Rocky Balboa

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
-----------
Mod. Note:

Thread Moved to Rec Room from Western Martial Arts because of the nature of the thread - the movie as an entertainment and inspiring piece rather than an analysis of boxing as a Western Martial Art. As such, it will likely generate more traffic in the Rec Room. Thank you.

Jonathan Randall
MT Moderator

Kaizen

White Belt
Reaction score
GC,

I have seen it. I had low expectations based on the last couple of films in the series. I was pleasantly surprised. Don't expect Academy Award winning acting, just good Saturday matinée fare. The messages of the film are well delivered -never give up and think for yourself. If you are a fan of Rocky 1 and 2, you will like this version. Enjoy.

OP
German Coach

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
GC,

I have seen it. I had low expectations based on the last couple of films in the series. I was pleasantly surprised. Don't expect Academy Award winning acting, just good Saturday matinée fare. The messages of the film are well delivered -never give up and think for yourself. If you are a fan of Rocky 1 and 2, you will like this version. Enjoy.

Thanks - that´s my philosophie :)

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was a great movie. Not Academy Award great, but great in other ways. I like a movie that is wholesome (that I can take my children to...3 boys ages 15,13,10), that has a good message, that has action, that is inspiring. The movie was all of that.

Professional sports assume that once you reach your 40s you are finished. But in martial arts, great masters continue to be competitive (although most do not compete) into their 70s.

Good movie. Worth watching more than once.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched it a week, or so ago. The first hour was pretty slow, and if I was'nt with friends as their guest. I probably would have left the theater. However I did end up staying, and overall enjoying the movie. I don't think its gonna win any awards, but it played more like the original 2. Than any of the other "Rocky" sequels,that I have seen. I think that they may be opting for a Balboa2. Because of the way some "new" characters were introduced.

1stJohn1:9

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw it and I liked it. I would see it again when it comes out to DVD / video.
It does start slow although I think that helps to set up the rest of the movie.
I am glad he made another one instead of ending it with Rocky V. I thought this one much better than the last one.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that one definitely belongs on the shelves of cinematic classics alright.

NOT!

Taste is pretty subjective, of course. I really liked the Conan movies, not because they were great (or even particularly accurate), but because they were fun. Of course, it also shares shelf space with Seven Samurai, Dead Poet's Society, and Kung Fu Hustle, so there you go. ;)

Haven't seen Rocky Balboa, but it's good to hear that it's enjoyable. I was, honestly, worried it would just be a cash sink to get some people some paychecks. Nice to know I was mistaken. :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoyed Conan also but I can see where those that were into the books first may not enjoy the movies as much.
I read the books after the movies.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know it's been out for a while...hell, I've even owned it since September I think, I just watched it tonight.

I agree that it obviously wasn't academy award fare, but as far as movies go, I am glad to include it in the series. I was impressed with the way that all of the characters were in the story, regardless of their physical presence (trying to not spoil anything).

I was very pleased with it and will certainly watch it again.

Latest Discussions