Respect, Skill, Knowledge, Fame...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a thread about Kenpo seniors, LawDog wrote:
Respected.
If you are liked and / or are popular you will be respected and will be thus listed.
If you are disliked and / or are unpopular, no matter how good you are or were you will not usually make the list.

He went on to allude to several less

This started me thinking...

Is there a difference between respect and fame? Are there unknown masters simply because they simply aren't respected or liked? Or maybe just aren't as visible as some others?

What do you think about fame or renown vs knowledge and skill?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It comes down to personality. You could be the best in your art but if nobody can stand to be near you and a lesser skilled person has a big personality they will be the face of the style.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many garage masters who are happy right where they are. My wifes uncle has taught that way since the 1970's. He's in his '70's and can seriously rock a heavy bag that would make people half his age envious. No joke.

Many unknowns out there. Fame isn't for everyone. Something to think about.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Respect and fame a diffferent. You can be well respected by people who know you or train with you, but if a lot of people don't know about you, you are not famous. In my opinion, too many chase the fame, doing things that harm the respect held for them.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respect and fame a diffferent. You can be well respected by people who know you or train with you, but if a lot of people don't know about you, you are not famous. In my opinion, too many chase the fame, doing things that harm the respect held for them.

+1

Respect is earned by training hard, teacing correctly and conducting yourself is a high caliber manner. IMHO, a martial artist shouldn't be seeking fame. If it happens, fine but it is not the goal in martial arts.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Respect is not really gaining fame. It is doing what you are doing and then earning it. There are those that are respected but due to their humble attitude towards society, they decided not to be so famous, and not to be so much known by society, they don't seek wealth either. Now fame is just a bonus type of thing. Where people repect you but also worship you as some sort of deity. They are more known in society, and seek wealth. So there is a difference between respect and fame to some degree.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some martial arts are directly set up to elevate the status of those teaching it, some of them have become downright cults over the years. There is much fame, money and "respect" amongst the student bodies of the schools involved. Some of the leaders of these organizations have gained great fame, even from those not associated. As famous "********ters."

But for every one of those, there are hundreds of great schools, teachers and students. I've never met a great Martial Artist who was looking for respect, it found him/her on it's own - through us, all of us.

Latest Discussions