Single Sticking Hands From a Side Position.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anybody else practice single arm chi sau from a side on position ?
I got turned onto it a few years ago by a senior instructor who is very much into the RBSD training and he said that it is worth training it from the side as well.

The point being that in reality we are not always going to be attacked from front on , and may not have enough time to square up to the attacker .

We may have to work from where we are and try to apply something from the side with one arm , such as a Fak Sau etc

Most of the time the Fak Sau will sweep any incoming punch off to the side and strike through to the attackers throat , which is great , but what if your technique is blocked.

Then you will find yourself having to apply your chi sau from this unfavourable side position with one arm as you attempt to orientate your body around to the more favourable square on position.

I think its worth training occasionally , having tried it out a few times I find that it does wear you out a bit more muscular wise than conventional chi sau , probably has something to do with the body mass not being square on behind the technique to give support to it.

Just like normal single sticking hands except you stand side by side facing the same direction, so your right arm to his left or vice versa , you should also practice the other configuration as well right arm to his right arm or left to left so that your arms are touching on the outside of the wrists and you are side by side but facing in opposite directions.

When your feeling comfortable with the movements you can start breaking contact and start throwing strikes and engaging in some one arm sparring from the side , with your spare hand bring it right across near your shoulder into a Wu sau to protect the temple and the side of your face .

Make sure you give equal training to both your arms and in the different configurations right to right , right to left and vice versa etc.

Keep your guard up people and have a -

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR :cheers:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody else practice single arm chi sau from a side on position ?
I got turned onto it a few years ago by a senior instructor who is very much into the RBSD training and he said that it is worth training it from the side as well.

Mr. Mook, the answer is yes. In addition, I were taught to utilize both arms, unlike the normal double chi sao, we alternating/switching upper body side to side WHILE using different WC steps. We also use leg works similar to Tai chi and Bagua.

I'm surprised and disappointed to see 99.9 percent of chi sao are practiced in the classic and static parallel facing position. It may teach you the correct body/arm/elbow/hand positioning and an idea of structure/alignment, IMO however, the legs are the foundation which the whole body structure is built upon.

That being said, doing chi sao ... single or double, throw in mobility and alternating upper body positioning will turn you drills up more than a couple of notch besides of founding out what you had being missing.

Wing Chun is an thinking man's art ... but there are much hidden than what meets the eyes my friends. This could be the new toy for the new year ... have fun ... :asian::asian::asian:

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do this quite a lot in Kamon (switching positions) and the most common for us is to use the upside down muen sao (seen quite a bit in bil tze). If done correctly, you're partner cannot get you, and it is very very useful in real confrontations

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
mook jong man,

If I'm following what you're talking about, Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun has a Kiu Sao (bridge arm) layer that addresses attacks from the side - Faat Sao Kiu Sao. We have an idiom "No shape, hit shadow" which is our rule set for sweeping that space safely and getting our facing engaged to a better position. Sounds similar to what you've worked out.

Last edited:

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kamon, I'm curious to see what your talking about, if you've by chance got a picture or a video handy and have a moment to post, I would very much appreciate it!
Thanks either way!
and happy new year mook!

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Happy new year Mook Jong Man !
Sounds great, is it cross spectrum or utilised in a specific lineage?

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Happy new year Mook Jong Man !
Sounds great, is it cross spectrum or utilised in a specific lineage?

No I'm afraid you will have to be in possession of a licence to perform it , otherwise the Wing Chun police will come and take you away. :uhyeah:

Nah anyone can do it , its just your everyday garden variety single sticking hands done in a slightly different way.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
No I'm afraid you will have to be in possession of a licence to perform it , otherwise the Wing Chun police will come and take you away. :uhyeah:

Nah anyone can do it , its just your everyday garden variety single sticking hands done in a slightly different way.

hahaha, efficient use of emoticons !!
Will ask sifu tomorrow.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Kamon, I'm curious to see what your talking about, if you've by chance got a picture or a video handy and have a moment to post, I would very much appreciate it!
Thanks either way!
and happy new year mook!

Sadly I dont. There used to be one on the kamon website but I think its been replaced

If you picture an upside down searching/guard hand (so that your little finger is on top of your hand) with the arm facing out from the side of your body

It makes an effective defensive guard, but you have to move your feet as well (ie dont just use your top half

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, is it almost like the back hand is a bong sau than? with the front being a wu sau?
I can't quite figure this out, I appreciate your response, and sorry for my lack of understanding on this, been playing around with my arms in the air for about 5 minutes trying to figure this out haha!

Latest Discussions