Ranks and Money

P

paihequan

This may be a loaded thread buit I am interested in hearing how many of you out there paid money for your rank testing and if so how much for the ranks received?

The reasoning is many out there will often deride others for paying for a rank even though it has been a part of many organizations.

How many of you out there have also recieved a rank from your instructor as rank for your experience, time within the arts and or service to the art or particular style? This is something sometimes seen taking place in regards to senior rank levels within various associations.

Looking forward to an open and hopefully friendly discusssion and sharing of views :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never paid for rank to date. In my current studies, there are fees for the Black though.

OP
P

paihequan

Thanks Bob.

Most schools of martial arts I am aware of charge varying amounts for rank testing and I am curious to see just what is being charged and how people feel about it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those of us that were testing and those not would chip in for the cost of flying our GM for a private event, and then test us.

Now if we could we would drive somewhere much more local and then pick him up and have the training and test.

So, I guess I paid about $150 for my tests, yet that included travel and lodging and training time.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for???

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
paihequan,

It cost $30 each time that we test. However the hidden cost is what really gets me. I couldn't imagine the amount of blood, sweat, and tears I would have to pay. I don't mind the money so much as long as I feel I am ready to test. Now black cost $270! The jury is still out on that one.

don

OP
P

paihequan

Rich,

Yeah this is what I looking for. Sounds like your GM's fees are quite reasonable. Given that it included travel and accommodation.

Some schools I'm aware of charge a fee for the actual grading and than extra for the certificate and belt/sash.

Lets hear from others?

OP
A

Astra

25euro for every rank up to Dan. Certificates, etc. are in that.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our gradings are priced at between £10 and £15 (about $15-23), which is pretty reasonable seeing as how the examiner has to travel around the country to get to us for a six hour grading. We don't get certificates until dan grades (plus instructor awards) and we buy our belts from wherever we like. Or take the belt of someone else who's just passed a grading.

I am happy to pay this price, as the chances to train with someone that highly graded are very rare within our style, and it's a worthwhile experience no matter what grade you go for.

OP
K

KenpoMatt

$20 US for every belt white through 1st black.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just started in nihon goshin about 4 months ago so I haven't tested there yet. My last school was $25 U.S. white to 1st black. There are no testing fees for black belt. Certificates and belts are included in the fee. The big money came in at first black. No actual testing fee but you had to pay $2500.00 to go to a seminat in Las Vegas to be tested. Fail your test and you had to do it all over again next year.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
The big money came in at first black. No actual testing fee but you had to pay $2500.00 to go to a seminat in Las Vegas to be tested. Fail your test and you had to do it all over again next year.

Now THAT's a scary figure! Did many people actually go for it, or was it only the rare few with more money than sense?

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tested most of my kids last night. Cost for student rank $15.00. Had one kid test for JR. Black Belt cost $25.00. Several people I know didn't pay, did these kids fail, no. I don't use the money thing for pass /fail. Use it to cover the cost of belts and to make certificates. I do make some money for testing, but nothing to quit my day job. Heck, once I changed my brown belts. Soild color brown is 1st Brown (lowest) went with a half brown half black belt for 2nd and 3rd brown. Had to get 7 or 8 belts. I gave them away to the kids that would be at that rank.
Bob :asian:

OP
D

Disco

I can't speak for any styles other than my own, which are Korean based.

From white to red stripe = 10 rankings. Testing fee's start at $22 and progress in $5 increases. Total fee cost = $445. Black Belt test fee was $200. All this has been quite some time ago. Don't know how much the color belt fee's have gone up, but I know that the BB fee has almost doubled and they added other venues for Black Belts. One can get either just a school BB certificate, an association certificate or a Kukkiwon certification or any combination of the three. Hummm, I think I hear Jerry McGuire calling:D

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
My sensei charges me $15 for my students promotions. I add on $10 to cover the belt and postage.

:asian:

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm - In my primary style it ranged from $15 (USD) for Yellow to $75 (USD) for Black. Included belt and certificate, and on the BB test a panel consisting of 7 BB's from 3 styles, ranging from 2nd to 10th dan.

-SB

OP
I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

The money I have had to pay is only for the things like:
Certificate
Wood (for breaking)
And the belt itself

These things can't just be given out, definatly not in a school with as many students that are in my school. There are just too many students for these things to be handed out.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we have a testing fees ranging between $12.00 - $29.00 from yellow belt to brown belt. Black belt testing is $65.00.
more one on one time is spent pretesting and testing the student as they advance which is why higher levels are more expensive.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never paid for a rank, but I have compensated my instructor for having tested me.
The rank I earned by satisfying my instructors expectations.
The $$$ he earned for giving of himself.
The art is free
The rank...
blood
sweat
tears
time....
and hunks of flesh.

Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $skeleton doing the worm.gif
    $skeleton doing the worm.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 173
OP
P

paihequan

Interesting. Most of you have shared of your experiences and the fees payable seem reasonable and around similar levels.

How then would you respond to the words that you have paid for your rank?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have paid or my rank the same way Brother John said with blood sweat and tears (at times) oh I forgot i washed dishes after the last promotion because we had dinner at my instructors house afterwards
yes i paid for it i didnt buy it

Latest Discussions