Shoot-Don't Shoot

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread in The Study regarding Sean Bell, who was shot in NYC by the police. The focus of this thread is on the shoot/don't shoot decision, probably one that is the hardest decision for an officer to make.

I came across this thread as well as a video. Please take some time to watch the 12 min 30 sec video, as I feel that it is important to this discussion.

Do you agree/disagree with what is said in the article as well as the clip?

In closing, I'd like to keep this discussion just on the shoot/dont shoot choice, if at all possible.

Mike

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen, I'd say it was a justified shooting. It seems that the officers had reason to feel threatened based on their perceptions of the actions of the people in the car.

a few general thoughts...

• People throw a hissy-fit everytime there is an incident where the cops fire a large number of rounds. What they don't understand is just how fast a lot of rounds can be expended when you have multiple people shooting weapons with high-capacity magazines. In this case there were five officers. If I'm not mistaken, the current weapon issued to NYPD officers is the Glock 19 9mm which has a magazine capacity of 15 rounds. That means that between the 5 officers, they could fire 80 rounds without reloading. I'm actually kinda surprised there weren't more rounds fired.
  • I actually thought the video was pretty good. The force-on-force scenarios that the reporter participated in might actually serve to open the eyes of some people as to how fast these types of incidents really happen and how quickly things can turn ugly.
  • Al Sharpton and Mayor Bloomberg are morons...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually thought the video was pretty good. The force-on-force scenarios that the reporter participated in might actually serve to open the eyes of some people as to how fast these types of incidents really happen and how quickly things can turn ugly

Yep..Just 2 days I went from sitting in a parking lot of my part time gig and chatting with one of the local female officers to crouched down behind a cruiser out with my weapon pointed at an occupied vehicle, all in the space of 1 and 1/2 minutes...

Al Sharpton and Mayor Bloomberg are morons...

No argument there...

texasmr2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
.Yep..Just 2 days I went from sitting in a parking lot of my part time gig and chatting with one of the local female officers to crouched down behind a cruiser out with my weapon pointed at an occupied vehicle, all in the space of 1 and 1/2 minutes.

Glad you ok Drac and yes it's crazy how fast one can go from good time's to a life threatening situation.

Latest Discussions