Share your greatest song or lyric???

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Murlocs are one of my favorite bands. Francesca is a song about the lead singerā€™s mom. His dad left when he was a kid, and his mom had recently met a guy. This is a song about how happy she seems now. Sweet song about sweet Francesca.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I may be the only guy here who likes hip hop, but Aesop rock is my guy. This is a song calling out posers. Something that happens around here from time to time. šŸ˜…. Cool video, too.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a romantic lyric, this is rather beautiful-

ā€˜Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sow timeā€™ - All of My Love by Led Zeppelin

Indicating the inexorable loss of youth and friends -

ā€˜First my looks and now my friends
Day-by-day, Iā€™m losing them
Losing them, losing collagen, losing elastinā€¦ā€™ Good Day by Bombay Bicycle Club

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

ā€˜Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sow timeā€™ - All of My Love by Led Zeppelin

I always thought that was a song about his kid.
Losing them, losing collagen, losing elastinā€¦ā€™ Good Day by Bombay Bicycle Club
Thatā€™s a wild song. ā€œIf I had a job, then Iā€™d have everything I want. The Iā€™d quit my job.ā€

I like this version of Good Day, by Nappy Roots Very different kind of songā€¦ maybe a little more optimistic.

@We might as well do exactly what the children sayin'
Take a day off hit park and just hang
Barbecue, roll a few, and put up your deuce
If it's beef put down the peace up and put on your dukes
It's time to change our ways
So we can save the day
For the children's sake and make a better place to playā€

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought that was a song about his kid.
I didnā€™t know that.
Thatā€™s a wild song. ā€œIf I had a job, then Iā€™d have everything I want. The Iā€™d quit my job.ā€
Iā€™m surprised youā€™ve heard of them.

Have you heard of ā€˜The Smithsā€™ in the USA? Theyā€™re famous for their depressing lyrics juxtaposed with jolly music.]

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh Iā€™m so sorry to hear this. I wish her a speedy recovery.
ā€ā€¦I know, I know itā€™s serious. There were times when I could have murdered her, but I would hate anything to happen to her, no I donā€™t to see her. Do you really think sheā€™ll pull through?ā€¦ā€ itā€™s a Smiths song. ā€œGirlfriend in a comaā€

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ā€ā€¦I know, I know itā€™s serious. There were times when I could have murdered her, but I would hate anything to happen to her, no I donā€™t to see her. Do you really think sheā€™ll pull through?
Wing Woo Gar!! The police might be reading thi!

ā€¦ā€ itā€™s a Smiths song. ā€œGirlfriend in a comaā€
Ohā€¦My friend went to Wythenshawe College with Johnny Marr (The Smiths unique guitarist). He says he was cool, bohemian, wearing velvet jackets and a silk cravat and he was very popular being the ā€˜cock of the schoolā€™ (meaning the toughest, best fighter in the college). But, typical of his left-field personality, he used to look after, protect and fight for the geeks, nerds and fat kids that generally got picked on!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I didnā€™t know that.

Iā€™m surprised youā€™ve heard of them.

Have you heard of ā€˜The Smithsā€™ in the USA? Theyā€™re famous for their depressing lyrics juxtaposed with jolly music.]
lol. In the 80s, the smiths were my jam. The queen is dead, vicar in a tutu, girlfriend in a comaā€¦. I donā€™t know if anyone under 40 knows who they are, but in the 80s, they were quite popular with mopey teens. :)

Another more recent example of sad lyrics and happy music are Lily Allenā€™s first few albums.

LDN is a good example:

But my favorite is Alfie:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Reminded me of this son.

"She was one in a million. That means there's 5 more just in new south Wales"

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. In the 80s, the smiths were my jam. The queen is dead, vicar in a tutu, girlfriend in a comaā€¦. I donā€™t know if anyone under 40 knows who they are, but in the 80s, they were quite popular with mopey teens. :)
Well didnā€™t know they were known in the USAā€¦
Another more recent example of sad lyrics and happy music are Lily Allenā€™s first few albums.

LDN is a good example:

But my favorite is Alfie:

I used to quite like her music, but her overuse of the ā€˜glottal stopā€™ annoys me!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminded me of this son.

"She was one in a million. That means there's 5 more just in new south Wales"
In the same vein, I once sent this comedic and clever song to a girlfriend and it initiated a barrage of rage, anger distrust and eventually the sweet quietude of silence. If only she was a scientistā€¦

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had a few things happen between Thanksgiving to Christmas that pretty much took the majority of what I thought the future might hold and completely trashed them... this song seems to be working for me at the moment.... considering the day

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Had a few things happen between Thanksgiving to Christmas that pretty much took the majority of what I thought the future might hold and completely trashed them... this song seems to be working for me at the moment.... considering the day

Sorry to hear that.

Latest Discussions