Shinden Fudo Ryu?

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know that Shinden Fudo Ryu is inspired by nature, in the sense that we should incorporate natural movement, that can be free and relaxed but also hard and powerful. The philosophy of flowing, adapting and changing; like nature, evidently in a similar sense to various 'soft' arts of China such as Taiji.
Furthermore, Shinden Fudo Ryu consists of Dakenjutsu: striking techniques, and Jutaijutsu: grappling techniques.

This, however is all i know on the subject, can anyone elaborate further? Am i on the right track?

Thanks for your time.

'The secret principle is to know the foundations of peace' - Masaaki Hatsumi.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The problem is that there are those who don't realize that natural movements do not always mean the same as comfortable movements.

OP
Laoshi77

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess this would imply 'forcing' the movements, which would in turn create tension.

OP
Laoshi77

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So forcing it, is not bad then, surely that's not right either.
Ok, movement is key, but in the legs? Can you expound on this theory some more, if you please?!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's a hint: I sometimes tell people who don't train that I'll give them 100 bucks if they stand in a horse stance for five minutes. You rarely end up being poorer.

OP
Laoshi77

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been training in Taijiquan and Kung Fu (Wing Chun) for ten years now. I'd take that bet and your money!

But seriously, it's not all about strength in the legs, is it?!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I said I tell that to people who DON'T train, so the offer's not available to you...:rolleyes:

No, but you do need to bend your knees and move around a lot. Given the fact that you and I haven't been training for very long, relatively speaking, that's what we should probably be more concerned about rather than trying to be Hatsumi.

Sometimes though it seems to me that if you tell a Bujinkan member that something is natural you can make him/her act as strange as you want...:idunno:

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's more about punching with your feet. But not really at all.

Keep in mind that Shinden Fudo Ryu was never meant to be a beginning school. It is built upon a solid foundation of other Ryu.

But damn is that sword ever big!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
...And your shoulders, and your elbows, and your hands, and your hips...

And even your pee pee!!

Ok, sorry about the realultimatepower reference.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
?

Last I heard, it was the first school Takamatsu sensei started with...

We're talking about two different things. And either you know so or I'm confused. :idunno:

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
We're talking about two different things.

Really?

You wrote, "Keep in mind that Shinden Fudo Ryu was never meant to be a beginning school. It is built upon a solid foundation of other Ryu.
"

I'm sitting here reading that and thinking, "What?! Not meant to be a BEGINNING school?!?! As far as I know, Shindenfudo ryu was the first ryu that Takamatsu sensei learned from Toda sensei. And, from what I've been told, the sign outside of Toda sensei's dojo said "SHINDEN FUDO RYU DOJO""....So what do you mean by "beginning"? Do you not mean first? Have I been in Japan so long that my English skills have deteriorated that considerably?

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
You mean the same way naginatajutsu relates to kihon happo, something like that perhaps??

No. Don't put words in mouth.

This statement is more on the mark:

Don Roley said:
And even your pee pee!!

As I understand it, body position and momentum create this "natural power"...not just "your legs". If your legs are going in the correct direction, but your shoulders and elbows are out of position, there won't be a natural transition of force from tori to uke.

Maybe someone else could elaborate some more...do I hear Don Roley's skull covered ice cream truck rolling up???

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
So what do you mean by "beginning"? Do you not mean first?
:asian:

Sorry for the confusion. It's hard to reach understanding when one person is talking out of their butt. We do that a lot over here.

I was speaking more about the lineages and how movements build upon each other. But of course I should have kept my mouth shut rather than comment on topics on which I am unsure and inexperienced.

OP
Laoshi77

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello all.

I started off this post with a quick summary of some of the points within Shinden Fudo Ryu.

If possible could we push the debate a little more in that particular direction regarding the philosophy of nature in the approach to Shinden Fudo Ryu. Or maybe the Dakenjutsu and Jutaijutsu aspects would help very much, thanks.

Best wishes.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
Maybe someone else could elaborate some more...do I hear Don Roley's skull covered ice cream truck rolling up???

No, I am too busy making ############' life a living hell.

I have to go with Kizaru on the matter of Shinden Fudo ryu being a sperate matter from the other schools. According to the stories passed down to us, the school existed prior to the family holding it blending with other schools. Whether the schools influenced each other or not is a matter of debate.

But I think that the Shinden Fudo ryu is a seperate school in almost all respects. The ways of moving do have things that have common ground with schools like the Gyokko ryu and Kukishinden ryu- but many schools tend to have such similarities because what works will be used by many different sources.

But there are some very, very important differences between the Shinden Fudo ryu and schools like the Gyokko ryu. This is rather a sore point for me since my first Bujinkan teacher (nickname- "The Evil One") taught us the Shinden Fudo ryu not based on his own experience but rather off of some notes he got from someone else. There were a lot of things that he took from other ways of moving in the Bujinkan, even those as basic as how to recieve an attack. When I first started learning Shinden Fudo ryu in Japan in 1998, I could hardly believe how different the basic ways of moving was from what I was taught.

So maybe the lesson is that we should deal with this years theme as if it had nothing to do or build on from other schools and look at it with new eyes. I speak from somewhat bitter experience here.