Question from Norway about reality based self defense in the US.

thenovice

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum to post in. Butt I have a question to ask and I hope someone in here can help me with some input.

Me and a friend are planing a trip to the US from Norway and we are planing to train reality based self defense.

So my question is witch are the top 5 to 10 reality based self defense courses, seminars or concepts we can attend? Or the best trainers we can train with?

All input are very appreciated.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum to post in. Butt I have a question to ask and I hope someone in here can help me with some input.

Me and a friend are planing a trip to the US from Norway and we are planing to train reality based self defense.

So my question is witch are the top 5 to 10 reality based self defense courses, seminars or concepts we can attend? Or the best trainers we can train with?

All input are very appreciated.
I advise you start training now, so that when you find a seminar, you aren't just fumbling through an introduction. :)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you shoot? Are you looking for unarmed only, mix of unarmed and knife, knife only, gun, all of the above? Different answers depending on your requirements. Also will you be on the East Coast or West Coast?

OP
T

thenovice

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers so far : )

Here comes some more information.

Me and my friend have some training experience in martial arts from before. We have nearly 10 years of experience each with martial arts, but during the years we have been training different martial arts like Judo, Jujutsu, Kickboxing, Taekwondo and now we both train Krav Maga.

My friend is a former military hand to hand combat instructor in the Norwegian army (13 years) and I currently work for the Norwegian Custom and border patrol so we both have some experience from a job requiring some tactical skills.

We are now interesting in trying something besides traditional martial arts. So we are looking for “Reality Based Self Defense concepts” that are hand to hand combat. We are not looking for systems containing shooting and that are manly containing fighting with weapons or knifes. Some knife-fighting are find but not to much.

We have not decided yet where we are traveling so we are open for suggestions all over US. We are staying for 3-4 weeks and can travel from place to place.

We have been looking on the internet (Google) and systems like Defendo, Combat systema, Tony Blauer Tactical Systems, C.O.B.R.A self defense and Charles Nelson Self-Defense Systems and alike are systems or concepts that we are are thinking of. Would be interesting to here from people who have had some first hand experiences with concepts like this.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might add Peyton Quinn (RMCAT), and Rory Miller (Chiron Training) to your list -- among many others. Time and locations will really shape what might be available.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hurricane Combat Arts trains in both reality based combatives and MMA for the ring or street. There's a branch school somewhat nearby in southern Sweden so maybe you can check them out. Then if or when you come the U.S. and you visit Las Vegas not only will you have Brian VanCise to train with, you could also get some training time in with us? When do you plan on visiting the U.S.?

Latest Discussions