Running....is it important?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In running, it's like one foot after the other and again and again. You never have a break,
The differnce between punching on heavy bag and running is when you

- punch on heavy bag, you can only see the heavy bag.
- run, you can see the whole world.

Old saying said, "To walk 10,000 miles is like to read 10,000 books".

The 10 miles loop Austin town lake trail is where I trained my Marathron. There are so much postive energy there (such as young, healthy, fit, pretty girls). :)

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The differnce between punching on heavy bag and running is when you

- punch on heavy bag, you can only see the heavy bag.
- run, you can see the whole world.

Old saying said, "To walk 10,000 miles is like to read 10,000 books".

The 10 miles loop Austin town lake trail is where I trained my Marathron. There are so much postive energy there (such as young, healthy, fit, pretty girls). :)

I don't enjoy the scenery, so it doesn't matter to me.

You live in Kalif or Austin Tx? I like Austin area like Round Rock and Cedar Park. If it's not because of family, I would move there in a heart beat.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Running isn't necessary, but a great addition, and has great health benefits. Long slow distance or steady state cardio helps improve recovery (a robust aerobic energy system helps you recover more quickly from both intense bouts of exercise as well as between training sessions), good for heart health and autonomic nervous system health. Not to mention the endurance/stamina benefits. Apparently you don't necessarily get all those full benefits with the short, sharp, intense sessions (like Tabata protocols), but both have their place and benefits.

I haven't been running in many years due to a pelvic condition but I actually want to see if I can get back into it. I actually miss it... something magical about getting in that zone on a long run... Be good to improve my cardio and endurance a bit coming up to a grading and tournament in 2 months. Also want to introduce something new to the body, and hopefully help any areas/injuries strengthen by introducing variability.

Found this progressive beginner's program I may try... looks really great as it is far more practical with the appropriate ease which it progresses (far too many just jump into running and wonder why they get injured... load management is crucial!). It recommends 3 times a week but I'll go with 1 at this stage and progress a bit slower. It works up to a full 60 minute run (don't know about that leap from week 12 to 13 though haha), but I'd be happy with reaching 30 minutes.

20220825_204728.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed running, but as I get older and life has more obligations and complications, it gets harder to have the time and energy to do everything. So I find myself needing to make choices, and I choose to focus on my martial training.

On occasion I have worked some running back into my training in recent years, but I have a feeling that becomes more unlikely as each year passes.

I have used my Nike-jitsu on a couple of occasions, and it served me well to extract from a situation that was rapidly turning bad. So yeah, on balance running is a good thing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you

- don't use it, you may lose it.
- over use it, you may also lose it.

Sometime that balance point is hard to find. I have tried to replace my running with walking + kick/punch. But my lung/heart don't get that satisfaction feeling (fast breathing, fast heart beating).

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Master Don Miller taught us to run or walk but jogging mostly bashes your organs around. He never had us run. I think maybe standing horse and sets make up for that?
He did advocate run fu as the best option always if possible.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't run, only because I'm overweight by 30 pounds so I know what's going to happen to my knees. Instead of running I do scurry steps. scurry steps are probably just as fast as speed walking but without the extra working of the hips. Quick short steps for a distance of 15 or 20 feet.

The goal isn't to run away but to keep distance, large enough to get something in between me an my attacker. When I taught self-defense the scenario happened in a back parking lot and the victim was being attacked either when they came out of the building or when they got to their car. I taught them how to approach their car at an angle to make sure no one was hiding on the other side. I even had them learn to not walk close to bushes at night if possible. There was one lady that couldn't do it. She only had one thing to do. get something in between her and the attacker. For some reason she kept trying to run back inside which was stupid because the door automatically locked when closed. So she always kept ending up in the corner getting attacked.

For some reason she just didn't think being on the other side of a bush was going to save her. I discourage running back inside the building because of the risk of the attacker getting into the building with you or in the lady's case the door being locked and now the person will be pinned in a corner.

I demonstrated with a tall guy who was faster than me, I was able to get away without injury by using short sprints and keeping my distance by always making sure that there was something in between me and my attacker. The best thing about scurry steps is that it fits win the Jow Ga foot work

I will start running again once lose the extra weight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still remember when I was young, I once outran a samurai biker
chasing in Taiwan. That was some excited life experience.

View attachment 28829
I used to run all the time competitively. Then I got heavy lol. The only biker I'm out running these days is this one riding this one and that's only if he's riding up a hill lol.
1662006791982.png

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How important is putting on tennis shoes and hitting the pavement to your training? Old fashion running to improve your cardio, for the purpose of competing or maintaining a state of physical readiness to apply martial arts skills?
Running is important if you need to run. I did all my running in the Marine Corps. Now diabetes and neuropathy have made it difficult to walk, let alone run; so I won't be doing it any more.

There are less impactful ways to obtain similar benefits, including elliptical cycles, bicycling (and stationary bikes), and swimming.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just went for my first run in about 5.5 years! Well, I say run, it's the first week of the program I listed above, so 1min run, 4min walk, repeat 6 times. Went really well! Haven't been able to run due to my pelvic condition for those years, so this is a big deal. Also forgot how much I enjoyed running, so fun :)

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Am I being chased or chasing something? I hate running more than anything else in the world so unless I have the proper motivation it aint happening. If Im being chased; well here I am sucka, come get me. If Im chasing something; Im gonna catch you, I am the wind!

People who run for no other reason than "fun" scare me.

In all seriousness some type of full body cardio such as running should be considered compulsory.

Latest Discussions