Rules to Converse By ...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Which one's your favorite? I like the false dichotomy. I consider that to be an essential parenting tool. :D

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: For me the one that drives me up the wall the most (and is why I am mostly out of the Study at present because it happens far too frequently) is the Straw Man Fallacy. Nearly every time (small exaggeration perhaps :D) that I post something in the Study that is meant to inspire thought, or is the result of lengthy cogitation on my part, someone picks one phrase out of one sentence and flies off at a negative tangent with it.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which one's your favorite? I like the false dichotomy. I consider that to be an essential parenting tool. :D

Every agrees that it's lame of you to claim that as the most important commandment ever devised.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm a fan of the fallacy of positive instances--cherry-picking cases where I'm in the right to emphasize to my kids and overlooking the cases where I'm, er, not demonstrably accurate.

In The Study, though, my favorite would have to be this one:

Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says, "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
:chuckles: For me the one that drives me up the wall the most (and is why I am mostly out of the Study at present because it happens far too frequently) is the Straw Man Fallacy. Nearly every time (small exaggeration perhaps :D) that I post something in the Study that is meant to inspire thought, or is the result of lengthy cogitation on my part, someone picks one phrase out of one sentence and flies off at a negative tangent with it.
So, what you're saying is that lengthy cogitation is the only way to inspire thought? I vehemently disagree!

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well that's just mean spirited nay-saying based on a sense of inferiority; probably because you're not English and are jealous!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When I think of English, I think of this (Warning: NSFW for some profanity):

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFL and ROFL and ROFL some more!

Couple of pretty girls there mind you :).

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given that your previous post proves that you seek only to score cheap political points with racial stereotyping, I suggest you watch this documentary piece to better understand other cultures:

[video=youtube_share;Khrpy4V0-U4]http://youtu.be/Khrpy4V0-U4[/video]

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given that your previous post proves that you seek only to score cheap political points with racial stereotyping

...which isn't exactly banned by any of those commandments, right? I mean, character and Britishness are separate issues. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I reckon copies of this should be nailed to the doors of the Study and it's even worse sub-fora:

View attachment 18214

Yeah like I’m gonna believe a guy who wields a sword, I mean you start telling us we are not rational…really. But I suppose I should expect this…Just like ALL sword wheeling guys form Britain and I know that is a fact. And I am beginning to think this is directed at me based on a discussion new had that was a bit heated a while back….isn’t it. It is that or you are jealous that I do CMA and you don’t. But then you wouldn’t really know would you….you most certainly would not understand. You know I do feel that since you posted this you should provide verifiable proof of this based on scientific studies and provide proper references to all things you use as proof. But I am sure that will not happen because I expect next you will utterly ignore my questions. Besides…everyone knows that none of what you posted is true so….:uhyeah:

:D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Really? I don't think it's really EVERY time now, do you? Don't you think that you're exaggerating just a wee bit there?

;) :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Suk, I have to say, I'd love to come to England and just hang out with you for awhile. Is there anything around you my Frau would enjoy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Suk, I have to say, I'd love to come to England and just hang out with you for awhile. Is there anything around you my Frau would enjoy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Martial talk meet and greet. I call the couch

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And it was a GREAT time! :D

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that #8 was not racial profiling. All the men had funny shaped heads. And everyone knows that cogitation causes headaches (migraines). Do I need to bring my own pillow to the party?

Latest Discussions