School Shooting at Red Lake MN

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7259823/&GT1=6305

This is a horrible tragedy. I used to live near the Red Lake reservation and I have been there many times. My friends are grieving and are scared and the chief has called it "the darkest day in the history of his tribe."

I wanted to start a thread to express condolences and to talk about school shootings, reservation life, and some other associated issues.

I'm not sure I can find any good things about this situation right now, the only dim spot I can think of is that I hope the news media brings there cameras up there. I hope that Americans can get a good look at Reservation Life and attempt to understand this tragedy through that lense.

Sincerely

John Kedrowski

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sincerest heartfelt condolences go out to the families and friends touched by this horrible tragedy. May we all be reminded how precious life is.

. :asian:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7259823/&GT1=6305

This is a horrible tragedy. I used to live near the Red Lake reservation and I have been there many times. My friends are grieving and are scared and the chief has called it "the darkest day in the history of his tribe."

I wanted to start a thread to express condolences and to talk about school shootings, reservation life, and some other associated issues.

I'm not sure I can find any good things about this situation right now, the only dim spot I can think of is that I hope the news media brings there cameras up there. I hope that Americans can get a good look at Reservation Life and attempt to understand this tragedy through that lense.

Sincerely

John Kedrowski
I think one possible 'up' side to this is that the school had some kind of procedure that was in place and, to at least some degree, was implimented in this incident. Our school resource officer (NYS Trooper) was preparing a safety presentation on this very topic so he mentioned the procedural element and will be using this current event as an example.

It could have been much worse if there had been no plan.

It is a sad thing.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no words to express how this sort of event makes me feel. Nalia does a better job.

. :asian:

But, another kid who wore a lot of black and owned a trench coat?

:waah:

I own a heavy black leather motorcycle duster. I love it. It's the warmest coat in the winter, and the thing is literally a suit of armor. I also hardly ever wear it now except around people who know me well. It's just not worth it, for the impression it tends to make on people.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard about this on the radio on my way to work this morning. Terrible.

My condolences to all affected.

edit: Hmmm, it appears that Red Lake is only about 15 miles from Bemidji. A good friend of mine went to college at Bemidji State, and then taught there for a while after grad school. I wonder if she knew anyone from Red Lake? And I will agree with one thing siad, the details are chilling.

A

AnimEdge

I know he shot a Security Guard but what i would like to know is if he was armed, and wheres the rest of the guards? Guess this shows that School security systems metal detectors and stuff doesnt really work all to well

Latest Discussions