Relaunching The Krav Maga Forum.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on what looks to be an increased interest, as well as a few requests, I've resetup a KravMaga forum here, and moved some threads back in. As always, it's up to everyone who is interested to help make this a success. :)

So, post away. :D

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks for relaunching the forum..
krav maga is getting more and more popular now because it's a part of law enforcement training, it's used by hollywood stars, and it's expanding in the US after it proved its efficiency..
now if you go to http://www.kravmaga.com you will find locations every where!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since there is a new section for Krav Maga perhaps someone would be so kind as to provide some history and philosophy of the art, explain differences between the military and civilian branches of the art.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i believe krav maga was born in 1926 in czeckoslovakia, in the jewish ghettoes by a psychologist who studied the natural human reactions to fear, and threat.
his idea was to use the reaction of the human and employee that reaction to be able to get out of dangerous threatening situations without having to be trained.
the founder, IMI LECHTENFELD (not sure of spelling the last name) imported some moves from different arts, like Judo for instance. He employed krav maga in fights in the ghettoes of Bratislava and kept iterating through the techniques making them better and more effective.
Krav maga was taught to the jewish gangs in palestine in the late 30's and 40's until it became mature enough to be adopted by the jewish state of Israel.
later on krav maga adopted the belt system to be classified as an official martial art in the 60's. i believe they have a no-belt, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, then two degrees of black belt.
they have different programs that are civilian, law enforcement, and instructor programs. I am sorry I am not sure what differs between them.
i know they only have 2 stances though :) only 2!
it's supposed to help the kids, ladies, the disabled, and the drugged to defend themselves against any weapon and under any condition.
the question that I have is: is it as strong as advertised? or it only has good marketing?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Based on what looks to be an increased interest, as well as a few requests, I've resetup a KravMaga forum here, and moved some threads back in. As always, it's up to everyone who is interested to help make this a success. :)

Thanks for doing so. I've cross trained, off and on, in KM since 1999. I've found that the basic combatives, as explained in the "official" KM tapes come more naturally for me than traditional karate or TKD strikes and leave me less vulnerable to counter by someone trained in boxing or MMA. However, I have a few points of monumental disagreement with the KM on my tapes. For instance, the low block shows the practioner bending forward with their chin exposed, and the handgun defense advocates a punch to the face after clearing (but not disarming) the weapon. Except for these two major areas, I have found KM to be a useful adjunct to my boxing and karate and tkd skills. Also, I respect the emphasis they put upon conditioning and realistic scenarios. I've never had a problem getting an answer to a KM question from John Whitman at the official KM forum. Any way to invite him to our shindig?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone can invite almost anyone over. I just ask that it's always done in a net-friendly way (no mass emails, or dragging folks to keyboards while in headlocks. :D)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i dint know there's more than KM in israel..
what's that?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

Now that I got that outta my system:

mantis said:
i believe krav maga was born in 1926 in czeckoslovakia, in the jewish ghettoes by a psychologist who studied the natural human reactions to fear, and threat.
his idea was to use the reaction of the human and employee that reaction to be able to get out of dangerous threatening situations without having to be trained.
the founder, IMI LECHTENFELD (not sure of spelling the last name) imported some moves from different arts, like Judo for instance. He employed krav maga in fights in the ghettoes of Bratislava and kept iterating through the techniques making them better and more effective.
Krav maga was taught to the jewish gangs in palestine in the late 30's and 40's until it became mature enough to be adopted by the jewish state of Israel.
later on krav maga adopted the belt system to be classified as an official martial art in the 60's. i believe they have a no-belt, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, then two degrees of black belt.
they have different programs that are civilian, law enforcement, and instructor programs. I am sorry I am not sure what differs between them.
i know they only have 2 stances though :) only 2!
it's supposed to help the kids, ladies, the disabled, and the drugged to defend themselves against any weapon and under any condition.
the question that I have is: is it as strong as advertised? or it only has good marketing?
There's a lot of confusion in this post. Read this post for more accurate info http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14.

I don't know of any other Israeli martial art.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Since there is a new section for Krav Maga perhaps someone would be so kind as to provide some history and philosophy of the art, explain differences between the military and civilian branches of the art.
History has been done here several times, so I'll stick to differences:

Military Krav Maga is taught based on the level of training the soldier requires. Soldier classes are called "Rova'i", or infantryman, with a number following. The higher the number, the more advanced the training. Standard infantry is 07. Shayetet, IDF's naval commando, are 013. 07 are taught things like use of a rifle as a striking weapon, basic punches and kicks, and maybe a knife or stick defense here and there. Special ops learn knife/stick defenses, probably takedowns for the very highly trained, and a lot of combatives.

Civilian Krav Maga has a completely different focus for a completely different population. Soldiers have guns, civilians not always. Also, smaller women have to be able to defend against larger men, something usually not found in the military. So things like releases from chokes, bearhugs, use of wristlocks and armbars are included in the curriculum. Kicking is practiced higher, since one isn't weighed down by combat boots. Military-only material, like using a rifle for striking, sentry takedowns, binding and the such, are still part of the civilian curriculum, but only in the higher levels.

Reactions: MJS

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
History has been done here several times, so I'll stick to differences:

Military Krav Maga is taught based on the level of training the soldier requires. Soldier classes are called "Rova'i", or infantryman, with a number following. The higher the number, the more advanced the training. Standard infantry is 07. Shayetet, IDF's naval commando, are 013. 07 are taught things like use of a rifle as a striking weapon, basic punches and kicks, and maybe a knife or stick defense here and there. Special ops learn knife/stick defenses, probably takedowns for the very highly trained, and a lot of combatives.

Civilian Krav Maga has a completely different focus for a completely different population. Soldiers have guns, civilians not always. Also, smaller women have to be able to defend against larger men, something usually not found in the military. So things like releases from chokes, bearhugs, use of wristlocks and armbars are included in the curriculum. Kicking is practiced higher, since one isn't weighed down by combat boots. Military-only material, like using a rifle for striking, sentry takedowns, binding and the such, are still part of the civilian curriculum, but only in the higher levels.
can you learn any of these?
in other words if you want to learn the law enforcement one, do you have to have a proof that you're in military or any other governmental force?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Military Krav Maga is taught by military instructors to soldiers. The only way to learn it is serve in the IDF.

Police Krav Maga is taught at police academies. I'm guessing it's police only.

Civilian Krav Maga, which covers all three forms, can be learned by anyone.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:

Yes! We have to work together to get this KM forum back into the game.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
i dint know there's more than KM in israel..
Couple of quick, off the top of my head Israeli Martial Arts....

Krav Maga- Already addressed

Krav Magan- An offshoot of Krav Maga

KAPAP - Promoted by Col. Avi NArdia. More of a military flavor ( http://www.avinardia.com/ )

F.I.G.H.T. - A israeli program taken from the Haganah. Haganah is primarily a mix of Israeli martial arts - called Krav Maga and Hisardut - and Israeli military systems. ( http://www.fight2survive.com )

ABIR - Another Jewish martial art. The grandmaster is located in Jerusalem and is a rabbi. ( http://www.abirwarriorarts.com )

LOTAR - is usally combined with KAPAP but is a military counter-terrorism style ( http://www.isiusa.us )

Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

Latest Discussions