Shotokan As Applied to MMA

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The real question is how many of them will learn from the training methods he used to take his karate to that level and the cross training he did to support it.

I suspect he will be a model for any looking to make the leap in MMA. At the same time, I believe you can certainly attain a high level of karate achievement without making similar adaptations like Machida did. It all depends on what you are training for.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The real question is how many of them will learn from the training methods he used to take his karate to that level and the cross training he did to support it.

:wavey:

Of course I was doing it before Machida was cool...LOL!

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I skimmed over the thread... So I apologize if this has been covered...

I think the main difference between Machida's style of karate in MMA vs. other karate practitioners in MMA is more of a training issue than a style issue.

JKD143

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You may have missed my point, I agree with Tez that Karate IS NOT NEW MMA, yet NO ONE ( even in pride or shooto ) has been able to use it as effectively as Machida has….he is Currently 15-0, with wins over stephan bonner,Tito Ortiz, Rich Franklin and BJ Penn ( although a contraversal one at that ) THAT is what is exciting to see…..after all you have watched pride,surely you can see the difference in the way Machida uses his karate compared to other Japense fighters?? Machida and his Karate are now common knowledge because of how much it stands out in the way he fights.
THAT IS THE POINT!

Karate is not unique in MMA but the way in which Machida uses Karate is…….Similar to BJ Penn and jujitsu, have you ever seen anyone use Jujitsu the way Penn does?and how many UFC fighters are Jujitsu black belts??hell how many UFC fighters are high ranking Jujitsu players, yet have you ever seen anyone use jujitsu like Penn?NO.

I think maybe YOU need to read posts……not to mention I wasn’t replying direct to you in the slightest, merely I was giving my opinion ( it’s a forum after all is it not?...maybe the kenpo forum would be better suited to you)

lol at this. Disagree with the person in a post that obviously was geared toward much of what he/she said, then deny it was written to him/her at all, then restate what he/she said from the very beginning and then tell him/her to go to another forum. Ha, a stiff reminder of why I typically lurk a little and post even less.

Machida is an interesting fighter. His synthesis of styles and application of Karate should prove fun to watch for quite some time. For those of you saying his success has more to do with training than style, wouldn't you agree that his training methods are heavily influenced by his base style, since his father and brother coordinate most of that for him?

Latest Discussions