Rare Video of Original Tae Kwon-Do

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This video was just posted on Youtube by Alex Gillis (author of "A Killing Art"). It show a demonstration by 2 pioneer grandmasters and a team point sparring competition from 1976.

I have a deep interest in preserving and resurrecting original Tae Kwon-Do. This was such a rare find, that I wanted to get as many eyes on it as possible. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Those were the good old days. Great video. No hopping in and out, playing tag. This was fighting! I was surprised at the level of strong hand techniques that were the majority of the points scored. Much different in many respects from what is seen in today's competitions, not only in TKD, but karate as well.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video was just posted on Youtube by Alex Gillis (author of "A Killing Art"). It show a demonstration by 2 pioneer grandmasters and a team point sparring competition from 1976.

I have a deep interest in preserving and resurrecting original Tae Kwon-Do. This was such a rare find, that I wanted to get as many eyes on it as possible. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

This is what I observed in Korea.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was recently judged and presented the grandchampion trophy by GM Cees Keukens, at the Zang TKD Invitational. He is a very kind and knowledgeable man.
cees keukens.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

That is the year I started TKD :) very different then than what I see now

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Too bad it evolved into tag.

OP
MadMartigan

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Too bad it evolved into tag.
Tag would be generous to some tournaments that I've seen. Now days it seems that people are so terrified of student injuries that even incidental touch contact gets a warning called.
At least in tag, you don't assume the other person is made of glass.

I'm doing my best to keep the original spirit alive in my little corner of the world, but there are few of us left it seems.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm doing my best to keep the original spirit alive in my little corner of the world, but there are few of us left it seems.
There are still many training halls teaching the older ways, but I agree, what was once common place standard is now a rarer commodity.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are still many training halls teaching the older ways, but I agree, what was once common place standard is now a rarer commodity.
I guess the good news is that anyone walking the path of the old ways will be very valuable themselves. A rare find for anyone who likes the old ways better.

Latest Discussions