Secretariat

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had the privilege to see Secretariat’s last race back on October 28, 1973, I was just seven years old but I still remember it vividly today.

When he was put down back in 1989, I was heart broken, it was like something from my childhood was gone forever.

Seen the movie Secretariat tonight, not the best movie ever made but a good one. Brought back some memories.

Big Reds last race….I’m in the crowd somewhere!

[yt]g0o19eUFfe0[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken, for sharing, yes this great racer brought back good memories for me also.
icon7.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never saw him race, but I remember even my parents, who were no fans of horse racing, be excited about how well he raced. I too was saddened when he was put down. He brought the sport outside the realm of the wealthy and the gamblers. :asian:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was never a horse racing fan but my uncle owns a couple horses he races so I've heard the name Secretariat. To me though it seems like your typical Disney movie where you know the outcome and you know they'll spend 2 hours going for the heart strings trying to depress the hell out of you.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He was an amazing great machine, genetic perfection. ( I am sooo sorry that Dynaformer son Barbaro tore himself apart. He remined me of Big Red) His sons and daughters dominante the sport still. I am lucky enough to have had some Princequillo/Bold Reason horses as well as Buckpasser/RoundTable kids too. Nothing beats the toughness and heart of the Old Bloodhorses. They can be hell through thier teenage years and a handfull to ride but I still love em. I kinda wish they could clone big red. It would be interesting to see what would happen.

Lori

Latest Discussions