arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sigfried and Roy always knew the risk with working with these magnificent animals. They'll probably come out with a press release talking about it and how much they loved what they were doing dispite the risks.
"The last place Roy would place blame would be with the animal," said Bernie Yuman, manager for "Siegfried and Roy." /QUOTE]

What saddens me is the thought of what could happen to Montecore, the tiger involved in the attack. If Roy dies then the animal may be put to sleep. And to me that's not right.

A dog attacking and killing someone (i.e. a few months ago in LA) should be put to sleep...because it's a domesticated animal.
Tigers, lions, and bears (ya ya "oh my!") are still wild animals that have been "tamed" trained to do this and that.. but the element of wildness still remains... it has NOT been BRED out. Thus it is not the tiger's fault for following instinct instead of fighting against it.

my two cents

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by MACaver
Sigfried and Roy always knew the risk with working with these magnificent animals. They'll probably come out with a press release talking about it and how much they loved what they were doing dispite the risks.
"The last place Roy would place blame would be with the animal," said Bernie Yuman, manager for "Siegfried and Roy." /QUOTE]

What saddens me is the thought of what could happen to Montecore, the tiger involved in the attack. If Roy dies then the animal may be put to sleep. And to me that's not right.

A dog attacking and killing someone (i.e. a few months ago in LA) should be put to sleep...because it's a domesticated animal.
Tigers, lions, and bears (ya ya "oh my!") are still wild animals that have been "tamed" trained to do this and that.. but the element of wildness still remains... it has NOT been BRED out. Thus it is not the tiger's fault for following instinct instead of fighting against it.

my two cents

Even if Roy dies, nothing will happen to the animal, count on it.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully if something must be done they'll put the animal in a zoo or something. Putting it to sleep doesn't seem right to me.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The News tonight stated that Roy will recover and be fine.

NOw what is fine, you will have to go visit the womens self defense forum ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This from the article : Horn told the tiger to lie down. When it refused, Horn tapped the cat on the nose with a microphone to get its attention. The animal grabbed at Horn's arm, causing the entertainer to stumble.

You know, I was thinking that if someone smacked my nose with a microphone I'd probably grab him as well.
Sad that a lot of folks will be out of work.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MACaver
You know, I was thinking that if someone smacked my nose with a microphone I'd probably grab him as well.
Sad that a lot of folks will be out of work.

I'd imagine that working with big cats is like working with dogs, its a mixture of love and dicipline. You have to show them you care and will provide for them, but you have to also let them know that you are always the "alpha of the pack". I know cats are not pack animals, but the idea of dominance is still there.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd imagine that working with big cats is like working with dogs, its a mixture of love and dicipline. You have to show them you care and will provide for them, but you have to also let them know that you are always the "alpha of the pack". I know cats are not pack animals, but the idea of dominance is still there
Yep, right up until the cat says "O.K. my turn to play leader for a while."

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
Yep, right up until the cat says "O.K. my turn to play leader for a while."

That's when you throw a steak one way and run the other.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to wonder than in a crowd of a couple hundred, there had to be two or three people who thought it was part of the show. I can see them sitting there, clapping lightly, commenting to their neighbor on how realistic it was.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had no idea how profitable the show was:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Entertainment&cat=Siegfried_and_Roy

With the "Siegfried and Roy" show closed indefinitely, company executives will try to find a profitable replacement fast, but it won't be easy. The duo put on what was arguably the most successful show in Las Vegas history, said John Mulkey, a Bear Stearns gambling analyst.

They're wondering how Wall Street will react--this was a big draw ("tens of millions of dollars").

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that the show has been in business for quite a number of years and still (not to my knowledge anyway) there is no barrier between the big cats and the audience. Seems like the tigers could just as easily attack someone in the crowd.

Just heard that now it is thought that the tiger was trying to protect Roy.........after Roy fell, they think the tiger might have thought he was hurt and dragged him away to protect him........as they would their own cub (who has extra skin around the neck to protect it- unlike Roy)..........interesting.

:asian: :karate:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a minnit. Initial reports said that Roy bopped the tigger on the nose first THEN said kitty grabbed his arm causing him to fall and the cat jumped down and grabbed his neck and dragged his butt off the stage.
Oh the cats are our friends and are trying to help us.
Anyone, I mean anyone who's ever OWNED a cat knows the fierce independent nature of the animals and know that they'll just sit and watch us fall on our faces and proably be laughing their heads off on the inside.
I had a cat that was on my kitchen counter once and he knocked off (on purpose) a glass, the counter had a bit of a overhang and as I was cleaning the broken glass pieces up I stood and bonked my head on the edge of the counter. After many swear words I got back up and looked at the cat who simply looked back at me, head cocked to one side as if to say "are you really that freaking stupid?" :rofl:
Did he try to help me by going.. "woah, watch your head there ole' buddy!" ... yeah right.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger my Friend

I am not sure what happened as I was not there.

Here is a report

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
wow.....

Attachments

• $sigfried and roy tiger.jpg
    $sigfried and roy tiger.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 182

Latest Discussions