Sambo or Judo first if you plan on training in both arts?

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you don’t have a background in either judo or sambo but you want to take a journey in both arts which one would you start with first to develop solid fundamentals before cross training in the other? Especially if you plan on competing in both as well. Thanks!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why bother cross trainng from sambo to judo or vice versa? They're both really similar to start off.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn’t cross training in Judo make your sambo better if you’re more focused on Sambo competition?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t cross training in Judo make your sambo better if you’re more focused on Sambo competition?
If I've got the same amount of time to train in both (ie: either way I'll spend five hours a week training), I would guess spending that time training the art for the competition would make it better. If I'm focused on Sambo competition, I'd spend all five hours on Sambo.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you had access to both which would you choose?
I have had access to both, and trained in both briefly at different times. I already stated the last few times you posted which I would choose though, if you want answers it might help to go back through your own threads. Or rely on how you feel about the class, not the opinion of a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
5 years Sambo + 5 years Judo < 10 years Judo
5 years Sambo + 5 years Judo < 10 years Sambo

To finish high school twice < to finish university.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
5 years Sambo + 5 years Judo < 10 years Judo
5 years Sambo + 5 years Judo < 10 years Sambo

To finish high school twice < to finish university.
That’s a good way to put it. I have started Sambo already I just finished my first week. It’s been a lot of fun although I have never done judo before I noticed my judo sucks. Since Sambo is rare to find in the United States I’m gonna stick with and focus on sambo. Then cross train in judo when I have the time and or if I end up moving in the future and can’t find sambo I’ll switch to judo. I plan on competing in Sambo in the future and or Judo competition as well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd take Bjj honestly. A good Bjj school will teach you the best of both worlds, and the stuff that Judo and Sambo generally don't allow (wrestling takedowns in Judo, and Chokes in Sambo).

Latest Discussions