Self Defense skills

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the primary Sd your Art teaches for strickly Sd purposes and how and when do you teach it.
Terry

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Terry,

This blends in with my answer to my other post about Self-Defence training but I will try to address the answer not from a "Self-Defence only" perspective but how we integrate the principles into on-going training.

First of all understand that we have three primary fields of study at our school: Boxing/Kick-Boxing, Escrima, and Grappling. We train these three arts in spearate clesses and encourage our students to train across art least two os them. If they wish to achieve a black belt they must train in all three.

In each class we spend some time on applying the knowledge to self-defence. We cover weapons topics primarily in Escrima, takedowns in Grappling and striking in Boxing/Kick-Boxing. We do however tend to cover specific "self-defence applications" in the Boxing/Kick-boxing class and integrate in basic takedowns and weapon issues and then students that participate in the other classes can exapnd the technique as they see fit. We typically train some application once a week for 10 to 15 minutes and encourage the student to apply what they have picked up from the other classes into that context.

So in terms of arts: Escrima dumog, Silat throws, Jui-Jitsu, BJJ, Trapping, Savate, Escrima Kicks, Muay Thai Elbows and Knees, Sambo, Lead Pipes, Nasty Looks, etc. *grin*

Rob

Rob

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Moo Sul Kwan a seperate ciriculum is designed which involves hapkido style techniques and philosophy. In other words, in self defense they are not taught the first ten wrist and clothes technique of the white to yellow belt ciriculum. It is more of a mixture of the punching and kicking aspect along with a little bit of the wrist and clothes types of techniques that are a little different.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Since we would be considered "Old School", in terms of our TKD instruction, the primary self defense applications would be from Hapkido. The major difference between Hapkido and Original TKD, in simplistic terms, would be the amount of specific technique applications. Example: wrist techniques - In Hapkido they play a major role in the foundation of the art - thus the many variations of defending against a wrist grab. In TKD, understanding the principle of application and then reducing the tangable number(s) of expected variations is our positioning. Most styles of Hapkido have kicks, that folks say are different then TKD kicks. With the exception of the roundhouse kick, most if not all the practical long range kicks are similar, if not the same. Hapkido also uses short range kicks, but so does original TKD. Folks say Hapkido is primarily circular, but it also uses linear movements, so does OTKD. One primary difference IMO would be that some Hapkidoin go directly to a trap/catch of the attacker limb, whereas we would always deflect/redirect and strike before attempting the trapping/joint control technique. Another big difference would be in the breakfall area. In Hapkido, breakfalls are a major part of their training. In OTKD, we have that training also, but not to the extent that Hapkido places on it. Because we seem to do more initial striking before technique implementation, then what most Hapkido folks state they do, our attacker/training partner is not in an advantagous position to perform a breakfall. To be perfectly honest, the defender may not even get into a position to affect a joint lock/takedown or a throw, unless within the confines of training, we learn to adapt more control over the strikes we choose to use.

The Hapkido tapes of Fariborz Azhakh, who if not mistaken, is of the Sin Moo Hapkido lineage, looks almost identical to what we/I practice.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

Let me say this to be very clear!

Hapkido teaches many BASIC CORE Techniques and Principles from wrist grabs, however HKD donesn't think we'll be attacked that way very often if at all. Think of wrist grabs mainly as a trainning method.

In reality we train for to Defend against grabs, holds, locks, throws, kicks, strikes from any position in an interactive way by using counters and attacks from all of the above circumstances with the principles of our Art.

People who dable in HKD to glean a FEW basic defense moves never fully realize what's HKD is all about.

I just wanted you guys to realize what's what, I hoped that helped?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
American HKD said:
Greetings,

Let me say this to be very clear!

Hapkido teaches many BASIC CORE Techniques and Principles from wrist grabs, however HKD donesn't think we'll be attacked that way very often if at all. Think of wrist grabs mainly as a trainning method.

In reality we train for to Defend against grabs, holds, locks, throws, kicks, strikes from any position in an interactive way by using counters and attacks from all of the above circumstances with the principles of our Art.

People who dable in HKD to glean a FEW basic defense moves never fully realize what's HKD is all about.

I just wanted you guys to realize what's what, I hoped that helped?

:partyon::partyon::partyon:

Thank you for so aptly stating a demystification to Hapkido and HKD-based art self-defense approaches.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Davejlaw said:
Hapkido was mystified?

Certain factions of discussion board personas bash hapkido, aikido and other arts they call "twisty-wristy" as being ineffectual as though wrist locks were the only self-defense techniques used or the sole focus.

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha. I would vehemently disagree with those factions. I think that the wrist grab defense has many entries which then make it effective in many forms of combat. They would usually be set up with a strike but if someone actually grabs a wrist, arm or piece of clothing then the technique will should work (like a charm if the attacker is unskilled) How some people bash an art on these forums is beyond me. Plus, almost all the eastern martial arts I'm aware of utilize these defenses in very similiar ways. They all capitalize on the limitations of the human anatomy.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Stuart here..Wrist Grabs are just a fraction of what we do. Usually taught at yellow belt they expose the beginner to the principles of technique in a non-threatening manner. However...if someone does end up grabbing on to your wrist..then so much the better.

Our class covers these areas to be defended against..

Wrist/Cross Wrist Grab
Lapel/Chest Grabs
Rear Grabs
Sleeve Grabs
Belt Grabs
Hair Pulls
Kicks
Strikes
Punches
Chokes
Joint Locks
Throwing
Knife
Short Stick
Staff
Sword

Usually the techniques are taught in cycles..along with added variables such as speed of attack,angles,secondary attacks,and later at the advance Gup levels..confined space,low light..etc. Sooo..if you're jumped in a dark,narrow alley by a sword-wielding maniac..you'll have a leg up.:)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stuart,

You are right my man. Here is the basic point to be made. It doesn't matter if it is a wrist or clothes grab. It is about the attackers body position in relation to yours. Son Mok Soo and Eui Bok Soo (Wrist and clothes techniques) are training points and aids to practice the technique. I once saw my father, a master in Moo Sul Kwan hapkido be attacked by multiple attackers. Not one of them grabbed him by the wrist, however he performed all 25 of the son mok soo techniques before the demo was over.

By the way, this is quite a good topic and point of discussion.

Shesula, you have got the right idea without hesitation. I think as you do that Aikido is also a potent art. it seems that the factions that beat up on Hapkido, Aikido, Judo have not practiced with someone who had been in a class for a while. After all, it is easy to bully a white belt. No matter the art, you cannot bully an upper ranking belt or dan.

Latest Discussions