SKH featured on cover of Black Belt Mag!

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone see and/or read the article in March 2007 Black Belt magazine featuring An-Shu Hayes? If so, what are your thoughts?

Tenguru

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone see and/or read the article in March 2007 Black Belt magazine featuring An-Shu Hayes? If so, what are your thoughts?

I saw the article, and read about half of it. I was confused. Is ToShinDo a synonym for Ninjutsu? The article (the half that I read) was about Ninjutsu. Just to clarify, I am not affialiated with any of the Bujinkan or Hatsumi derived organizations.

And what does the title "An-Shu" mean?

Arachne

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont think Toshindo is a synonym to Ninjutsu.
If Ninjutsu as a whole was like a family tree I think Toshindo would be a branch.

Is that the magazine where Haye's is featured in the top 10 - of all time - martial artists "including Bruce Lee, etc" ?

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I read the article. I thought it was good for the subject the article was covering.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw the article, and read about half of it. I was confused. Is ToShinDo a synonym for Ninjutsu? The article (the half that I read) was about Ninjutsu. Just to clarify, I am not affialiated with any of the Bujinkan or Hatsumi derived organizations.

Well, I saw the article and it was a little strange. What he talked about for the menkyo system is not applicable to the Togakure ryu, nor am I aware of any ninjutsu ryuha that followed that pattern as well. It is used in some arts, but there are differences and the specific details he did not make it clear what system he was talking about. He made it sound like it was applicable to all ninjutu systems, but that is not the case.

And the section on Shu ha ri was Ok, but is not exclusive to ninjutsu.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I saw the article and it was a little strange. What he talked about for the menkyo system is not applicable to the Togakure ryu, nor am I aware of any ninjutsu ryuha that followed that pattern as well. It is used in some arts, but there are differences and the specific details he did not make it clear what system he was talking about. He made it sound like it was applicable to all ninjutu systems, but that is not the case.

And the section on Shu ha ri was Ok, but is not exclusive to ninjutsu.

That's the problem that folks like myself have in trying to learn something about what this "ninjutsu" is all about - we can't tell if someone is telling the whole truth (or applicable truth) on a subject: especially if they have, or have had, a connection to Japan.

I'm a bit frustrated as an outside observer and I think SKH does need to more clearly specify when he is, or is not, speaking for all the ryu. Not bashing him, though - I respect and appreciate his MA accomplishments.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got the impression Mr. hayes was talking in general and not just about one martial art. Kind of an overview? Maybe I got it wrong.......