Siu Lim Tao differences – Ip family

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I have no political affiliation to the Yip family. My small experience of Ip Chun and his teaching was that he was not interested in fighting or practical application, but preferred a more internal way of training. His chi sao is the best I have ever come across (old school), and he knew a hell of a lot more about wing chun than most masters I have seen out there.

Yip Ching was friendly, positive and preferred more practical elements of wing chun. His third form blew me away and he had a great attitude

My only regret was that Ip Chun refused to teach me when I was over there (I was only allowed to watch a short part of the lesson, even though I snuck back again the next day), even though I offered to pay a good deal of money. I have no idea why this was and the guy has every right to teach whomever he wants. Just a bit sad as I felt I could have learnt a great deal from him.

Its a shame that you didn't get to train with si gung. When did you go over? The films meant alot of random folks turned up hoping to get taught and one always has to be careful of those who want to train a few times and then claim provenence. That said the VTAA and Sha tin classes have always been open to visitors so you must have been really unlucky.
As an aside Some of si gung's direct students are awesome fighters (including my own sifu) and have answered many challenges over the years.

Latest Discussions