Seminars ?

L

legend29

Are seminars beneficial ? How much can you learn in a couple days ? I can see where it would help if you were currently studying the style based on the seminar, but what if you wasn't ! Would it benefit the student who was interested in other arts but never studies them ? Would it help someones skill level in the art being taught ? It's just hard to phathom what a couple days can do for the martial artist. Lets say I've never studied BJJ and that there is not any BJJ schools near me, but there is an upcoming Royce Gracie seminar in my area, would it be beneficial for me to attend ? This is just an example I made up to hopefully let everyone know what I'm meaning . Thanks for listening.

Richie

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If uou go to the BJJ seminar, say, you at least know what you're missing, and can judge the effectiveness of the art. I find that sort of thing very worthwhile for me. It's not as much a case of improving your skills as broadening your horizons.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bring information from a seminar back into your own studio can be an 'interesting' experience. Techniques that you learn in your own studio can, and will be, presented in a different manner in a seminar. Sometimes the differences are small, sometimes, they are not so small.

You can certainly take valuable information away from any seminar you attend, but be certain to leave the inappropriate items outside your own studio.

I attended the IKKA International Sunday seminars in Boston back in August. I have been studying Ed Parker's American Kenpo for two and a half years, and was about to test for my 3rd brown belt. I think Martin Wheeler was doing a short class on 'Systema'; which, from my point of view, revolved around staying fluid and loose to avoid incoming contact. As we tried to work this technique into 'Thundering Hammers', it was just plain weird. In Kenpo, Rule Number One (according to Huk Planas anyway) is, Establish Your Base.

Stay Fluid & Loose is not equal to Establish Your Base.

After 10 minutes in his seminar, I realized that I could not continue with this session. It would just plain screw up my stuff before my test.

Now ...all this being said, I still attend seminars, but I try to stay close to home .. Kenpo - Planas ;)

Good Luck - Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
legend29 said:
Are seminars beneficial ?

Yes, they are very beneficial

How much can you learn in a couple days ?

You will learn ALOT! Will you remember everything? Probably not. I attended a week long Arnis camp in Chicago last year. It was great! Sooo much stuff to learn. I also took many notes, as well as getting together with my Inst, and video taping what we did during each segment. Chances are, that you'll see the same material again at futrure seminars. Its better to take a few things, and really work them, then trying to remember everything. Just my opinion.

I can see where it would help if you were currently studying the style based on the seminar, but what if you wasn't !

Well, that might be a little hard. I went to a Combat Hapkido seminar, a long time ago, taught by John Pellegrini. No background in Hapkido at all, but then again, it wasnt your trad. Hapkido anyway. The locking techs. that he taught were very similar to the FMA that I have been training in, so I was able to adapt fairly easy. Then again, nothing wrong with getting a taste of something new. Again, as I said above, if you learn one thing, then IMO, it was worth it!

Would it benefit the student who was interested in other arts but never studies them ?

Yes! ANYTIME you have a chance to learn something new, its making you better.

Would it help someones skill level in the art being taught ?

Absolutely! I walked away with SOOO much from the arnis camp. My skill level went up so much after that week.

It's just hard to phathom what a couple days can do for the martial artist. Lets say I've never studied BJJ and that there is not any BJJ schools near me, but there is an upcoming Royce Gracie seminar in my area, would it be beneficial for me to attend ?

Dude, having any ground skill is gonna help you. That is something that I have been preaching to the stand up guys for a long time---the importance of learning about the ground game. DEFINATELY attend the Gracie seminar. Will you be able to walk out and defeat someone on the ground? Probably not, but its a start in a very good direction! Are there any BJJ schools near you? If not in the same town, how far would you have to drive to get to one?

I hope that this was of a help to you! Go to as many camps/seminars that you can. Not only will you be learning something new, but you'll have the chance to meet so many great people.

Mike

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I attend a ton of seminars. The most important reason for me is the person teaching it. I go to many seminars to get to meet great martial artists and see how they apply their art.

I also go for the occational WOW technique. These are the ones that are pretty unique to the system. They make nice dirty tricks to throw in during sparring/sensitivity/free style.

I'll also go to one to get a taste of a different system and see if I'm interested.

Another reason is tactics and philosophies. These vary per art and instructor and they may be very helpful supplimental info to how you currently practice.

How about networking, not only with the instructor, but with other attendees. This is a great way to build a relationship with another school, instructor or style, not to mention the people you can meet and become friends with.

I personally don't take many notes and have a very low level of retention from a seminar, but some stuff really sticks, especially if it really works and is unique to any other techniques I've seen. I do know people who take notes and if they can decypher their own scratch and terminology, then it is extremely valuble.

A good grappling seminar is a perfect experience for someone who has never had any or has had very limited training on the ground. That type of martial art in general is a whole different world and a good seminar on it is a great introduction.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned a lot from attending Mr. Tatum's seminar a while back. People leave one of those with so much info their head is spinning, and if even a 10th of the info sticks, you've still gotten way more than your money's worth.

Latest Discussions