Share your greatest song or lyric???

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight, it has to be anything by David Bowie. :( RIP.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This song hit me today...along the lines of what I am thinking marital arts wise

For the first time I did not think of it as arrogance, or delusions of grandeur during and after this song

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Had not thought of this one for a long while but it reentered my mind as I was looking for songs for jamming with some buddies:

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Flatfish, hey when you say jammin you play in a band yes? man that is awesome.. can imagine that song played out into the evening with the sun setting :)

love this for the harmonica :)

~~~~

@Xue Sheng, XS, hey you are a sweetie for putting the title so I do not have to view frame sources haha, I can copy pasta that easier! :) hey I can get down on this beat, that just hit the spot :) .. ok so do not screw up your nose..; you have to indulge me here haha x

~~~~

@ShawnP, hey you feel like this most days? It is like anger? maybe it is more like a frustration? You would say you were content with feeling this way every day? x

you are a music junkie, what else you like?

Have not heard this in long time, until this morning.. some times I question my self for liking this haha..

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
@Flatfish, hey when you say jammin you play in a band yes? man that is awesome.. can imagine that song played out into the evening with the sun setting :)

@Jenna .Well not really. I play a lot of Old Time music (think fiddles and banjos and hippies and Birkenstocks) and those are just jams. We get together, the fiddler picks the tune and starts playing and the rest try to keep up :)

Recently I have been getting together with some other folks who play some more folk, Grateful Dead etc kind of stuff. We're trying to work out how the things they like to play will fit with my stuff (and instruments: banjo, guitar, cigarbox guitar, and, when I feel like really annoying the crap out of someone, fiddle)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@Xue Sheng, XS, hey you are a sweetie for putting the title so I do not have to view frame sources haha, I can copy pasta that easier! :) hey I can get down on this beat, that just hit the spot :) .. ok so do not screw up your nose..; you have to indulge me here haha x

~~~~

Hey, I have nothing against Van Halen and Jump.

Here's one for you, from their front man

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
[USER=34605 said:
@ShawnP[/USER], hey you feel like this most days? It is like anger? maybe it is more like a frustration? You would say you were content with feeling this way every day? x

you are a music junkie, what else you like?

Have not heard this in long time, until this morning.. some times I question my self for liking this haha..

@ JENNA i basically listen to everything from (my fav)

to (also my fav) WARNING LANGUAGE

my youtube Chanel when im in a bad mood i listen to the full list.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Flatfish, Hey.. did you construct your own cigarbox guitar? I should like to hear that in action! :) Hey I like the old hippie stuff though that maybe span a range of genres yes? I think hippie music I think of these no??

Who else would you say was hippie genre of music besides Grateful Dead? hey you play Friend of the Devil on your cigarbox through your fuzz and swirly phaser haha you turn it psychadelic man :)

Does this do any thing for you?? I like this guy plenty :)

would like to hear what is your favourite right now or what you working out chords or tabs for??

~~~~

@Xue Sheng, XS hey you did not admonish me for VH haha.. never hear DLR is he still alive.. Hey speak of old school.. I adore this and not sure why it did not get more love.. maybe you like it with me J

~~~~

@ShawnP, hey you like a range of music is what you are depicting here yes?? I like your choices.. Beethoven? what is it do you like about Beethoven? Linkin Park you like who they are now, they had changed then kind of come around again yes?? you have liked them from the very start?? hey you know there are plenty metal Beethoven covers, moonlight sonata and ode to joy, do you like symphonic metal crossover like this or do you keep yours strictly separate??

so like what is your favourite or most listened-to song right now so I have a clearer picture of you ShawnP?? J

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
@Jenna ......no no no not hippie music ;). Old time music played by hippies. Such as:

I've been playing that kind of music for years mostly banjo.

I actually hardly know any "Dead" songs so hanging out with the new group of people who like that kind of music is interesting and different. They would like to play some of their songs with a more Bluegrassy vibe, hence they invited my banjo.

The latest I worked out was that "Moonshiner" tune I posted above on guitar and harmonica.

I did like that Kurt Vile vid...might have to spend some time listening to more of his stuff.

As for the cigarbox guitars. Yes I build these and sell them on occasion. Here's two examples....excuse the crappy playing.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
@Flatfish,

@ShawnP, hey you like a range of music is what you are depicting here yes?? I like your choices.. Beethoven? what is it do you like about Beethoven? Linkin Park you like who they are now, they had changed then kind of come around again yes?? you have liked them from the very start?? hey you know there are plenty metal Beethoven covers, moonlight sonata and ode to joy, do you like symphonic metal crossover like this or do you keep yours strictly separate??

so like what is your favourite or most listened-to song right now so I have a clearer picture of you ShawnP?? J
@ JENNA No i dont actually have a "favorite", i dont think i ever have tbh, but i think the most listened to "lately" has to be
but over the years because the music goes back that far would have to be anything by Led Zeppelin and not any one song in particular because i dont usually just listen to one song and change genres. to me its like a journey (and yet another great group) that takes me to different places depending on my mood, usually when i listen to Beethoven i end up in a really bad mood and angry at the world, and its just the opposite for Seether, i end up in a great mood and happy. some times i listen for hours and its like a roller coaster of emotions and the ride is just awesome.
What i love about Beethoven is his purity and perfection of telling a story with his song and without words. i mean can you imagine composing something with telling your story in mind? how would you actually go about some thing like that and have people understand it! As far as that video yo posted no i dont like it, i think it just destroys its essence, but dont get me wrong, i do admire the artists originality with using the electric guitar, it just does nothing for me.

yes i love Linkin Park, just as FlyLeaf changed AFTER they became a huge hit, i think they were just expressing their true sound buy changing, and not just to make No.1 hits for their labels. i mean if you listen to FlyLeafs early music (not necessarily the lyrics), one might suggest that its the "Devils" sound seeing as they are a Christian Band. but After they "made it big" their or i should say Her music sort of mellowed quite a bit, but either way its all great music and makes the journey that much better.

Last edited:
OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Flatfish, aha not hippie music forgive me! :) hey I love that song you shared Sugar Hill it is true proper folk music and ought to be preserved by todays musicians.. my nanna played fiddle music from her old country so I have a fondness.. there is lot to be learnt technically from the old music, yes? I think traditional music is very important.. I am digressing though.. love that song you shared.. would very much like to hear more of your favourites if you can

And you play banjo and hey I bet you avoid Foggy mountain breakdown like guitarists avoid Stairway haha.. Cripple creek give your fingers a workout though yes?? :) Cool that you are doing your own take on the Gratefuls.. you sound like a versatile musician I bet it would be such fun to jam with you all.. hey no way is that you playing the Tomn waits?? you have skills mister! I guess there are hundred ways to tune cigarbox too right? like the banjo?? awesome I be liking that a lot.. and what else you have?

Love it when it is the kids though right? :) finger pickin good

~~~~~~

@Xue Sheng, man you did not get that video why what country you in?? a backwards one like me?? haha just jokin.. you should see my screen here it is just lot of black blank boxes where videos should go! :) Song I sent was Robert Plant ~ Rainbow if you can find it.. and thank goodness DLR still going strong.. ooh Bad horsie really has such a badass vibe love that and guess what.. he managed it all on a mere 6 strings this time who need 12 haha.. what else you got XS, that was tasty.. hey I have one for you then and you do not be shouty, I share this with you not to be culturally significant and but just to give you a smiley maybe :) the video is fun if you are able to view it in that ol country you are in! ;) fingers crossed this make you smile even a little smile :)

~~~~~~

@ShawnP, hey I can tell you are a true music fan how you expound your thoughts.. you are as enthusiastic with your martial arts maybe? you use LP music when you train your circuits and things? The Seether song totally rocks that is like from long time ago though right? You have come back to listen to it because it make you happy? yet Beethoven bring you down.. that is interesting though I totally get how you mean about an up-down ride of emotion.. I am same as you that way with music.. so tell me do you feel in a certain mood then find the song to match and keep you company in that mood or do you have a song that change your mood to a better mood? or maybe it just depends right?

Zepp haha that is a given how can a person not have any soft spot for old Zepp, right? you are totally right though bands do change and but then some people that like them at the start do not want no changes and then they be hating.. people ehh? and can I ask please if you do not mind what you think of Christian metal I mean did you like Flyleaf the better for the faith or do you not much care?

How about Korn you still have love for them maybe? lot of haters there too right? what else you have for me??

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@Xue Sheng, man you did not get that video why what country you in?? a backwards one like me?? haha just jokin.. you should see my screen here it is just lot of black blank boxes where videos should go! :) Song I sent was Robert Plant ~ Rainbow if you can find it.. and thank goodness DLR still going strong.. ooh Bad horsie really has such a badass vibe love that and guess what.. he managed it all on a mere 6 strings this time who need 12 haha.. what else you got XS, that was tasty.. hey I have one for you then and you do not be shouty, I share this with you not to be culturally significant and but just to give you a smiley maybe :) the video is fun if you are able to view it in that ol country you are in! ;) fingers crossed this make you smile even a little smile :)

I like it, I also like the claymation and I will never say the same thing twice..I like it, I also like the claymation :)

Here is one of Steve Vai's guitar teachers.

Joe Satriani

Joe Satriani - The Extremist

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
@Flatfish,
And you play banjo and hey I bet you avoid Foggy mountain breakdown like guitarists avoid Stairway haha.. Cripple creek give your fingers a workout though yes?? :) Cool that you are doing your own take on the Gratefuls.. you sound like a versatile musician I bet it would be such fun to jam with you all.. hey no way is that you playing the Tomn waits?? you have skills mister! I guess there are hundred ways to tune cigarbox too right? like the banjo?? awesome I be liking that a lot.. and what else you have?

@Jenna

No bluegrass banjer for me. I play what we call Clawhammer style...quite a bit different. The banjo in the vid below is a fret free mountain banjo I built a couple of years ago. Played by a slightly younger and chubbier me.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
@ShawnP, hey I can tell you are a true music fan how you expound your thoughts.. you are as enthusiastic with your martial arts maybe? you use LP music when you train your circuits and things? The Seether song totally rocks that is like from long time ago though right? You have come back to listen to it because it make you happy? yet Beethoven bring you down.. that is interesting though I totally get how you mean about an up-down ride of emotion.. I am same as you that way with music.. so tell me do you feel in a certain mood then find the song to match and keep you company in that mood or do you have a song that change your mood to a better mood? or maybe it just depends right?

Zepp haha that is a given how can a person not have any soft spot for old Zepp, right? you are totally right though bands do change and but then some people that like them at the start do not want no changes and then they be hating.. people ehh? and can I ask please if you do not mind what you think of Christian metal I mean did you like Flyleaf the better for the faith or do you not much care?

How about Korn you still have love for them maybe? lot of haters there too right? what else you have for me??

i used to be enthusiastic about MAs but no more since i aged and got sick i am unable to train like i used to, also i had some really bad experiences i do not wish to speak of here that turned me away from MAs, i vowed never to return or even so much as lift my leg in a sideways motion but over time i see that decision was an immature and brash one made in the heat of the moment type.

not sure what you mean by "circuits and things" but Yes i used to listen to and perform my Katas to music i liked, as well as to help me remember certain sequences, one in particular i used to practice was our second Kata to the song "dissident" by Pearl Jam.
the form just fit so well where i would have to time the pauses with the slow breathing parts within the Kata and drag some parts out while speeding others up to the beat, quite challenging and fun to play around with.

i don't really like most of the newer music like most rap and techno, when i was 3 or 4 my mom would get mad because i would wake her up early in the morning listening to loud music, so one day i figured i would hide in the closet so she wouldn't catch me, i took 4 small portable AM radios and dialed them to WRKO AM radio and turned the volume up all the way, Janis Joplins "Piece of My Heart" was playing and the next song was Black Sabbaths "War Pigs"..that's when she flung the closet door open and just stood there looking at me with complete dismay shaking her head, she turned the radios off picked me up and hugged me and started laughing, so i guess i love what i grew up on.

i remember reading some where that it was common that Beethoven made listeners angry or upset. i think it might just be different for everyone though.

i guess a little of both, i some times listen to rage music when I'm frustrated or stressed out from work, other times i will hear a song and that begins the journey and where i end up who knows, but at the end i always end up asleep.

music is all about how it makes me feel, i am not religious in any way so it really doesn't matter if they are Christian or not. FlyLeaf is a great band and i had no idea they where a Christian band when i first heard them, i found their you tube videos and figured out the lyrics and well the rest is history i guess, Creed was another band i had no idea was Christian music but i love their songs too. here is a channel i was listening to that has a pretty good selection of Christian Rock
AND I LOVE KORN!!!! there is some thing about Jonathan Davis voice that just hits that spot with me, it just pulls me in.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@ballen0351, hey you posted a song a while ago I did not comment back on.. do not know how I did not see it and I am sorry.. and but it is a massive cover for sure.. I have been listening all today ha.. and but had me wondering if this was your normal listening? Like I see you here as a takes-no-**** kind of guy and I think you are not an Adele fan.. so then this is some thing that is another different thing? I am interested.. haha I read too much into what is just a song.. forgive me :) I listen to your song good few times today thank you it fit the bill for me :) Maybe I can share one back?? This work for you?? Jx

~~~~~~

@Tony Dismukes, Tony hey you opsted some songs I did not see and seem rude I did not reply sorry! I have been listening too to Chris Smither he is very soothing to my ear.. there is a song called Train Home I had listened to at the time? it have a resonation for me.. I wonder where you are listening to this music.. to me it is music that need its own time and not for hearing in the car maybe?? And who else would you share some thing else maybe that you like?? I think this here is too rough for that style.. I have soft spot for his voice that I would not have had years ago.. you have a place for this? Jx

~~~~~~

@Xue Sheng, lot of choons here mister! :) hey you like your rock hard and your players well schooled I hear! Hey you paint a good picture of your self with these here! Like driving west after the sunset.. that is how I hear these haha

I like some lyrics in here.. It is like a throwaway your mind song hah

hey what are you listening to atm? Like what song is keeping you company in your car or while you are at work.. or maybe they do now let you listen to music at work?? Maybe you must be switched on to 100% client focused attention all of the time there? x

~~~~~~

@Flatfish, hey thank you for sharing that! A fretless banjo? I had never known of that! you got plenty glissando to make the best of no frets right? you crafted this instrument your self too?? that took some skill I think! made it out of what? like just from scratch pieces of wood lying around? that is satisfying I bet to make an instrument and then rock it too.. It is easy to keep tuned? I should love to have a jam on that though I would probably cause it to sound like a broken sitar hah. You are accomplished musician and you are maybe from a family who were also musicians or you are a self taught? I am all questions.. :)

Here is a randomly random selection for you ha.. it is a one word connection to yours.. this I found because it belong off an old English tv show theme.. I listen to this kind of thing when working deep in a motor or something haha.. it let you drift off to daydreams then bring you back again :) you have heard of these??

~~~~~~

@ShawnP, hey I know the feeling that you are not able to train so much.. can be frustrating though yes? I had to adapt my training very much to account for my infirmities haha.. I am sorry to know you had bad experiences though.. it is all life learning though if you understand its lesson which it sound like you do in ways.. Pearl Jam is like real old school reminding me of my childhood, specially Rearviewmirror.. yes that is what I mean you used the music along with your training.. I like that :) Haha you had to hide your Joplin and Sabbath in the closet.. you had no earphones back then?? haha.. Truly though I so like the idea far better of hiding out with your quad radios! I can picture that so clearly :) Warpigs is awesome music! Liking your tastes :) reckon I must listen to songs in much the same way as you to keep pace with my changing mood right? I agree totally bout Jonathan Davis.. glad you still listening.. Hollow life? one of my favs.. Hey you know these?? this is an old of theirs..you like them??

And really you would not listen to techno or rap?? I am surprised a little specially if you are like a Korn fan? Awww I have space in my heart for all styles and but fair enough I will not try to share any with you.. or.. well here is a shot of old dubstep with Mr Davis lovely tones to leave you with :)

Killbot - Feel Alive

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Jenna actually I heard the country songer CAM do a cover of Hello on the radio and started wondering whoelse did a cover of the song. Thats how I came across that cover. I will admit i generally dont listen to Pop/R&B but Adele has some pipes on her that girl can sing. I have been know to listen to her from time to time

Latest Discussions