Racism: have you encountered it?

E

Elizium

Just a brief question on this. Has anyone had an experience within training or away from the dojo/Kwoon?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well because I'm half Hispanic I am confused with sometimes being of Asian or Arabic Origin and have had on occasion the word "paki" used or "vietnamese boat boy" very offensive. Where I live there are nearly no black people and some Indian people and some Chinese but apart from this I haven't encountered much racism.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just the opposite actually. The classes I teach have blacks, whites, and Orientals. They're all welcome and work hard.
Additional, several of our (white) Instructors have classes filled with Korean students. I always find it ironic to have white Instructors (including myself) teaching a Korean art to students of Chinese and Korean descent. One Instructor, someone I'm good friends with, promoted a Japanese student to 1st Dan. Unfortunately, he had to go back to Japan with his family.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the early 80's there was racism in the Art, but since the mid 90's haven't seen it anymore.. I guess the Art does not care your color, religion, or culture standing. The Art see no color except the one you ware around your waist, Thank God!!!!...GOD BLESS AMERICA

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As it should be. It is unthinkable that someone practicing an art capable of such power would hold negative attitudes about a group of people.
Anyway, getting your head handed to you in sparring by someone who belongs to an ethnic group you dislike would be a good way to help you see the error of your ways. I call it the Jesse Owens Syndrome.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From time to time we get people who try and talk us down or look down at us because my instructor isn't chinese. It's pretty rare nowadays but we see it every now and again. Usually it is from people who are nuts anyways and dont know what they are talking about. For one reason or another we dont have alot of African American students but seeing how my sigung (my teachers teacher) is black we never really see racsim about it.

7sm

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hate racism.

When I was growing up on the farm with my Dad, there were some pretty backwards ideas and beliefs held out there. Just about everyone was racist, and not specifically toward any one particular group, but to everyone non-white. The unfortunate part was that some of those ideas influenced me somewhat as I grew up.

I left the farm and moved to the City when I was 16. The city is full of people from all walks of life, and as time went on, my attitudes pretty much began to fall in line with what's appropriate.

I have grown alot in these past dozen years since then, and come to realize the very simple truth about people. We are all brothers and sisters travelling together. When I look back on my past behaviours and beliefs, I hate the way I was. I am disappointed in myself for allowing myself to be led. But it was never really my fault....

This is why we have a problem in our society. Parents and other adults who have never learned the lesson of equality passing down these behaviours to children and others who look up to them. Filthy.

As a father, as an adult, as a human, I owe to my daughter and all of the next generation my sincere effort to make my generation the last of the haters.

OP
O

OC Kid

I used to belong to a JKA system and the if you arent Japanese you aient nuttin. I went to a couple of their tournaments and only Japanese Instructors could sit in the Instructors area. I had a talk with Dan Ivan once who told me they wouldnt even let his son sit there because he was half Japanese not full.

I am also married to a Mexican lady. She speaks broken english with a heavy latin accent. We have recieved racist remarks actions from both white and hispanic communities including the business communities. Once my wife took my babay son to urgent care and was refused treatment even though we had health ins. But there was a mix up as I just changed insurances. They said they we were not insured. So my wife said We'll pay for the treatment just look at my baby, she said she would run to the ATM and get money to pay for the visit. They told her she would loose the appoint ment. she came home crying.

I called up their hmo officer and reamed them out of course they denied the whole thing. Claimed I didnt have insurance/. I explained the whole thing, then they found the new records . Again they denied the whole thing. I told them " You can say what you want but she had a appointment wasnt allowed to see the doctor even after she offered to pay and returned home. She is one her way back there now. If there are any more problems even a hick up Ill be calling my attourney and he'll be calling you.' When she arrived they met her in the reception area with a wheel chair (believe it or not) along with the doctors nurse, receptionist and HMO officer.
They knew what the did and thought they were messin Juan Jose from Santa Fe.
My wife on her job was told numerous times by the latins, why did you marry that white boy. Latins are much better and recieved some harrasment , insults ect until I called her the company owner explained what was going on and I was not about to have my wife up with any racist sexual remarks. (latins from Mexico dont really complain about that sort of thing at least not back then). The owner had a talk and sent the employees to be trained. Ive lost so called M/A friends over our marriage and so has my wife.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems so ridiculous. Racism is a complete non sequitor. We learn in basic Logic that the idea of a small group being representative of all does not follow. That is a complete misuse of inductive reasoning. Its sick, really.

OP
M

muaythaifreak

I have a problem with races, I hate NASCAR.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm so white, I'm green. I grew up in the L.A. area / Southern California in mixed neighborhoods all my life, and I never cared if someone looked different than I did. I had asian friends, black friends, hispanic friends, middle-eastern friends, you name it. After I moved to Orange County, the L.A. riots occurred and it was painful not being able to go to the places where I bought my comics growing up or even drive down certain streets without the hateful looks.

And, in O.C., there is a large Vietnamese population near where I used to live - it's called Little Saigon. I would go over there and wander in the Asian markets. People would just ignore me when I went in to buy something, or say it was way more expensive than what they just sold the same thing to another asian for.

The real shame here is that ignorant bigots shape the reputation for most white people and people like me get to enjoy their stupid aftermath. *sigh*

OP
E

Elizium

Here in the UK we know where the Asain/Muslims live. They have their area and local places for worship. The dojo that I go to has an open door policy. In a town where the Muslim and Pakistan people are, we have a few that are not white.

One group that has set itself up as a political party called the BNP are saying that they do not want the UK in Europe. That is fine. 95% of the UK agree, but the underline message of the BNP and this is their real agenda, is to deport all muslim and non white to any other country that they think they came from. This does not matter if they were born in the UK or have a right to be here.

It is people like this that state non whites are inferior. But they seem to like the chinese food takeaway and the asian curries that they buy.

To me people are people, and the most dangerous weapon is the mind.

OP
T

TKD USA

It's sad what all of you had to go through, it really is I'm just happy all of you handled it with dignity and respect. Well I'm an African that was born in Armerica and even though I don't get teased or mistreated in the Dojang that doesn'tmean it never happened. White people didn't tease me, neither did Hispanics, or Asians, I was teased by my same skin color... Blacks. Through elementary school there were many racist remarks that all came from black people. They would tell me to go back to the jungle and call me names like African bootie scratcher. It really made me hate school, so I joined Martial Arts hoping it will make me feel better about myself, and the rest is history.

So in the long run Martial arts really helped me.

OP
E

Elizium

TKD USA said:
It's sad what all of you had to go through, it really is I'm just happy all of you handled it with dignity and respect. Well I'm an African that was born in Armerica and even though I don't get teased or mistreated in the Dojang that doesn'tmean it never happened. White people didn't tease me, neither did Hispanics, or Asians, I was teased by my same skin color... Blacks. Through elementary school there were many racist remarks that all came from black people. They would tell me to go back to the jungle and call me names like African bootie scratcher. It really made me hate school, so I joined Martial Arts hoping it will make me feel better about myself, and the rest is history.

So in the long run Martial arts really helped me.
It is good to hear you rose above what was being done and came out a better person. Well done bud.

OP
L

LadyDragon

Growing up in south florida I really have a melting pot of all types of people. I myself am half Cuban and half Puerto Rican. But was born and raised in Miami. I speak spanish and speak perfect english. I have friends from all races and back grounds.

And even though some of what I would hear my father and grandparents say bothered me, I still managed to change some of their views by the friends that I have had.

In this day an age especially, I think people need to put all the foolishness about race, creed and all the other b.s. aside and realize that no matter what there is some thing bigger out there that holds us all together to one another. And thats the facts that everyone has come to this contry whether it was last month, last year, or 100 years ago to escape from those types of mentalities. Yet here we are facing them all over again. Can't we get past this?!

OP
T

TKD USA

Elizium said:
It is good to hear you rose above what was being done and came out a better person. Well done bud.
Thank you.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
We used to have a joke saying down at the bar: "We're not racist; we subscribe to equal opportunity hatred: we hate everybody equally, regardless of race, religion, or gender." People, as a whole, in this day and age are not worthy of respect. Some examples, if you please: when I bump into somebody at the supermarket, I turn around, apologize and make sure they're okay. I stop so that people can cross in the cross-walk. I'm nice to waitresses/waiters, gas station attendants, food store clerks, etc.; I talk to them like people, crack jokes, and walk away hoping that our encounter made their day a little better. But yes, I'm guilty, I hate people in general. Rude, obnoxious, disrespectful people who don't care about anyone except themselves.

I'll tell you who I really hate, these hip-hop culture gangster wannabes. Depending on my mood, they either tick me off, or are so funny that I can't help but laugh at 'em. I'm a pretty humble person, but, and maybe this is just from working at a bar for so long, I do not respond well to attitude. And nowadays, it seems like everyone, and I mean everyone, has excessive amounts of attitude. [/rant]

Sorry in advance if I offend anyone. . .AJ

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in the New York-Metro area. It is interesting to read your posts and see that the rest of this country has to put up with its share of idiots. I'm sorry for that, and for the abuse some of you and your loved ones have had to endure. There is a very large Hispanic population here on Long Island as well as African American. The place where I grew up has always been well-rounded racially. My classes were integrated as of third grade - which was 1962 or thereabouts. My husband grew up in Queens, which is part of New York City, and lived in the projects all of his youth. We chose where we live precisely because our school district is small but has people of all different racial persuasions in it. We raised our sons to be color-blind and they have never referred to any of their friends by their racial backgrounds-- EVER -- and it would not have been tolerated in our house. As to the dojos and dojang I have trained in, there have been people of color in them, but I never saw any of them singled out for anything other than ma-related things. My dojos and dojang had instructors of all types - white, black, hispanic, asian - as well as Irish, Italian, Jewish, Christians of all types, probably a few Moslems, [although I can't be sure of that] and so on.

Not to stir the pot, but -- you all are discussing obvious character traits provoking racism. What about the not-so-obvious - religious differences?

Interesting thread.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider issues with religeous differences to fall under the category of racism, rather, religeous intolerance. Only because the word 'racism' implies decendancy, rather than making reference to belief system. However, I see where you are going with that.

What is interesting is that I can well imagine there are multitudes of people who would think of themselves as being rational or 'equal opportunity' type people with regards to race difference, but may take an entirely different approach in the context of religeous differences. Bizarre eh? Are both situations not borne of the same limited mindset?

Good post Tiger.

OP
E

Elizium

when I first started school I spoke in a Scottish accent. My parents were Scottish and came from the borders and East Ayrshire area on the south west coast od Scotland. So as I grew up I had a scottish accent. At the age of 5 when I started school no one understood me. Only one girl who has scottish parents could. It took ages for them to understand me.

Now I have a Yorkshire accent. We sometimes drop the 'H' a bit and elongate the vowel in speech. A bit like Sean Bean but more rougher. But the strange thing is, in Scotland at the age of 10 I was beaten up by kids for having an English accent and told to go home. To them I was foreign. Now when I go to Scotland, they just say "you speak well and you seem to have lost your accent. Where are you from?"

Latest Discussions