Shinden Fudo Ryu Jutaijutsu

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
[yt]x1nSRt4N4oA[/yt]

I was watching this video and I saw a technique @0:22 that caught my interest. Does Shinden Fudo Ryu Jutaijutsu really contain techniques for fighting off their back? If so, how deep does it cover?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The kata you're looking at is Gyaku Katamune Dori, the second kata in the Shoden Gata. Although you're only looking at the second half of the kata there, it begins with both in Fudoza, and you fall onto your back to bring the opponent in and control. It's the only one like that (excluding henka) within the school. Asayama Ichiden has a few similar techniques in it's syllabus.

OP
Tanaka

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The kata you're looking at is Gyaku Katamune Dori, the second kata in the Shoden Gata. Although you're only looking at the second half of the kata there, it begins with both in Fudoza, and you fall onto your back to bring the opponent in and control. It's the only one like that (excluding henka) within the school. Asayama Ichiden has a few similar techniques in it's syllabus.

Well I must say I'm always being impressed about the Ryu contained in Takamatsu-den.

Troy Wideman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Shinden Fudo Ryu has two other kata that are similar to Gyaku Kata Muna Dori, the first one Kata Muna Dori and Do Ude Ori. They both begin in Fudoza and are similar to the last one.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi again Troy,

Gyaku Katamune Dori is the only one that has you fall to your back (as in the clip), though (from memory it does happen in the formal henka of the others, though), which is why I didn't state them earlier, as the OP is asking about fighting from your back.

Troy Wideman

Green Belt
Reaction score
HI Chris,
ahhh I see how you are making the distinction. However, both patterns of Kata Muna Dori and Do ude ori can have you falling back, then bringing the arm over so you turn Attacker to his stomach, with arm locked out straight. Actually when ":do ude ori" is done this way it is much more effective. The lock is very similar to one from Asayama Ichiden Ryu.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tengu Otoshi/Tengu Gaeshi I assume there? Very fun (albeit nasty things to get caught in!) versions there! That's what I was refering to when I mentioned Asayama earlier as well.... great minds and all, yeah?

Latest Discussions