Same technique, Different ryu.

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey all. New to the forum, but been in the art for a "little" while. Was wondering if anyone could help me with a question that i had. Been in the "Buj" for awhile, and being nidan right now, im starting to ask questions that i feel i should have askes a long time ago. What makes teqniques different from ryu to ryu? Or even stances? For example, Oni Kudaki from both Tekagi Yoshin Ryu and Gyyoko ryu? Or Musha Dori from Togakure Ryu and Koto Ryu? Aside from training, how can i study up on this to where i can know what techique (1.)comes from what school (a) or (b)?

Any hlp would be appreciated.

B-

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What makes teqniques different from ryu to ryu?

Everything and nothing. :ultracool

Or even stances?

For one thing, in Gyokko ryu, the lead hand is pointing somewhat at the opponent's shoulder (i.e. right hand front - towards opponent's right shoulder).

For example, Oni Kudaki from both Tekagi Yoshin Ryu and Gyyoko ryu?

Of course you could do oni kudaki with a Gyokko ryu "flavor", but technically oni kudaki comes from Takagi Yoshin ryu.

Aside from training, how can i study up on this to where i can know what techique (1.)comes from what school (a) or (b)?

Go to a seminar with someone good, attend the ensuing dinner and milk him/her for information.