Red State Blue? Or City Mouse vs Country?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://grist.org/news/growing-urban-electorate-is-bad-news-for-republicans/

countymap2012-main.jpg

The highest concentration of college-educated, high-wage earners live in cities. Are progressives drawn to cities? The sustainable and smart density, the no driving, the diversity? Or do cities create progressives? Maybe it’s both. But this was no Republican “concession.” This was a victory for cities. And unless the right changes its policies on transit, infrastructure, and renewable energy — not to mention reproductive rights, gay rights, civil rights … — they’re just going to keep on losing.
Susie Cagle writes and draws news for Grist. She also writes and draws tweets for Twitter.

A sustainable city? During the Blizzard of 77 my family managed to survive for weeks wo power stranded in our home. I doubt City denizens could do the same. The only thing sustainable about cities is the demand for everything needed for survival.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
City vs. country, yeah.

In the Blizzard of 77 we survived by snowmobile! I traveled all over Cheektowaga looking for an open store.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I nearly have lost my dad in the Blizzard of 77. His car went off the road on the 400 expressway and an indescribably good Samaritan driving a tractor trailer gave him a ride all the way home.

We got by because my parents kept a well stocked basement of canned goods and firewood. We kept warm with the fireplace and cooked food on a charcoal grill. When we could get out, the Tops supermarket was open with no power, with perishables on dry ice and store employees guiding people around by flashlight.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am named for my grandfather. He was named for William Jennings Bryan, who said:

Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country. --William Jennings Bryan

It was true then, it's true now. I'm an IT worker. But if I can't buy food, nothing I can do at work will feed me. Country boys can and do survive.

Latest Discussions