Roman Period Anno Domini

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps. Any of you lot into history of all things Roman. Especially the latter period of the East and West Roman empire? Also the reign of Claudius AD 43's incursion into Blighty?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not my favourite period but we have a fair bit of Roman history where I live. We have a lot of Viking history too, in fact we have a fair bit of most periods lol. Stroppy lot the Yorkies.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was working overseas recently and was able to visit the home of some ancestors, Baden-Baden, in Germany. Translates to bathe in english and is well known for it's natural springs where Romans made a famous bath house, known as Aurelia Aquensis. We did the old fashioned coed nekid bathing ritual. It was pretty cool .

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not my favourite period but we have a fair bit of Roman history where I live. We have a lot of Viking history too, in fact we have a fair bit of most periods lol. Stroppy lot the Yorkies.

Not so much from my part of Essex in terms of physical Roman stuff like bath houses and such like, just Colchester with its rich heritage. At the moment I am reading a novel that is in the time line not long after the Zeno period. I am interested why the then Roman army restructured. I can't remember the terminology on the fly, but basically Centuries ceased and 400 men units arrived.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was working overseas recently and was able to visit the home of some ancestors, Baden-Baden, in Germany. Translates to bathe in english and is well known for it's natural springs where Romans made a famous bath house, known as Aurelia Aquensis. We did the old fashioned coed nekid bathing ritual. It was pretty cool .

Yeah and famous for a lot more. Recognised the name straight away. At some point I would like to visit the Bath one.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not so much from my part of Essex in terms of physical Roman stuff like bath houses and such like, just Colchester with its rich heritage. At the moment I am reading a novel that is in the time line not long after the Zeno period. I am interested why the then Roman army restructured. I can't remember the terminology on the fly, but basically Centuries ceased and 400 men units arrived.

I might remember some with a bid more context...

Some parts in Germany, you can't put a fence post in without hitting something Roman...

But by the latter time of Eastern and Western, the whole thing had been crumbling for a while...the answer is probably as simple as 'no sestertias'

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting to read that it may have been the Romans that kicked-off York as a settlement and before then little if no local presence there; that is something I was not aware of nor had really considered.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to read that it may have been the Romans that kicked-off York as a settlement and before then little if no local presence there; that is something I was not aware of nor had really considered.

Nor was I. Interesting that.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might remember some with a bid more context...

Some parts in Germany, you can't put a fence post in without hitting something Roman...

But by the latter time of Eastern and Western, the whole thing had been crumbling for a while...the answer is probably as simple as 'no sestertias'

Indeed, but not so much the crumbling of the Empire, more post Britain and more towards the end of Constantine. It is the make up of troops and composition I am after.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the legend of the Ninth. Very good film with Channing Tatum. Probably as close to the truth as it can be.

Haven't see the film, we mislay quite a lot of troops here, usually into the arms of ladies who are anxious to part them from their money. I dare say their ancestors parted the Roman soldiers from theirs too...

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't see the film, we mislay quite a lot of troops here, usually into the arms of ladies who are anxious to part them from their money. I dare say their ancestors parted the Roman soldiers from theirs too...

Good film. Not like the old 50's and 60's fare, although I would cite the Naval battle in Ben -Hur as being legendary. Eagle though has a particularly hefty performance from Mark Strong. Jamie Bell was very good too. Well worth a watch if you like things Roman.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good film. Not like the old 50's and 60's fare, although I would cite the Naval battle in Ben -Hur as being legendary. Eagle though has a particularly hefty performance from Mark Strong. Jamie Bell was very good too. Well worth a watch if you like things Roman.

We have enough military battles here I can watch live lol, especially now I don't have to break them up anymore :rofl: As you can gather I don't think things have changed much here since it was a Roman Garrison!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you liked the movie, and on the assumption you do like to read, you should try the book the film is based on, written by Rosemary Sutcliffe (sp?) (she has other penned other such works also, some of which are very good). The book is a far superior experience, as often the case, than the screen adaptation.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you liked the movie, and on the assumption you do like to read, you should try the book the film is based on, written by Rosemary Sutcliffe (sp?) (she has other penned other such works also, some of which are very good). The book is a far superior experience, as often the case, than the screen adaptation.

It is still in print. Mmm, never guessed that Marcus was Equestrian class. Anyway, managed to get a little nearer to answering my questions. Reading about the foederati was quite informing. Seems like the Romans also invented the Rapid Deployment idea as well with their mobile reserves thinking, rather than the usual static defense. Looks like I going to have to get some textbooks though. From the earlier period, I think I would to have met Polybius. Did not know The Histories is available.

Latest Discussions