Robinson's Tae Kwon Do

M

markulous

Just wondering if anyone goes here or has been to Robinson's Tae Kwon Do. It's located in Lodi, CA. And if you have what you thought of it.

My reason for asking is because he doesn't let people watch his sessions for some reason. Thanks.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by markulous
My reason for asking is because he doesn't let people watch his sessions for some reason. Thanks.

I'm not in CA, but this statement makes that dojang seem to be McDojang-ish. Run far far away from there.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, maybe... or maybe not.

I don't let people come in and watch my Hapkido classes either. Hapkido is not a spectator sport, and my students don't deserve to be watched baring themselves as they make mistakes, work to learn and struggle with the many demons that go along with MA training and polishing like goldfish in a bowl. I don't know why the TKD teacher doesn't let people come in and watch. But I expect that a person who comes to visit in my school would a.) be invited or referred by someone I respect and/or b.) bring their workout clothes or uniform and be prepared to pull their weight on the mat. I don't think its written anywhere that MA teachers are required to put on a free show for prospective students. Want spectator sports? Theres always Football, Baseball, Hockey and Basketball. Your choice.

BestWishes,

Bruce

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by glad2bhere
Well, maybe... or maybe not.

I don't let people come in and watch my Hapkido classes either. Hapkido is not a spectator sport, and my students don't deserve to be watched baring themselves as they make mistakes, work to learn and struggle with the many demons that go along with MA training and polishing like goldfish in a bowl. I don't know why the TKD teacher doesn't let people come in and watch. But I expect that a person who comes to visit in my school would a.) be invited or referred by someone I respect and/or b.) bring their workout clothes or uniform and be prepared to pull their weight on the mat. I don't think its written anywhere that MA teachers are required to put on a free show for prospective students. Want spectator sports? Theres always Football, Baseball, Hockey and Basketball. Your choice.

BestWishes,

Bruce

Good post. Many people are looking for entertainment, or diversion. Let them find it somwhere else.:asian:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I move and end up having to find another dojang, I would want to watch a class/take a free class and speak to the instructor before I even join. If I can't check out the dojang to see if I like it/suits me, why would I join? I wouldn't call that spectating.

I wouldn't want to be stuck at a school I didn't like (I'm not saying yours is bad, though). I been there done that.

OP
D

Disco

I'm with Laurie on this. Everybody that runs their own school has their own viewpoints, that's what makes the world go round. But how many times have we all heard and even seen here on different threads that if someone refuses to let people observe a class, perhaps they have something to hide. Bruce at least expects them to get on the mat - Hey that's a free introductory class. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I want people to watch and perhaps spark an interest in learning. If they take the time to come to the dojo/dojang/gym, why turn them away. Kind of like cutting your nose off to spite your face. A teacher is only as good as his/her students. But first, you have to have students.

:asian:

OP
M

Mudo Warrior

[COLOR=Red]I have to agree with Bruce in that an experienced martial artist needs to hit the mat to see what my class is all about and I also offer free classes to beginers. However, some more timid begginers feel more comfortable watching the first class. I have also been to some very good schools and some very bad schools that don't allow watchers. I believe that pressure is good so why not let people watch my students. The added pressure of stangers and friends watching them and me is alot less than the pressure they would be under if we had to defend ourselves on the street. My philosophy like my instuctors has always been the harder I can make the physical and mental aspects of training the easier it will be when a student needs to defend themselves or even just to deal with a stressful situation[/COLOR]. :asian:

Latest Discussions