Questions on Chang Chuan ( Longfist)

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am new to this style and have only been training for a little over a month. I have background but from a different style ( Kempo) and just was wondering about the best way to stretch and how often. The goal being front and side splits with muscle control as well. Holding extended kicks etc..... How often shoudl I practice stretches? Everynight? Do I ease into it every other day to start then increase ? Any help is appreciated.

chen

White Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 Questions:
1.Where are you learning from this style?
2.Is thos links will help my to learn this style?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
bowser666

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have mentioned in other posts of yours that you should only get training from your Sifu ( Teacher) in regards to the style you practice. YouTube videos and dvd's are not a good method for learning on their own. Check with your teacher first sir. He will be your best resource.

In answer to your question about where I am learning, see my signature below.

chen

White Belt
Reaction score
OK, my Question will be WHY? why I need to learn only from my "SIFU". I want to get ahed in my training and studing in Northern Shaolin. I have lots of videos to learn from them more then my teacher can help me.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, my Question will be WHY? why I need to learn only from my "SIFU". I want to get ahed in my training and studing in Northern Shaolin. I have lots of videos to learn from them more then my teacher can help me.

Wow... such respect for your teacher. I'm sure he's proud of you too...

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The reason why you need to learn from a qualified teacher is because
there is certain details that can not be learned from video.
Example: I was practicing a form with my teacher it looked right to me felt right to me as well but because I was slightly off it made the difference between a stronger stance. Only a teacher can show you this.

I suggested in the other thread if you can not find a teacher to at least contact someone so you can at least have some sort of guidance.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

my opinion is the best thing to do is to discuss your interest in dvd / video instruction with your teacher. That way you show respect, s/he knows where you are and can tailor his / her attention to the changes in your movement with knowledge. It is true that dvd/ video training is incomplete but if your teacher is aware and is willing to help you..this is a good thing. Seek knowledge where ever you can find it. But test it's truthfullness viability and compatability with your base..i.e. your teacher.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

My question is why do you want to learn this at all, what is your goal of learning Changquan or any of the styles you want to learn by DVD?

As for what else has already been said by others here I agree completely with what they have already said so I need not add anything along those lines.

chen

White Belt
Reaction score
I think I understand what you mean. Yesterday I was in class (with my teacher) and he corrected my movments of pushing to be stronger although it didnt make a huge difference I know what mean jadecluodalchemist. I wanted to check for more teachers in this style but I guess I'm not that interested in learning that. to be honest I wanted to learn it so I will be able to help my friend to learn it but I guess it wont help. so I just learn from what I have to help my friend and then I'll serch for a teacher in that. It got me interested in that.

To clfsean post I'll respond in my following words. I do have respect for my teacer and I will ask him about this subject. He just was busy all this time and he will be busy so I guess I'll have to find the right time to do that.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I understand what you mean. Yesterday I was in class (with my teacher) and he corrected my movments of pushing to be stronger although it didnt make a huge difference I know what mean jadecluodalchemist. I wanted to check for more teachers in this style but I guess I'm not that interested in learning that. to be honest I wanted to learn it so I will be able to help my friend to learn it but I guess it wont help. so I just learn from what I have to help my friend and then I'll serch for a teacher in that. It got me interested in that.

If your friend wants to learn, bring him to your sifu. It'll be better for your friend.

What is it "exactly" you're trying/wanting to learn?

To clfsean post I'll respond in my following words. I do have respect for my teacer and I will ask him about this subject. He just was busy all this time and he will be busy so I guess I'll have to find the right time to do that.

That's not what you were initially saying. So with that in mind, sorry if I sounded rough, but that's not what was on the screen. I stand by my last statement to you, but understand better now what you're saying.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Just as a note there are MAJOR differences in applications, power and force that may look similar if you are talking Taijiquan, Changquan, Xingyiquan, Bagua, Tongbei, Sanda, Yiquan, etc. Just because a sifu (teacher) knows one does not mean he has a clue about the other. Like I said in another post, I would not ask my Taiji sifu about sanda because he would not know (even after over 50 years of Taiji) and I would not ask my sanda sifu about taiji (even after over 30 years of Sanda) because he would not know. Nor would I ask my past Wing Chun sifu about either for the same reasons.

As to helping your friends, it is commendable but not possible if you are learning from a DVD.

chen

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont trying to learn anything but tai chi I just gathering more info about MA from videos. About what I saied about my teacher in the beginning it was a mistake that now I know that I will not repeat it. Sorry for bothering you so much. I will try to learn from teachers the next styles in tai chi so I most likely will not ask for more help. Sorry and Thank YOU.

OP
bowser666

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We are only saying these things, because training isn't something that you can fast forward and know it and understand it. It takes time and patience, if you do not have the patience then maybe you are in the wrong system.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
... I most likely will not ask for more help. Sorry and Thank YOU.

On the contrary, there are a lot of knowledgeable and highly experienced people here, and you SHOULD ask for help, if you feel you need it.

Some very good points have been made, and they were made from a point of honesty. You need to learn from a good teacher. You cannot learn well from a video. That is very very sound advice that you have been given, and you would do best to heed that advice.

A lot of people come here and start expressing the notion that they can learn from a video and they don't need a teacher. This is a foolish position to take, and probably people here get a little tired of seeing the same foolishness over and over (I'm NOT calling you a fool, by the way, I'm just saying that it is a foolish idea to think that it is possible to learn well thru video). So maybe sometimes people respond in a way that comes across as a little rough or short-tempered. It's just because we have seen these same foolish ideas expressed, over and over.

But this is an open and sharing community, and you should feel welcome to ask questions and gain whatever insights you can from those willing to share from their own experiences.

chen

White Belt
Reaction score
My teacher told me when I showed him what I've learnd from online videos was:"what chen just did is to learn how to study movments." can you tell me what it means becous I was sure that in those words he wanted to tell me good job keep it up, But I dont know becous my teacher only learned MA for 12 years. Can you tell me what he wanted to say to me.

P.S
Dont worry I will ask him 2.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
what chen just did is to learn how to study movments."

There is more to just learning form and even more so in internal arts.

Basically if you learned just the form and movements you have learned the superfical part of internal arts. When you are able to learn rooting,sinking,silk reeling,body posture and so on do you start to learn the deeper meaning of the internal arts.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have three teachers, practiced for 31 years, and still do not understand half of what they are trying to show me. One of my masters, Leung Shum, purposely only puts certain forms on DVD moving a certain way so he can detect if someone learned from videos or learned the true art from him or one of his seniors. My young sidei, anything pursued well is pursued over time. Unlike most in the young generation today, those of us who have been in it for awhile realize that the longer one trains, the more one does not know! The dvds cannot show you what it is like to feel true jing from your teacher, when your alignment is off, when your foot movement is correct, when your breathing is right, etc. The dvd can show you the proper sequence, but cannot show you the connectivity from one stance to another, and even if it shows applications, until you have actually fought your teacher and/or your seniors, the dvd cannot show you how to deal with the changing conditions that any real fight will cause! The experienced people on here are not trying to insult you or tell you bad things, just to warn you that dvds do not fight back!!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have three teachers, practiced for 31 years, and still do not understand half of what they are trying to show me. One of my masters, Leung Shum, purposely only puts certain forms on DVD moving a certain way so he can detect if someone learned from videos or learned the true art from him or one of his seniors. My young sidei, anything pursued well is pursued over time. Unlike most in the young generation today, those of us who have been in it for awhile realize that the longer one trains, the more one does not know! The dvds cannot show you what it is like to feel true jing from your teacher, when your alignment is off, when your foot movement is correct, when your breathing is right, etc. The dvd can show you the proper sequence, but cannot show you the connectivity from one stance to another, and even if it shows applications, until you have actually fought your teacher and/or your seniors, the dvd cannot show you how to deal with the changing conditions that any real fight will cause! The experienced people on here are not trying to insult you or tell you bad things, just to warn you that dvds do not fight back!!

This should be a sticky or something!! Excellent post!!