Really Bad Material

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
We're all trying to get the best instruction we can find. But sometimes it's fun to look at the worst. Squatting in my library like some sort of bloated venomous insect is a collection of real turkeys. You'll find a few of the worst at the bottom of the barrel, err, page. What are yours?

How to Say No to a Rapist and Survive by Fred Storaska
Anti-rape And Total Self-defense by H. H. The Dalai; Simon, O. E., Grand Master Seng-shi
Cold Steel by John Styers

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bought some Ninja books as a teen-ager that I now am embarrassed to have lying around!
When you were a kid the books were still written on stone tablets. Leave them where they are, you'll hurt your back trying to move them.:lol2:

Probably the worst thing I have around is the notebook that my first instructor put together. I still can't believe I stayed at that school long as I did. But hell, I was a newbie and didn't know any better.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bruce Tegner would get my vote.

I used to have a few. At the local book buy-back place I let my daughter sell them off! I have a pretty fair collection but I can say none are bad books!

Deaf

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of the worst books I've ever come across, is "Kyusho-Jitsu Vital Points Of the Human Body in Martial Arts" by Evan Pantazi.

I don't know who did the editing for this book but it was amateur. The Publisher, Budo International, should be ashamed. Throughout the book entire paragraphs are repeated, sometimes on the same page.

The writing is terrible as well, though I give allowances that martial artists aren't necessarily good writers, this book could have really used some more input from real writers before going to print.

All that aside, the information itself is in places misleading, in others blatantly false.

This book suffers greatly from an author who takes himself way too seriously (though don't we all) and has clearly, and sadly, mistaken a lifetime of brutal training techniques for an actual understanding of what the arts are about.

If you see it in the store, take a look for giggles sake, but don't waste your money.

Latest Discussions