Shaolin Superman Probed By Scientists

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bear in mind that these types of 'news releases' can be self-generated - not necessarily news stories, but self-advertising as news. Still, thought it was interesting enough to post.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/03/prweb2268684.htm

A group of scientists have been brought together as part of a martial arts and science event organised by the London Science Museum to explore how 34th generation fighting Shaolin disciple Shifu Yan Lei can be beaten with bricks and iron bars without sustaining injury or feeling pain. This is the first time in the world that Shaolin Steel Jacket has been tested by scientists.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The universities named are certainly reputable ones and the Science Musuem is a wonderful place to go to have science explained to you in entertaining terms, it's a great draw for children. Do go if you ever have the chance. They often have scientific experiments and demonstrations like this to bring science to the wider public, that said they are very serious scientists. I wouldn't doubt their findings in this case, I think it's a good physical explanation. I'm also not surprised as the human body is an amazing thing and I don't think we understand all it's capabilities even now.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Which Iron Shirt trick are they testing?

The one where one performer takes a double edged sword and chops a melon in midair with the sharp edge and then performs a cut on the subject's abdomen after blinding the audience to the fact he swapped over to the dull edge?

The one where they use a weak spearshaft and put the spearhead at an angle to his chest where it *can't* go straight in as they push forward intil"The spear bends until it snaps"?

The cannonball to the gut from a very short cannon with only the very minimum amount of powder necessary to propel it?

Or some other one?

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Huhuh, he said probed.
bandb.jpg

hehe, Yeah! Probed!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like he'll be selling lots more DVD's since taking these tests. I suspect this might be more a marketing ploy than anything else, especially since the "results" seem pretty weak... I'd expect a lot more testing if they were serious about it.

Notes to editors:
Shifu Yan Lei is a 34th generation fighting disciple from the Shaolin Temple in Henan, China. He has been studying Shaolin martial arts for over twenty years, and is the UK's expert in Shaolin Qi Gong and Kung Fu. He has a popular range of DVDs which are designed to guide you through the authentic Shaolin teachings of Qi Gong and Shaolin Kung Fu. They frequently top the Amazon martial art's best sellers' chart, and offer a graded teaching system with exercises and practices direct from the Shaolin Temple in China.
The Shaolin Qi Gong DVD range includes: • Shaolin Warrior: Qi Gong Vols. 1-3 • Available from: http://www.shifuyanlei.co.uk.