Roman Period Anno Domini

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have enough military battles here I can watch live lol, especially now I don't have to break them up anymore :rofl: As you can gather I don't think things have changed much here since it was a Roman Garrison!

What, squaddies being a absolute pain these days still lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, squaddies being a absolute pain these days still lol.

They are bless their little cotton socks. often it's the local lads wanting to show how 'tuff' they are, other times it's just too much booze. This time of year isn't too good for many though with the fireworks going off, makes them touchy. Quite honestly though I wouldn't have the squaddies any other way, they are unique and fantastic, best troops in the world.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are bless their little cotton socks. often it's the local lads wanting to show how 'tuff' they are, other times it's just too much booze. This time of year isn't too good for many though with the fireworks going off, makes them touchy. Quite honestly though I wouldn't have the squaddies any other way, they are unique and fantastic, best troops in the world.

I'll just concur, otherwise I will just get political.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oi, I was in Hove just last summer now. :p

I'm a big fan of what Livy had to say on the subject. Roman and Grecian training methods for their soldiers fascinate me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just concur, otherwise I will just get political.

Soldiers are what they have always been, from the time of the very first armies."We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us. Any blame lies where it has always lain, on the politicians who use those armies for their own benefit and gain.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oi, I was in Hove just last summer now. :p

I'm a big fan of what Livy had to say on the subject. Roman and Grecian training methods for their soldiers fascinate me.

Training methods ultimately killed the Legions, or to be precise the Legion. Fascinating subject matter I concur. Going to get Polybius on the eBook version, but need to get a memory card for the mobile. Why did get a windows phone. Oh well, back to the history, want to get my preface on the way.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soldiers are what they have always been, from the time of the very first armies."We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us. Any blame lies where it has always lain, on the politicians who use those armies for their own benefit and gain.

Yeah I will give a non committal agreement. Many have died at the hands of those whom have sat behind desks without the intellect needed to actually see. Battle plans, tactics that work on a wooden board with gusto! Yeah right, they just still don't comprehend on many levels. Right that is my end on that because I will just let fly with the right internal provocation. Sad yes, but sometimes I just wear my heart, on my sleeve.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might remember some with a bid more context...

Some parts in Germany, you can't put a fence post in without hitting something Roman...

But by the latter time of Eastern and Western, the whole thing had been crumbling for a while...the answer is probably as simple as 'no sestertias'

Do you any knowledge of the Batavian Auxiliaries when they accompanied the Vespasian army?

Vespasian Wiki Grab said:
Vespasian marched from Noviomagus Reginorum (Chichester) to subdue the hostile Durotriges and Dumnonii tribes,[10] captured twenty oppida (towns, or more probably hill forts, including Hod Hill and Maiden Castle in Dorset). He also invaded Vectis (now the Isle of Wight), finally setting up a fortress and legionary headquarters at Isca Dumnoniorum (Exeter). During this time he injured himself and had not fully recovered until he went to Egypt. These successes earned him triumphal regalia (ornamenta triumphalia) on his return to Rome.

Latest Discussions