board breaking

E

elcajon555

Here is the deal I am going to be testing for my second degree black belt in a week and I am having trouble with my board break, as in I am having trouble coming up with things to do. Three breaks is the standard in my school, I am doing a brick break but after that I have no idea. Any suggestions would be nice thanx.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elcajon555,

Welcome to Martial Talk. You have a good start here by postig questions for help. If you have any technical issues with the forum feel free to contact one fo the staff or post it in the computer section.

As to breaking, are they all single board breaks or multiple boards in the same holder? Or are they multiple boards in different holders?

I have always found the speed break to be difficult, yet fun when it is pulled off.

Is there a list to chose from?

Do you have a favorite technique you have always used to break with? If so then using it might be expected. You might want to choose something else to surprise you instructors. Yet, practice them to make sure you have good confidence in the breaks before hand.

I know I have asked more questions then I have given answers.

I hope this helps to get the thoughts moving anyways, if not at least another post on the subject.

:asian:

OP
D

Disco

If you haven't tried this approach, it's very entertaining and impressive. Multiple breaks (minimum of 6) done in sequence. Either set the holders in a straight line or staggered line or circle. Once you start there's no stopping and to pass, all breaks are done on the first attempt. You choose the techniques, but challenge yourself.

OP
E

elcajon555

Rich parsons:

Basically it can be anything I want. Whether that be multiple boards or multiple breaks. And there isn;t a list to choose from just any kick or varition of all the kicks. And one of my problems is not wanting to do something I have done alot of in the past which is one or two techniques. The problem with that is that I feel most comfortable with the techniques I am known for. And I have never tried a sequence breaking routine, thats an interesting idea.

OP
C

Crazy Chihuahua

At my first degree test, we were allowed to do a series of six breaks (to entertain the audience, as we allowed public viewing of the test,) and one of the breaks I performed was a front kick, done on a board tilted downward, held above my head by a holder on a chair. You can vary this with aerial techniques to make it even more exciting. I also did a head-break. Always a crowd-pleaser. ;) Everybody likes watching people smash stuff on their skull! Though, you said it had to be kicks, so I guess that's not an option for you.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

I'm sorry, I never really had a fear of board breaking, but I'm not too keen on breaking with my head...sorry...LOL...that's quite amusing, but not for me.

OP
N

Nick Ellerton

Crazy Chihuahua said:
At my first degree test, we were allowed to do a series of six breaks (to entertain the audience, as we allowed public viewing of the test,) and one of the breaks I performed was a front kick, done on a board tilted downward, held above my head by a holder on a chair. You can vary this with aerial techniques to make it even more exciting. I also did a head-break. Always a crowd-pleaser. ;) Everybody likes watching people smash stuff on their skull! Though, you said it had to be kicks, so I guess that's not an option for you.

can i ask the purpose of breaking boards in an art, they do not hit back and you sir only insulted ur inteligence by using your head to break a boad to please those in the crowd, im sure they would find it entertaining if you were to nock urself cold as well so what is the point in doing it =os

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Nick Ellerton said:
can i ask the purpose of breaking boards in an art, they do not hit back and you sir only insulted ur inteligence by using your head to break a boad to please those in the crowd, im sure they would find it entertaining if you were to nock urself cold as well so what is the point in doing it =os

I don't know why everyone who doesn't do board breaks always has to steal this quote from Enter the Dragon. Boards do too hit back if you fail to break them (or at least it will feel like it). Besides showing off, breaks are a good way to test the potential power of a technique, because you get more feedback that hitting into a pad or bag. It can give you slightly more of an idea of what it's like to hit into bone.

elcajon, I know you don't really like the side kick, but I think this would be an excellent time for you too practice it. It doesn't take much speed to go through 3 boards with a sidekick, just decent technique. I highly recommend it for one of your breaks.

If you're allowed to do one hand/arm technique, I also recommend the fore-arm smash. That's a good one because the impact is on the meaty part of your arm, and you're not as likely to hurt yourself if you screw up the first time.

The front snap kick is another good one, if you can pull your toes back so the impact is on the ball of your foot.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Its for incase you get attacked by a tree and need to defend yourself....

hahahahha

ok ill be quiet
:idunno:

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Nick Ellerton said:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do striking arts practitioners break boards?
Because unless I'm either going to demonstrate my full power technique on a classmate or unlucky volunteer, or become a hoodlum, there is no other way to demonstrate the power and effectiveness of your technique.
Last time I checked, Bruce Lee's been dead for about 30 years.

OP
N

Nick Ellerton

Zepp said:
I don't know why everyone who doesn't do board breaks always has to steal this quote from Enter the Dragon. Boards do too hit back if you fail to break them (or at least it will feel like it). Besides showing off, breaks are a good way to test the potential power of a technique, because you get more feedback that hitting into a pad or bag. It can give you slightly more of an idea of what it's like to hit into bone.

elcajon, I know you don't really like the side kick, but I think this would be an excellent time for you too practice it. It doesn't take much speed to go through 3 boards with a sidekick, just decent technique. I highly recommend it for one of your breaks.

If you're allowed to do one hand/arm technique, I also recommend the fore-arm smash. That's a good one because the impact is on the meaty part of your arm, and you're not as likely to hurt yourself if you screw up the first time.

The front snap kick is another good one, if you can pull your toes back so the impact is on the ball of your foot.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Ok how does the striking of a piece of board reflect the striking of a body, yeah sure it gives us a better idea of power and i didnt steal anything from enter the dragon, it is oh so true those words spoken, they dont hit back, and all breaking boards proves is that you might make a good lumberjacks apprentice, if you enjoy breaking boards then so b it. But y do it, yes it is fun to break things period. But how is the potential power of a technique designed to be affective agains joe average not treebeard out of lord of the rings. Unless the sylabis is desigend for board breaking and nothing more then you no whats the point. Bottomline is dude if you enjoy urself thats the main thing

cheers

OP
N

Nick Ellerton

MichiganTKD said:
Why do striking arts practitioners break boards?
Because unless I'm either going to demonstrate my full power technique on a classmate or unlucky volunteer, or become a hoodlum, there is no other way to demonstrate the power and effectiveness of your technique.
Last time I checked, Bruce Lee's been dead for about 30 years.

OK dude what is that last bit supposed to mean, yeah he has been dead 30 years does that mean that we stop showing respect towards one of the most innovative martial artists to ever grace the history books? If think so then you need a head check.

cheers.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

elcajon555 said:
Here is the deal I am going to be testing for my second degree black belt in a week and I am having trouble with my board break, as in I am having trouble coming up with things to do. Three breaks is the standard in my school, I am doing a brick break but after that I have no idea. Any suggestions would be nice thanx.

I just tested for my 1st BB. I did a brick w/a palm heel; board w/an Ax Kick; board w/an elbow strike and attempted a board w/a cross-step sidekick but there was a curse on all cross-step sidekicks that day, but then switched it to palm heel.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nick-o,

What it's supposed to mean is that just because the almighty Bruce Lee said it doesn't mean it's true. I've noticed that the people who denigrate breaking are either (a) non-striking arts practitioners who wouldn't use breaking anyway, or (b) people who just want self defense and free sparring.
Again, unless I'm going to hit people full power to test my technique, breaking is the only way I can see how powerful my technique is. No it's not perfect, but I don't a better way. And I hardly consider Bruce Lee a role model of an ideal martial artist. His technique was pretty good, but there is more to martial arts than just technique.

OP
E

elcajon555

When training in martial arts, you train both your body and your mind. Now obviously when you break that is no small physical feat. It is also a great mental feat as well. Alot goes into breaking, there is a lot of doubt and uncetainty. When you put one board two boards three boards in front of someone they do change the way they kick or punch because of the lack of confidence and doubt, but when someone breaks it builds confidence it helps you overcome mental obsticals and whatnot. Now when you stack bricks the mind as more to do with it. Breaking, yes it shows your abiltiy and power, but it also proves your confidence and your ability to trust yourself.
Here is a little story, obviously I have tested since the post and I did a brick break, now before the pretest I broke brick about 4-5 times no problem, I was going throught 3 bricks like butter, so physically it wasn;t a challege. Now we get to the pretest I set up my bricks and the master comes down to watch me and I tried three times and didn;t break a single brick, that had never happened to me. Until that night I had never not broken a single brick and the reason was the master's pressence got inside my head and I wasn;t able to do it. Long story short breaking shows a lot more then the a technigue and should be encouraged.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Zepp said:
I really need to pay more attention to the dates on these "revived" threads.

You and me both. lol

OP
E

elcajon555

Its all good now we can talk about breaking in general.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

elcajon555 said:
Its all good now we can talk about breaking in general.

That's true. It's just plain fun too. I had my first brick this past Sat. It is a different experience and a whole different mindset. I had been looking forward to that since I first walked in the doors.

:partyon:

Lorrie

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I think there is a place for breaking but I draw the line at some of the theatrical stuff I have seen. By this I mean that breaking six boards mounted between two concrete blocks is a decent break. Pouring gasoline over the boards and setting them alight, and then breaking boards on the silly. I have also seen a case where a person attempted to break 12 plates of glass---and failed-- breaking the rest of them with a second bloody attempt. I don't know if he severed anything but he was taken to the hospital for stitches. I am also not real keen on baseball bat breaks with the shins though they can be pretty impressive, nor do I vote for the beer-bottle breaks (for the same reason I don't support the plate glass break mentioned above.). I think if I wanted to make a decent impression I would pick a particular hyung and perform it without the breaks. Then I could have people come out and hold boards at selected places and perform the hyung a second time, executing the prescribed break with the technique at that selected part of the form.

As far as a reason for breaking, I agree that boards don't strike back. They DO however resist and absorb energy. Hence it is reasonable to conclude that a person who can generate enough power to consistently break material with little or no preparation might well be considered to have developed sufficient ability and conditioning and confidence to take care of himself. No guarentees that he will win a fight, only that he is in good condition and has been diligent in his preparation. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions