School Uniforms

Should Uniforms Be Required In All Schools?

• Yes: Uniforms should be required.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No: Uniforms should not be required.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Enforce A Strict Dress Code

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Let The Kids Wear Whatever They Want

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
and all the while i thought the idea was to keep kids IN school, not figure out all these ways to send them home!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
and all the while i thought the idea was to keep kids IN school, not figure out all these ways to send them home!

Well, you're right, it is. Of course, if the kids themselves were not so worried about who was/wasn't wearing the 'in thing' and spending more time focusing on their studies, that IMO would solve a good portion of the problem. :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I support a school's use of uniforms. I support a schools choice to push a dress code. I support a school's choice to let the kids do what they want. Every school has different needs and one rule isn't going to address them all. I've worked at schools where I've had gang bangers representing openly...a uniform or a dress code is needed here. I've also worked at a school where the kids were great and hardly misbehaved at all. What use are uniforms or dress codes in a place like that? Uniforms are just another tool that schools can use to help educate various groups of children. If the tool isn't needed, then using it isn't worth it.

atinsley

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My kids are in Catholic School and they wear uniforms, as do all of the students there. I find no problems what so ever with that policy. I actually spend less each year by buying uniforms for school then I did before they started.

I believe that by having the children wear uniforms, it allows the administrators, teachers and students to focus on what needs to be focused on, namely education.

By wearing a uniform, the kids all look the same so it removes a lot of the problems associated with clothing. Kids no longer argue, fight, etc., over who has the better shoes, jeans, etc. It also has the added benefit to staff and administrators of not having to try and determine what brand, color or markings are associated with what gang.

Face it, kids can be cruel; but if all the kids are wearing a uniform (or conform to a strict dress code), they can no longer make fun of, or put down, someone whose parents are unable to afford the brand name, costly clothing. Kids have enough to deal with now a days and being harassed or made fun of because of the clothing that they wear should not be one of them, especially in the classroom setting.

By having a uniform, it is also no longer subjective as to what constitutes "inappropriate" attire. The teachers no longer have to make a judgment call; it either is or isn't.

Regarding those that say kids would refuse to wear the uniform; they might, but if the school has a written policy that is given to every student/parent, then those that refuse are dealt with like any other rule breaker.

To those that say we need to allow kids to have their individuality and the freedom to express themselves, I'm all for it. But really, the classroom is not the place for it; they are there to learn not to have a fashion show.

I am not an educator, or a LEO, but my guess would be that some of the problems that they deal with regarding children can be tied back to them trying to express themselves, in a manner or location where it is not appropriate.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To those that say we need to allow kids to have their individuality and the freedom to express themselves, I'm all for it. But really, the classroom is not the place for it; they are there to learn not to have a fashion show.

I am not an educator, or a LEO, but my guess would be that some of the problems that they deal with regarding children can be tied back to them trying to express themselves, in a manner or location where it is not appropriate.

Talk about repressed. Gotta ask, if the classroom is not the place for it, then where is this special place where the kids can express themselves? church? dinner table? maybe some secret clubhouse up a tree...

Our schools have to educate, the 3 R's sure, but also develop the child's social skills and allow them the freedom to find themselves, come to grips with growing up, and yes, accepting individuality as well as sameness.

So how 'bout this... those that want uniforms can dress their kids in 'brown shirts' and shiny boots and send them to school, while the rest of us can continue to let our kids do as they please, wear 'tye-die', red bandanas, or hockey shorts.

And we'll see who ends up on the therapist's couch first~

peace - out.
pete.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pete, you're making it out to be a black and white issue of uniform= repression.

Let me ask you, do clothes define the person? Does their ability to dress in the latest styles or keep up with brand name fashions show them to be "individuals"?

I say let kids wear uniforms to school and "find themselves" by expressing themselves in ways other than clothing. School is a great place for that. Kids express themselves in writing assignments and art projects and music. Kids learn about themselves through developing a life of the mind when they explore the science, history, art and other things they are studying. How would a uniform stop this? If anything, uniforms take away extraneous, materialistic distractions from the classroom so that kids can learn these more important things first.

Time enough for them to learn how to be ostracized and labeled based on their clothing in the "real world" later.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, just another step towards a society of restriction and conformity.

First Uniforms, then hair length, then maybe some restrictions on reading materials... we don't want our kids reading Huck Finn or Catcher in the Rye do we now? How about some mandatory prayers, non-denominational of course, ...

See the point is these 'rules' that you propose become inflicted upon those of us who don't subscribe to your views. You want uniforms, so EVERYBODY wears uniforms, etc;

I maintain that the kids and there parents deserve the freedom to make those choices for themselves. So your kids can wear tighty-whities and my son can wear boxers. no harm no foul.

pete

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about repressed. Gotta ask, if the classroom is not the place for it, then where is this special place where the kids can express themselves? church? dinner table? maybe some secret clubhouse up a tree...

Our schools have to educate, the 3 R's sure, but also develop the child's social skills and allow them the freedom to find themselves, come to grips with growing up, and yes, accepting individuality as well as sameness.

So how 'bout this... those that want uniforms can dress their kids in 'brown shirts' and shiny boots and send them to school, while the rest of us can continue to let our kids do as they please, wear 'tye-die', red bandanas, or hockey shorts.

And we'll see who ends up on the therapist's couch first~

peace - out.
pete.

If people are against uniforms, thats fine. I do think that some sort of dress code should be in place and enforced. As for letting them wear what they want....what if their clothing is causing a distraction? So a girl who is wearing a shirt that is so short and so low cut, that the class is focusing their attn. on her instead of whats going on, I guess we won't have to worry about the therapists couch, instead we'll have a class full of people repeating the same grade.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, just another step towards a society of restriction and conformity.

First Uniforms, then hair length, then maybe some restrictions on reading materials... we don't want our kids reading Huck Finn or Catcher in the Rye do we now? How about some mandatory prayers, non-denominational of course, ...

See the point is these 'rules' that you propose become inflicted upon those of us who don't subscribe to your views. You want uniforms, so EVERYBODY wears uniforms, etc;

I maintain that the kids and there parents deserve the freedom to make those choices for themselves. So your kids can wear tighty-whities and my son can wear boxers. no harm no foul.

pete

Hmm...so people should just be able to do what they want, when they want, without having to worry about any rules? Sorry, Pete, but I think you're wishing for a fantasy rather than whats reality.

Let me ask you this...you teach Martial Arts classes right? Do you require uniforms? If so, I'd imagine that everyone is required to wear that uniform right? So if the uniform of the day is a gi, either white or black and their belt, and someone shows up in a tank and shorts, are you going to just shrug your shoulders and not say anything?

Personally, I'm not crazy about uniforms for school, unless its a private school, and that rule just may be in place.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Let me ask you this...you teach Martial Arts classes right?
yes
MJS said:
Do you require uniforms?
well, yes & no... let me explain. I teach adults with no uniforms whatsoever, no dress code other than remove watches, jewelery, etc for safety reasons only. i ask guys and gals with longer hair to tie it back also for safety reasons. never have i asked anyone to change, or cut their hair, or cover up tats, or any thing else.

we also teach kids, and when we started i didn't want uniforms for them either, but my wife/teaching partner reasoned that the 'gi and belt' is expected in that style and 'kids like them'. so basically i relented. but...

MJS said:
If so, I'd imagine that everyone is required to wear that uniform right? So if the uniform of the day is a gi, either white or black and their belt, and someone shows up in a tank and shorts, are you going to just shrug your shoulders and not say anything?

so that has happened many times, kids come directly from school or the playground. maybe grandpa was watching them and didn't know, or maybe the gi just wasn't out of the dryer yet. Whadya think i'd do...

thats right, absolutely nothing! kid in shorts takes the same class as kid in gi. why not~

pete.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes

well, yes & no... let me explain. I teach adults with no uniforms whatsoever, no dress code other than remove watches, jewelery, etc for safety reasons only. i ask guys and gals with longer hair to tie it back also for safety reasons. never have i asked anyone to change, or cut their hair, or cover up tats, or any thing else.

we also teach kids, and when we started i didn't want uniforms for them either, but my wife/teaching partner reasoned that the 'gi and belt' is expected in that style and 'kids like them'. so basically i relented. but...

so that has happened many times, kids come directly from school or the playground. maybe grandpa was watching them and didn't know, or maybe the gi just wasn't out of the dryer yet. Whadya think i'd do...

thats right, absolutely nothing! kid in shorts takes the same class as kid in gi. why not~

pete.

The difference lies in the fact that you don't have a policy. My Arnis class for example...the inst. lets people wear pretty much whatever, ie: shorts when its hot, sweats, gi pants, and a t-shirt, preferably one that is plain white or black. Kenpo however, we have to wear a gi and a belt.

Have people forgot their belt, their top, etc? Sure. Have they been allowed to train? Sure. But, we explain that they need to be responsible and ensure that this stuff is brought with them to class. If they showed up every class without something, well, thats a problem.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Saw this today.

The board of education will hold its third and final forum tonight on whether the students should wear uniforms or face a more strict dress code.

The forum, for students at East Hartford High School and their parents, will be held at 5:30 p.m. at the Connecticut International Baccalaureate Academy, 857 Forbes St. Board members say they have not decided whether to require school uniforms in the public schools but want to hear from the public. During two other forums this month, some parents have favored uniforms while others have said requiring them limits students' ability to express themselves.

The board adopted a stricter dress code in 2007, but reversed itself after parents and students objected. That code would have required students to wear navy, khaki, tan or black pants and black, white, navy, blue or yellow shirts. Instead, the board asked administrators to enforce the existing code, which emphasizes what is not allowed, including tank tops, miniskirts and pants that reveal any part of the torso or underwear.

Like I said, I'm more for just enforcing the dress code that already exists, and personally, I don't think the bold part is too much to ask. God forbid someone should infringe on the school kids 'rights'. :rolleyes: After all, shouldn't the focus of school be on learning and not who is wearing what?