Scots Wa Hae!

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seeking out fellow countrymen: you might be scottish if.....

1. Ye can properly pronounce McConnochie, Ecclefechan, Milngavie, Sauchiehall St , St Enoch, Auchtermuchty and Aufurfuksake.

2. Ye actually like deep fried battered pizza fae the chippie.

3. Yer used tae four seasons in wan day.

4. Ye canna pass a chip/kebab shop withoot slaverin when yer blootert.

5. Ye kin fall about p*shed withoot spilling yer drink.

6. Ye see people wearin shell suits with burberry accessories - pure class!

7. Ye measure distance in minutes.

8. Ye kin understaun Rab C Nesbitt and know characters just like him, in yer ain family.

9. Ye go tae Saltcoats cos ye think it is like gaun tae the ocean.

10. Ye kin make hael sentences jist wae sweer wurds.

11. Ye know whit haggis is made fae and stull like eating it.

12. Somedy ye know his used a fitba schedule tae plan thur wedding day date.

13. You've been at a wedding and fitba scores are announced in the Church/Chapel.

4. Ye urny surprised tae find curries, pizzas, kebabs, fish n chips, iron-bru, fags and nappies all in the wan shop.

15. Yer holiday home at the seaside has calor gas under it.

16. Ye know irn-bru is a hangover cure. :uhyeah:

17. Ye learnt tae sweer afore ye learnt tae dae sums.

18. Ye actually understand this and yurr gonnae send it tae yer pals .

19. Finally, you are 100% Scot if you have ever said/heard these words;

hooz it hingin

clatty

boggin

cludgie

pished

get it up ye

wee beasties

amurny

away an bile yer heid

peely-wally

humphey backit

Ba'-heid

baw bag

dubble nugget

PS - I've taken out the rude ones, apologies if by some chance I missed one!

PPS - May post translations if there are any requests :ultracool

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL, I guess I'm half scottish!

Plus I think peat is a good flavor!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent post, I LOVED it..As an ameture actor I love accents and read this post outloud..I knew what nappies and fags were about it...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being a Gordon, I did understand this and have to say that even though the family came over to the US way back (James Gordon came across back in the early-mid 1800's) we still can attest to 90% of the post. Kind of shocking how much is genetic. Clatty, guilty as charged. Cool post!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent post, I LOVED it..As an ameture actor I love accents and read this post outloud..I knew what nappies and fags were about it...

Yeah, my brother loves to raise a few eyebrows by exclaming he is going outside and smoking a fag or two when he is at a bar. :) :roflmao:

Should clarify, up here if you are smoking something, you are either lighting up a cig. or shooting something.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great post! A coworker brought in haggis sushi once... 'cuz normal haggis wasn't doing it for him, I guess. Took a lot of beer to kill the taste of that!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great post! A coworker brought in haggis sushi once... 'cuz normal haggis wasn't doing it for him, I guess. Took a lot of beer to kill the taste of that!

Corky,What are haggins??

OP
wee_blondie

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its lovely!!! Don't knock it till ya try it!

Best served with mashed neeps & tatties.....(thats turnips & potatoes to you). I didn't find out what it was made from till I was about 8; the ingredients don't really bother me - it tastes good, end of.

I love cooking from scratch, maybe I'll do haggis one day. My best mate's dad owns a sheep farm....now to get me a good un..........baaaa

%-}

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its lovely!!! Don't knock it till ya try it!

Best served with mashed neeps & tatties.....(thats turnips & potatoes to you). I didn't find out what it was made from till I was about 8; the ingredients don't really bother me - it tastes good, end of.

I love cooking from scratch, maybe I'll do haggis one day. My best mate's dad owns a sheep farm....now to get me a good un..........baaaa

%-}

Not knocking it..If you enjoy it ENJOY....It's not for me....

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh why not, I'd give haggis a try. I'm sure it isn't any more disgusting than what really goes into hot-dogs or bologna. I've seen both of those items being made and still eat them. So, haggis just might stir up the Scottish genes and I'd like it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure it isn't any more disgusting than what really goes into hot-dogs or bologna. I've seen both of those items being made and still eat them

The problem is I don't see what goes into hot-dogs, not that I would eat the garden variety brands..It's Hebrew-National or nothing...

bydand said:
So, haggis just might stir up the Scottish genes and I'd like it.

Dude and give my Mom a heartattack..I'm Italian...LOL

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is I don't see what goes into hot-dogs, not that I would eat the garden variety brands..It's Hebrew-National or nothing...

Better not to actually. :barf: Some are better than others though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah memories! I went to school and uni in Aberdeen. I loved stovies, Aberdeen rowies and tablet, well I still do! didn't like the wind roaring up Union Street though! I get up to Edinburgh and Glasgow sometimes for the MMA fights but haven't been back to Aberdeen for 20 odd years now.

OP
wee_blondie

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ah memories! I went to school and uni in Aberdeen. I loved stovies, Aberdeen rowies and tablet, well I still do! didn't like the wind roaring up Union Street though! I get up to Edinburgh and Glasgow sometimes for the MMA fights but haven't been back to Aberdeen for 20 odd years now.

Yup, nothing quite like the sea "breeze" bringing in the har... Combined with the silver/grey granite - no wonder we're such a dour bunch!!!!!

Latest Discussions