Schrade knives, how is the quality?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I've heard they are a good company. You might want to checkout Cold Steel as well. I've bought knives and swords from them and haven't been disappointed yet.

I think with Cold Steel it depends on the purpose and construction. Their steel is decent but I know two people who got the Cold Steel Kukri Machete for camp work/Bushcraft. After use chopping/batoning the handles came loose. The tang apparently doesn't consistently fit tightly in the handle, which is held on basically with just epoxy. They didn't fall off but they both started rattling.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me (as @AngryHobbit can attest), that's pretty much all situations. I love nice pens, and have found some nice-ish ones under $20, so I don't feel bad when they decide to run away from home. Same thing for pocket knives.
Besides, you have a bunch of miniature screwdrivers you can use for stabbing purposes.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think with Cold Steel it depends on the purpose and construction. Their steel is decent but I know two people who got the Cold Steel Kukri Machete for camp work/Bushcraft. After use chopping/batoning the handles came loose. The tang apparently doesn't consistently fit tightly in the handle, which is held on basically with just epoxy. They didn't fall off but they both started rattling.

Cold steel definitely does some products better than they do others. Folders, small to moderate size fixed blades and swords are what they do best. My ti-lite folder I've had for 7 years and my bastard sword for 5, haven't failed me yet. It's always good to research the individual product model before purchasing.

Latest Discussions