Respect for leader of MA

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Throughout the history of Martial Arts there has always been a level of respect for the Teacher of said Art, weather from his students or from other compettitors from other towns, city's, kwans. They where looked upon as a devoted Man or (Woman) to there particular style and was thought as a community leader to the willing, my question to you is where did western civilazation go wrong in there teaching, why is Martial Art looked down upon by the general public, where and how can we fix the never ending cycle of being the dog of the human race and be looked upon as a true leader in society again. Has Martial Art desolved so much that no-one respect the teaching or is it just that way because of society. GOD BLESS AMERICA

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Western society is more responsible for that. There are still places here in the US where that's not the case, but for the most part, it's western society IMHO.

S

Shurikan

Its the McDojo's that is the problem producing black belts like mcdonalds produces hamburgers. It use to be 20 years ago a black belt meant something even in western civilization, but now you can pretty much buy one at most dojos. Although there are still afew around that people really respect for there dedication and hard work , people would still rather get an easy belt. As an instructor i would rather have a handful of very good students then a dojo full of just people paying there monthly dues.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From the knee high black belt to the teen age holder of the McDojo Black belt are ruining where we stand. Most kids in high school know "karate don't work", why they freely pick on the local mcdojo students. Not that fighting is the end all. Is philosophy being taught? Not a PC Anthony Robins motivational seminar, but the philosophy of the martial arts. Do kids have repect for the human entity or just know enough to run around shouting yes sir, no sir??

Todd

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably is just western society. What martial arts is about is largely unknown to the general public. It isn't mainstreamed in schools like basketball, gymnastics, field sports or even golf. Our junior high teaches frisbee, for petes sake, but wouldn't even consider renting space for martial arts, let alone permitting it be in their curriculum. It is not the "American Way" like football and baseball which we all gather together to watch in revelry. Well, we all know martial arts is not for everybody, but it should be. Those that do not have morals and character should not learn something just to use it against others wrongly. So I can see the schools viewpoint, that bullies don't need to be trained. But actually they do, just not physically so much. Most kids have their moral values set at an early age and are reflected by their parents. Look at the parent and see the child. While martial arts can reinforce those values, I still think they have to be basically there before starting martial arts. In Taekwondo, an individual will be in training about 3-1/2 to 4 years at least (or more) before they become black belt and acquire deadly skills. In that time, the master or instructor must see whether that person should advance to black belt. Then we have violent martial arts movies which do not emphasize these values. Most think, I believe, that martial arts are violent and breed violence. It is this misconception that has to be addressed for the parents and potential adult students. But it comes down to the fact that America is morally decaying in its' values. They aren't the same as when I was going to school in the 50-60's. Even our school teachers are attacked and held in contempt by students who have lost the value of respect. It's not just a martial arts phenomena as it concerns us all where America is going unless our values are strengthened. The trouble is, is what most people don't realize is that like church, martial arts does help that problem. So, then it comes back to the education of martial arts to the mainstream public. We can only try. TW

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When ever i advance in belt or reach the next level...i am asked....so do you think you earned it.....i always answer...if you belive so.....i am a humble MA student cause I know that there is someone out there that could be the living crap out of me and i know my sensei can too. Also I humble myself out of resepect for other and more experinced MA students.....I always put forth 110% every class and I think about who was the fist person to learn what I am learning and where they thinking the same as I was.....Never once to I question my Sensei's teachings....i only ask what it dose....and he demostrates it for me and I see what kind of damage the move dose. I only ask to have a better understanding of what I am learning. martial arts is not th decay of socity...in fact we look to better it....but one think is for certain....we need to keep the respect for the art in full or we have nothing, and we are thought of as nothing. Bully's can take Martial arts and become a beter bully only if they have a poor trainer. To be the best you must humble yourself to the best and learn from there experince and teachings. And the title master should be outlawed by the martial arts community, the title really goes to the holers head and from there we get bullying and disrespect, and from there the so called master never looks to better him or herself. Respect your instructors and admire them for what they know, but never worship them. Some abuse the power of respect and make it an evil thing...so in the long run. We have no one but ourselves to blame. MA will change and it will change for the better. It is only a matter of evolution. :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is similar to another current thread about "measuring character". In a post by lvwhitebr there is link to an educational program to teach character and not promoting until requirements are met. I think that is a step in the right direction. Lvwhitebr instituted a similar program. The program has specific goals to reach in achieving each belt. I think this would attract parents who either have (1) disciplinary control problem or (2) would like to reinforce their values. Its called the six tasks program, there are journals for the students, posters, postcards, press releases, award certificates, merit badges for a quick overview.

The tasks are (1) Respect: 50 acts of courtesy, kindness and respect. 2) Teamwork: 50 home chores 30 Perseverance: 1000 repetitions 4) Self-discipline: five days of healthy eating 5) Leadership: Ten mentoring sessions w/another student 6) Knowledge: read two books, write ten letters.

Located at: www.sixtasks.com

It does say you have to be member to order this program which is an additonal 25. a month for an instructor. There is another link to that site
http://www.masuccess.com/

I think it is a step in the right direction. TW

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that the 'leaders of MA' over time have had good and bad representatives and just like anywhere else, word of mouth spreads faster about the bad than it does about the good.

If an organization or an individual tries to rush the learning because status and titles are more important than quality in personal practice or artistic skill, then they will probably make a bad representation of martial arts to the general public.

The other thing to consider, though I think there are things that are worth being proud of in martial arts tradition, some schools were the equivalent to gangs with reputation and turf that they defended with force and violence. If culturally based prejudice (say a Japanese culture brings a bad impression of a certain type of system or certain school with them as they immigrate) about a chinese art or a korean art (which is really nothing more than targeted racism) then that will play havoc and perpetuate interculture/system rivalries that can leave a bad taste in some new people's mouths.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I blame consumer mentality and a pandering to it by lowering our standards.
BY lowering the bar so that the average can "feel" great, we demean the means of becoming great.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions