Silat in New York

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There doesnt appear to be much silat taught in NYC or is there?
does any one know of any schools or individuals?

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
those sites appear to be three of the maybe 4 I could find any info on in NYC. I have been too busy to visit any of them. I would really like to see some silat at least. I saw a video about 12 years ago but have never met anyone who practices it.

D

DerespinaKnives

brothershaw,
I have been searching NYC for good Silat instruction for years. I came across Suleiman Sharif doing Silat Sinegayong at Anderson's years back but he then moved the teaching out to his NJ house and that was too far. As Zujitsuka and pesilt have so nicely shown there is the Poekelan school on 14 st near 8ave that I have visited a couple of times and there Yana's school of Perisai Diri. The Poekelan as I understand it is not purely Silat and is combined with some kind of Karate ? It is visible when you see it in person in the forms. As for Perisai Diri, I have known some of it's students and the daughter of a former opponent of Yana's in Indonesia. I don't know much else about it though. I understand there are some long animal forms though ? Can't give any input at all on that. Otherwise you'ld probably haveto go out to Princeton New Jersey and see Rick Tucci and do Maphilindo Silat with him. I would do it in a heat beat if he were closer to NYC ! If you find anything by all means let me know ! Too bad Eddie Jafri passed away. He was in nYC for a little while and the tapes he did were very cool. I have heard a rumor that an old student of his still lives here and teaches but I have no idea how to get in touch and his name totally escapes me. Good luck.. Peace.....Rich

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
THakns for the input, I do know of another silat school in manhattan ( white crane silat) I think I mentioned it earlier at the beginning of this thread with a link to thier web site. I also came across mention of a guy in queens in college point on saturdays I dont know if that info is accurate anymore.I will forward the info once i find it again.

What is your m.a. background? I also am in BK I study wing chun and escrima. Private mesage reply is fine.

Latest Discussions