Read Between The Lines

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NBA teams seek clearance to sign Iranian

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 6 hours, 58 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=aw-nbairan081608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
BEIJING – As interest has grown in the NBA over signing 7-foot-2 Iranian Olympian Hamed Ehadadi, the league office has sent a letter to its 30 teams instructing that they are forbidden to even discuss a contract with Ehadadi, Yahoo! Sports has learned.
In the letter, which was sent Friday, NBA legal counsel wrote: “It has come to our attention that representatives of Hamed Ehadadi, an Iranian basketball player, may be contacting NBA teams to discuss the possibility of signing Mr. Ehadadi to an NBA player contract.
“We have been advised that a federal statue prohibits a person or organization in the United States from engaging in business dealings with Iranian nationals.”
Why is it when I read between the lines on this article... it says we're going to war with Iran in the near future just like we did with Iraq??

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe we've normalized relations with Iran, and business dealings with Iran have been very strictly limited since the '80s, as I understand it. I don't think this is a harbinger of anything else.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't believe we've normalized relations with Iran, and business dealings with Iran have been very strictly limited since the '80s, as I understand it. I don't think this is a harbinger of anything else.
Yeah true, but considering that we "wimped out" when they committed an act of war by entering the U.S. embassy and taking hostages and we failed at a rescue attempt and was held with a knife at our throats for 444 days... How could we normalize relations with them? How do they view us?
Now we're rejecting/denying one of theirs the same opportunity given to a communist... what does that say?

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The prohibition has existed since the Carter Administration in the 1970s, when the hostage crisis occurred.

Oddly, most of the information I have seen indicates that your "average" Iranian is pro-Western. It has taken serious manipulation of the voting process in recent years to keep the current power structure in place.

Iran was the only muslim country that I am aware of that held candlelight vigils for the victims of 9/11, until the government put an end to them. It is possible that other countries, such as Kuwait Dubai, and Qatar did, but I am unaware of that happening.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The prohibition has existed since the Carter Administration in the 1970s, when the hostage crisis occurred.

Oddly, most of the information I have seen indicates that your "average" Iranian is pro-Western. It has taken serious manipulation of the voting process in recent years to keep the current power structure in place.

Iran was the only muslim country that I am aware of that held candlelight vigils for the victims of 9/11, until the government put an end to them. It is possible that other countries, such as Kuwait Dubai, and Qatar did, but I am unaware of that happening.
Well of course we're not going to hear about them... not when they're being demonized in our media! Harboring terrorist organizations simply on the basis of their geographic location. Hey, how many Japanese Americans were awarded the Medal Of Honor in WWII?? World War II Service

Many Japanese Americans served with great distinction during World War II in the American forces. The 442nd Regimental Combat Team/100th Infantry Battalion is one of the most highly decorated unit in U.S. military history. Composed of Japanese Americans, the 442nd/100th fought valiantly in the European Theater. The 522nd Nisei Field Artillery Battalion was one of the first units to liberate the prisoners of the Nazi concentration camp at Dachau. Hawaiʻi Senator Daniel K. Inouye is a veteran of the 442nd. Additionally the Military Intelligence Service consisted of Japanese Americans who served in the Pacific Front. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Americans 21 Medals of Honor (the first awarded posthumously to PFC Sadao Munemori, Company A, 100th Battalion, for action near Seravezza, Italy, on April 5, 1945; the others upgraded from other awards in June 2000). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Regimental_Combat_Team#Decorations
So who we declare enemies of the state aren't going to get good press no matter what! Can't have a double standard in our media/press now can we? So which version best serves the ones who want the wars?
How's that for manipulation?
Now if those Middle Eastern countries were selling oil to us at rock bottom prices I'd betcha the demonization would be a lot more individualized.
It goes against the logic of "...all terrorist are of middle eastern descent, but not all middle easterners are terrorists".

Last edited:

Latest Discussions