"Shovel" Concept

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
thanks Jin. Happy to see someone give back to the community instead of greedy money makers out there that would rather suppress information

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Very important to stress efficiency and good optimal movement vs. forcing and muscling things out.

My Teacher screams at us many times saying "You can't impress me with speed! I'm faster than all of you! You can impress me with good form and doing things correctly!"

And he's right. Good form will eventually lead to increased speed with little effort.

"Velocity comes from Familiarity".

Enjoy!

Juan Mercado-Robles

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
It all goes back to practicing the SLT form.
I remember my master saying that the structure of the stance is like a plastic ruler on its end. If pressure is applied to the end of the ruler and the ruler is kept straight then the ruler can tolerate a lot of force , but once it is bent then the integrity of the structure is weakened.

Thats why it is so important to keep your back straight and hips forward in order for you absorb force down into your stance.
It also helps if you have your arms in their optimum angle and shoulders and thighs nice and relaxed.

One thing I like to do to help with this ability to take force down into my stance is to get your partner to really lean on you in chi sau , I mean really put his whole body weight on you.

Try to stay relaxed in the arms and shoulders and just take the force down into your stance , if you are doing it correctly you should feel the pressure in your feet as though you are getting heavier from your partners force.

If you want to do it in a more isolated and static manner you can put up your Bong Sau and have him lean with both his forearms on your Bong Sau and see how much pressure you can take that way.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my years of wing chun experience, this “shovel” concept IMO is one of the most important. Hawkins Cheung puts alot of emphasis on this concept, especially if you are a “small frame” individual. hope you gain something from the video.

http://www.thechinaboxer.com/2009/10/30/shovel-concept/

take care and peace!

Jin

Thanks Jin, I always find your videos informative. I would differ on the back weighted stance however. In practice, its not at all like balancing on one leg. The front leg bears little weight, but applies considerable pressure like a brace or buttress. And when pressed, the front leg can either kick, or drag back and allow a turn to dissolve the oncoming energy. On the other hand I've seen the 40-60 stance work very well too. I think it's a matter of skill and personal preference which you use.

As for myself, I lift up my heel and stand on the ball of my foot (exactly as you said not to do) when I'm in a right foot forward stance. And that's not because I choose to do it that way, like the JKD guys. Nope, it's because I shattered my left ankle in an accident when I was about 21 and can't bend it to put my heel down. So I try to make do with what I've got!

OP
C

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
As for myself, I lift up my heel and stand on the ball of my foot (exactly as you said not to do) when I'm in a right foot forward stance. And that's not because I choose to do it that way, like the JKD guys. Nope, it's because I shattered my left ankle in an accident when I was about 21 and can't bend it to put my heel down. So I try to make do with what I've got!
gah, sorry to hear about your heel, bro. sounds like you've adapted well. the best martial arts methods were created as a result of what the founders felt were "disadvantages" which ended up becoming their greatest "advantages", keep it up!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are an asset my friend, I too enjoy your videos and input. The way you answer questions also reflects you fighting ability, yielding yet powerful, and to the point.

Latest Discussions