Question about gloves

dj1971

White Belt
Reaction score
First off - hi! Been lurking here awhile and thought I'd join in.

As my rather unoriginal thread title suggests, I have a question about gloves. I understand what oz. gloves are best for sparring, bag/pad training, etc., but the styles of gloves are where I'm getting confused. For example, I've seen gloves like these recommended for training in general:

http://www.muaythaiart.com/Boxing_gloves_265.html

But then also these specifically for bag training:

http://www.muaythaiart.com/Training_Bag_Gloves_491.html

The second pair seem to be much smaller than the first. What kind of difference do these styles make, if any? If I'm looking for gloves specifically for bag/pad training, which would be the option?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The small ones are bag gloves, designed just for hitting the bag, and IMO are not a good choice. You're better off getting a pair of good boxing gloves then those little things.

It will be better on your hands, be the same type of gloves you use in a fight / sparring and the extra weight, while small, will help your workout a little ;)

no_kata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The small ones are bag gloves, designed just for hitting the bag, and IMO are not a good choice. You're better off getting a pair of good boxing gloves then those little things.

It will be better on your hands, be the same type of gloves you use in a fight / sparring and the extra weight, while small, will help your workout a little ;)

You do get a lot better feel out of the bag gloves. If you have your wrist even slightly bent you'll know it on contac with the bag because there's hardly any padding like there is in a regular sparring glove. Also using bag gloves saves wear and tear on your sparring gloves.

Both gloves have their intended purposes. If you can afford it then get both. If you don't want to spend the money then get sparring gloves only.

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally use a pair of 16oz Fairtex gloves for sparring and then a pair of neverlast's for bag work(also 16oz'ers they were my first pair of gloves).

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never did like the little bag gloves. I have 2 pair of leather Top Contender (Ringside) 14oz for sparring/bag use. I also have a pair of Masterline 10oz.