ROK Army in Vietnam

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you out there's lineage started with or has ties to the ROK Army from Vietnam?

My first instructors Master was/is a Vietnam Vet who was an American Correspondant with ROK Army Tiger division. I heard some of the stories and was always facinated. And Our Grandmaster was a ROK Marine Vietnam Vet with the Blue Dragon division.

My second Master was a ROK Army TKD instructor.

So any others influenced by this?

Last edited:
OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
noticed a lot of views, but no comments. My guess is maybe some dont know what it is I am talking about or are looking for more information..

So here is a informational type link with a little info.

http://www.vietvet.co.kr/

Vietvet.co.kr said:
Captured Viet Cong orders now stipulate that contact with the Koreans is to be avoided at
all costs unless a Viet Cong victory is 100% certain. Never defy Korean soldiers without
discrimination, even when are not armed, for they all well trained with Taekwondo.
An excerpt from an enemy directive seized. - July 22, 1966 Time -

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Sorry my GM is from Korea so, no to answer your question. But I enjoyed looking through all the photos from that link.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great Link I know GM Kim out in California help trained the ROK military. I gave him a call but he has not called me back, do not want to say anyhting that maybe misleading so trying to make sure I have the facts right from memory.

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Sorry my GM is from Korea so, no to answer your question. But I enjoyed looking through all the photos from that link.

All of mine are too. The First was a ROK Marine, The second was a ROK Army TKD Instructor, and my current I dont know if he did or not.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
noticed a lot of views, but no comments. My guess is maybe some dont know what it is I am talking about or are looking for more information..

So here is a informational type link with a little info.

http://www.vietvet.co.kr/

First, my Hapkido instructor in Seoul Korea was a ROK veteran from Vietnam, and he did some training of US and other groups while in Vietnam. Not sure of any influences there, but...

As to the web site you sent, there is a virus that attempts to attack computers if you go into some portions of the site, so be careful!

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

care to share?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My Kwan Jang Nim was an instructor of hand to hand combat for the ROK's Army 9th Division from 1955-1957. He was also the hand to hand combat instructor for the U.S. Army 8th Division stationed in Korea from 1961-1969.