Sad but true

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend emailed me this today, at first sight it just seems one of those glib 'poster' type things but on rereading it I found it to be sadly true.

Obituary of the late Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.
No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 -year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Calpol, sun lotion or a band-aid to a student but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on.

If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that a rousing chorous of "Hear, hear!" I perceive arising from those of us sitting in our third or fourth decades of life D:?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Minor rant here because I used to complain about this so much before I heard the full story.

The woman that sued McDonalds did not spill coffee in her lap. She got tepid coffee and asked for it to be heated. Since the microwaves in fast food places are set to certain tasks (i.e. defrost frozen chicken patty instead of 4 minutes at high) the guy on duty did the best he can while hurrying. The coffee was heated so hot that it melted the bottom of the cup and the molten plastic clung to her leg. And that is why she got third degree burns when you normally can't get worse than first from hot water.

As for the rest of the post, especially about how teachers can't do anything to keep some of the little monsters in line, I am all for it. The school system here in Japan probably is looking at total collapse in about a decades time, with many schools already there, and the idiots at Kasumigaseki decided to pass a big education bill- to require patriotism to be taught in class! :banghead:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for the rest of the post, especially about how teachers can't do anything to keep some of the little monsters in line, I am all for it. The school system here in Japan probably is looking at total collapse in about a decades time, with many schools already there, and the idiots at Kasumigaseki decided to pass a big education bill- to require patriotism to be taught in class! :banghead:

I though I read that at one time Japan's school system was so EXCELLENT..

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I though I read that at one time Japan's school system was so EXCELLENT..

At one point, it was. But a whole lot of talk about concern for the kids emasculated the teachers and now the descent into anarchy is gaining speed.

There have been a lot of cases where kids have commited suicide because they were bullied by other kids so bad. The powers that be and the media cried out about some cases of teachers abusing kids and instead of dealing with the bad apples, they just took away anything the teachers could do to keep the kids in line. Then the kids started turning on themselves in earnest. As they come to realize more and more that the teachers can't stop them, the kids are doing what teenagers will do at that age. And the bullies are now controlling the students in many schools because the teachers can't do anything to them. And now the parents are asking why.

Latest Discussions