ryu emphasis? exposure to how many schools?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was chatting with our instructor the other day. He mentioned that he teaches mostly from the Togakure, Koto and Gyokko ryus. Most of what I've seen so far (not been too long yet, 6 months more or less) has been from Koto and Gyokko.

I was curious.. does your school tend to emphasize certain ryu, or do you get good exposure to every ryu? I'm sure in Japan they have exposure to all, but if you do train in Japan, do you gravitate to certain shihan teaching particular ryu?

If you -had- to choose just three ryu to study, which would you chose and why?

Thanks!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I'm sure in Japan they have exposure to all, but if you do train in Japan, do you gravitate to certain shihan teaching particular ryu?

I am not aware of a Japanese shihan teaching a particular ryuha all the time. Most seem to teach what Hatsumi is teaching, or basics and general stuff. Some teach various bits from time to time. But I am not aware of many who would be teaching Gyokko ryu now. Unless it was a special request for a student living in Japan.

In short, I don't think you can gravitate toward a particular shihan teaching some school you wanted to learn.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I am not aware of a Japanese shihan teaching a particular ryuha all the time. Most seem to teach what Hatsumi is teaching, or basics and general stuff. Some teach various bits from time to time. But I am not aware of many who would be teaching Gyokko ryu now. Unless it was a special request for a student living in Japan.

In short, I don't think you can gravitate toward a particular shihan teaching some school you wanted to learn.

thanks Don! would have a question then... I've heard of students who occassionally visit and seek out particular shihan. How would that selection process occur? Personally like them? They emphasize certain things? posted schedules of what they would be teaching? My instructor is hoping to go in a few years and already knows who he wants to study under, so can you guess how that decision might be made so far ahead of time? reputation I suppose? Is there a list of shihan there and what they are covering?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The short answer to your question is reputation.

Someone hears something about a Japanese shihan they like and makes an effort to train with them. Some like teachers that teach a certain way. Some people like folks that seem to be skilled.

Some teachers seem to train more on the spirit of things and mainly shun the fine points of the ryuha. Some can teach the nuts and bolts of a technique very well. Which is better? I guess I would say go with those that you have the greatest lack in.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don,

What do you think of the idea of learning what you have the most interest in? Do you think a person will learn better/more if they focus on what they have interest in learning, or do you think that they will become better by focusing on what they suck at, even if they have little interest in it?

by the by, I THINK most of what I have been exposed to has come from Koto and Gyokko ryu, but I'm less interested in whats from where and the whys and wherefores as I am in the skills themsleves, but this is an interesting line of discussion.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
What do you think of the idea of learning what you have the most interest in?
I am not Don, but my name does begin with a 'D'... :rofl:

Your question raises a question for me. Would that which you ask, be the same as having a "favorite" weapon?

My opinion would be to view all the training with equal interest. That could be another lesson in and of itself, withstanding that which you considering uninteresting...?

Just my thoughts....

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I am not Don, but my name does begin with a 'D'... :rofl:

Your question raises a question for me. Would that which you ask, be the same as having a "favorite" weapon?

My opinion would be to view all the training with equal interest. That could be another lesson in and of itself, withstanding that which you considering uninteresting...?

Just my thoughts....

I guess it could be. I admit to seeing some things that I find far more interesting than other things. For example I understand that things like the traditional seated stuff in fudoza or sieza is important and teaches valuable lessons about using your hips etc... but by the same token, I dont spend a lot of time doing it because its just not that interesting to me, and I dont find myself seated on the floor much.

But Let me give another example... closer to my question.

Some people are really "into" the historical aspects of the training. Spending time reasearching the historys, the ryu, the lineages...

Some people don't care as much about "what school is muto dori from" as much as "how do I do muto dori?"

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I guess it could be. I admit to seeing some things that I find far more interesting than other things. For example I understand that things like the traditional seated stuff in fudoza or sieza is important and teaches valuable lessons about using your hips etc... but by the same token, I dont spend a lot of time doing it because its just not that interesting to me, and I dont find myself seated on the floor much.

How about seated in a chair, passed out with your face on a box of miller lite......how much time do you spend in that position? :p

Seriously, IMO, if you are into it for fun or just historical reasons then it makes sense to just study what you like or are good at but to get really good you need to work on what is hard or maybe borring to you. A, you may need those skills at some point and B, it will open up a whole new realm of possibilities you may have been unaware of....and maybe even like :)

Diggin the avitar,
Markk Bush

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Don,

What do you think of the idea of learning what you have the most interest in? Do you think a person will learn better/more if they focus on what they have interest in learning, or do you think that they will become better by focusing on what they suck at, even if they have little interest in it?

I think they should go with the area they suck at. I advise people to go to a variety of shihan and then return to the one they find the most confusing. It kind of shows that you have a weak area, and you should try to fill in those weak areas instead of just concentrating on things you already have down.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
How about seated in a chair, passed out with your face on a box of miller lite......how much time do you spend in that position? :p

Since that only seems to happen in Vegas, all I can say is NOT OFTEN ENOUGH.

Tengu6 said:
Seriously, IMO, if you are into it for fun or just historical reasons then it makes sense to just study what you like or are good at but to get really good you need to work on what is hard or maybe borring to you. A, you may need those skills at some point and B, it will open up a whole new realm of possibilities you may have been unaware of....and maybe even like

This makes sense. So does Don's comment above.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

But Let me give another example... closer to my question.

Some people are really "into" the historical aspects of the training. Spending time reasearching the historys, the ryu, the lineages...

Some people don't care as much about "what school is muto dori from" as much as "how do I do muto dori?"

I understand what you are saying. It is a good question.

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I think they should go with the area they suck at. I advise people to go to a variety of shihan and then return to the one they find the most confusing. It kind of shows that you have a weak area, and you should try to fill in those weak areas instead of just concentrating on things you already have down.

Weaken your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses!
I have seen a lot of puzzled looks about these few words but they have always made prefect sense to me.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Koinu said:
Weaken your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses!
I have seen a lot of puzzled looks about these few words but they have always made prefect sense to me.

I think the first part is a bit strange myself. I think you should find the holes in your taijutsu and try to fill them. But the way you phrase is, it sounds like you want to weaken parts of you. That is maybe why people look at you strange.

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I think the first part is a bit strange myself. I think you should find the holes in your taijutsu and try to fill them. But the way you phrase is, it sounds like you want to weaken parts of you. That is maybe why people look at you strange.

They are not my words but those of Soke.
To weaken your strength does sound strange at first glance but to place it in it's correct context it is very sound advice. A few ways to look at it is to weaken your strength meaning don't rely on them (only) , to Weaken them as in don't over train them at the expense of your weaknesses, or to have your strengths appear weak and your weaknesses to appear strong in the hope that you will be attacked in error to your strong points. While I am sure these are only a few of the basic ways to look at this statement , as I said it has always made perfect sense to me.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
If you -had- to choose just three ryu to study, which would you chose and why?

Thanks!

My teacher used to study with a Genbukan guy, and when I asked him this question, he said "certainly I just need Takagi Yoshin-ryu and Shindenfudo-ryu Ju-Taijutsu. I am a Jujutsu stylist and those two Ryuha are the closest to my Jujutsu background".

I personally think that the Shindenfudo-ryu is "how to defeat Judo people" because it has so many defenses against judo-style grabs.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anti Judo deluxe? Oh yes, very much yes!! I tried some techniques with my (unsuspecting) judo friends. He is one of those Judo guys who loves to emphasize that "the outdated and outmoded traditional Jujutsu lacked sparring, therefore the techniques are not effective and will not work against a real Judoka" ;)

To make a long story short, we agreed to spar a little. He grabbed me in Kumikata, I block his hip with my hands to stall his throw attempt, then applied Onikudaki. He screamed and went down. He got up and said "whats THAT?" :)

Even more fun is when we get hold in Kumikata again, and this time he tried a push-pull combination (to catch me with foot hooks), so I cheerfully applied a Hon Gyaku to the hand grabbing my collar. Again he screamed and went down and yell "what's THAT!? Hey, wristlocks are not legal in Judo!".

On which I replied "but you said you want to try out my ancient, outdated, outmoded, unreliable Jujutsu techniques :) "

Off course, this guy is just a blue belt in Judo, so I am sure my techniques won't work as easily against his teachers :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was watching Soke's Shinden Fudo Ryu video tape today and I must
say that it is an excellent one to get the feel of this years theme. I definately like all of the defenses against judo style throws. I am looking
forward to being in Japan soon.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I was watching Soke's Shinden Fudo Ryu video tape today and I must
say that it is an excellent one to get the feel of this years theme. I definately like all of the defenses against judo style throws. I am looking
forward to being in Japan soon.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Speaking of SFR. I once watch a Judo championship match, and I remember a guy get waza-ari throwing his opponent using something that looks like the technique called "Ugari" (the one in SFR Dakentaijutsu Shizen Jigoku no Maki). Judo people call that technique "Yoko Wakare as a counter against Osoto Gari".

Latest Discussions