Shin guards for short guy with thick calves?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty short (5'5"), and half my muscle mass is in my calves. I can't buy small shin guards because the straps won't fit. I can't buy large shin guards because they don't fit my shins. I had ordered a pair of large RDX shin guards. If I stretch the middle strap, it barely reaches around my calf. But the ankle joint is pressing into my ankle and the top strap is digging into my knee, and the foot protector is so far past my toes it's touching the ground.

Either that or some recommendation on how to make smaller shin guards fit my calves.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it definitely comes down to trying them on. I would consider mid size fairtex shin guards. They should fit so that just the knee is exposed at the top. In Muay Thai it's okay if your toes are exposed because you kick with the shin or the bottom of your foot. That's how I believe they are designed to fit.

I ordered a pair of Boons and hated them, worthless purchase, they actually cut into me and causes pain. Twins are nice but where heavier than I wanted. I settled on Fairtex and love them. But I think getting somewhere where you can try them on is key.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it definitely comes down to trying them on. I would consider mid size fairtex shin guards. They should fit so that just the knee is exposed at the top. In Muay Thai it's okay if your toes are exposed because you kick with the shin or the bottom of your foot. That's how I believe they are designed to fit.
I had the opposite problem, toes are sheltered like a pastor's kid.
I ordered a pair of Boons and hated them, worthless purchase, they actually cut into me and causes pain. Twins are nice but where heavier than I wanted. I settled on Fairtex and love them. But I think getting somewhere where you can try them on is key.
I'll have to ask folks at my gym if they know a good place to try them on. In my experience, most sporting goods stores don't have too much in the way of martial arts equipment, and if they do it's just boxing gloves and mouthguards.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had the opposite problem, toes are sheltered like a pastor's kid.
Ha! I was a pastors kid, this is great! 😃

Yeah, here in Thailand, you can obviously find shin guards in person to try on much easier. These products typically do list measurements when selling them. That might be helpful. If I had to take a stab in the dark I think I would try the mid size fairtex shin guards though.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps the thing to do is buy a pair where the shin portion fits you shin properly, and the straps could be modified if needed. Buy some Velcro straps from the hardware store and use them to lengthen the straps on the item. Either sew them onto the existing straps, or use a heavy grade epoxy.