Self Defense in a McDonald's in Arkansas

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find the title misleading: there was no attack so no need to defend yourself and therefore no self defense.

But a smart way to sneak out of a dangerous situation. Well done.

I respectfully disagree. Self defense starts with situational awareness and includes things like preclusion and de-escallation.

Fighting techniques without something like Coopers Color Codes and IMOP are incomplete self defense approaches in my opinion.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find the title misleading: there was no attack so no need to defend yourself and therefore no self defense.

I disagree also. Actual fighting is a last resort when discussing self-defense. If a person is waiting to be attacked before thinking defensively, then it's a clear indicator that they've only been trained in fighting, not self-defense.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree also. Actual fighting is a last resort when discussing self-defense. If a person is waiting to be attacked before thinking defensively, then it's a clear indicator that they've only been trained in fighting, not self-defense.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
what if the guy has just assaulted your girlfriend, or are you going to try being nice to him or just punch him in the mouth ?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what if the guy has just assaulted your girlfriend, or are you going to try being nice to him or just punch him in the mouth ?
Agree with you 100% there. It's easy to protect yourself (you can run away). It's not that easy to protect your love one (you can't run away).

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Higher level college coaches aren’t recruiting very much based on high school play; it’s more club and other stuff like that that they’re looking at. Simple reason - the level of competition is generally higher. Club teams are far more all-star vs all-star. In high school games there’s a lot more mismatches. You see the players play with and against better players on a regular basis. Of course there’s very high level high school teams, but the overall talent level is diluted compared to club teams. Most of the time anyway.
Great explanation to the changes we are seeing in recruiting practices as time moves on. Most of the recruiters prefer to go AAU tournaments for basketball as an example as they get to watch the best players play against the best players in a relatively short amount of time. The summer schedule allows them to see a number of kids playing high level ball in very few locations instead of having to travel all over the place to see a few kids that stack up against kids that are just there for fun. I'm not advocating that this is better mind you as there is a whole host of problems with the way amateur sports are being treated more and more like a pro circuit however it would be silly not to recognize that it isn't happening.

Finally, the kids that generally tend to do better for their high school teams also, for the most part, play club ball. Most of the time there is better instruction and there is definitely a higher degree of focused practice on certain skills.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Self defense starts with situational awareness and includes things like preclusion and de-escallation.

Fighting techniques without something like Coopers Color Codes and IMOP are incomplete self defense approaches in my opinion.

Coopers colour codes are dumb. But otherwise a practical method for avoiding fights is useful.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

But a smart way to sneak out of a dangerous situation. Well done.

Self-defense is engaged when violence is threatened. It became a self-defense situation when poopy-pants said he was about to kick my ***.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self defense starts within. If all you know how to do is fight, you’ll be in a lot of fights.

Don’t get caught mentally flat footed.

Leviathan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every kid who went to school knows when you're threatened by one or several guys who could easily beat you down you'd better go for a low profile: no provocation, not showing your concern/fear, just trying to be as neutral and 'slippery' as possible. No need to enter a dojo to know that.

In my opinion that is no self defense yet at this stage but we don't have to agree.

The trick with the car alarm was a good idea though.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Self defense starts within. If all you know how to do is fight, you’ll be in a lot of fights.

Don’t get caught mentally flat footed.
Reminds me of a quote (that's actually in my signature): A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it. In this case Bill chose pacifism, but was also preparing himself if **** hit the fan. A lot of people don't know how to do that part of it.

So while just learning how to fight will lead to fights, just learning situational awareness and self-control limits you in uncontrollable situations.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Reminds me of a quote (that's actually in my signature): A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it. In this case Bill chose pacifism, but was also preparing himself if **** hit the fan. A lot of people don't know how to do that part of it.

So while just learning how to fight will lead to fights, just learning situational awareness and self-control limits you in uncontrollable situations.
Not quite the same, but Similar to the quote by Ghandi in my signature.

Latest Discussions