Qualities of your best teacher(s)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We've all had teachers who we remember fondly as being the "best". Sometimes they are our MA teachers, sometimes they were teachers in grade school or elsewhere. I'm interested in finding out what personal qualities these people had which made them so good; in remembering your favorite teachers, can you pin down their unique styles, habits, or whatever, that stood out above the others? Did one of your teachers hit upon a method that uniquely motivated you?

In my case, my favorite teachers had some kind of ability to inspire. I don't know how they did it, but they seemed to just know what each of their students needed in order to be motivated. I swear one of them was psychic, he'd say what I'd been thinking a moment earlier and he already had a solution or an answer. Teachers, is there some sort of secret to how you do this? :)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
my favorite MA coach allows & encourages creativity. he'll show us how he does a move, then this is always followed by "now make it work for you." of course, he always oversees to make sure no one is doing anything dangerous.

on the other hand, my junior high art teacher gave me an F on a painting because i painted the sky darker at the top & lighter at the bottom, instead of vice versa as she had told us to.

jf

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
patient, kind, encouraging, not easily angered, patient, protective, sense of humor, patient, encouraging. I can't help but throw out the term "parent-like".
I lucked out with my Sifu.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, I can appreciate a patient teacher. I'd even go so far as to say that without patience, one shouldn't even consider teaching.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would put my current Kempo Instructor high on my list. He teaches us using a varitety of methods, including trial and error. After we completely goof a move, he will show us a nuance that we had missed. He is also in it for the love of the art, and not money, and it shows.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Connecting. I always did better with teachers that I connected with...and they were all different...so I can't pin down exactly what quality they might have all shared that inspired me to do better. Male/female, young/old, big and fearsome/small and clownish...the teachers that I do best with are the ones that simply take the time to 'see me'. You know that you are their focus of attention, and they bridge the gap to reach you...until you can meet them.

Were you ever in a class, and the teacher would be looking around to ask a question...and you just 'knew' they were going to pick you out? YOu can feel their eyes on you...and you know...there is no worming off the hook. LOL!

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Several qualities that I have been so fortunate to enjoy from my teachers have already been listed.

However, I have learned just as much (maybe more) from bad teachers. Seeing how to NOT DO things is just as powerful an influence on us.

Thinking back to grade school - which teachers do we remember? The best, and the worst. I don't remember any of the ones that were just "average".

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a kid who had low self-esteem when I started MA. My instructor gave me the tools & encouragement to build me up. If he would have told me I could fly, I'd have believed him.....good thing he never did:ultracool

I think encouraging students to do their best & giving them the tools to do that (ie. pushing them to do their best) is one of the best qualities of an instructor.

F

foggymorning162

Not much to add except there are those teachers who seem to make you feel like they are only teaching you no matter how many people are in the class, I think they would also make good salesman.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite teaches because he loves the art and comes across as if he is teaching you because he wants to share something important with you not because it's a job. He has the humility to allow you to actually like him on a personal level instead of being in awe of him.

My least favorite was just the opposite. He taught because he needed the adoration of students who thought "Wow, I'll never be that good." That huge ego drove many students away.

My style is very much one of "Let's explore these techniques together" and I end every class with a line up in which I speak to each and every student individually for just a second to at least acknowledge that I'm appreciative of them choosing to learn with me.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Each of my three teachers in the last 31 years has given me something special. My Ying Jow master has given me the love of the ART, the love of the style he taught me, and how to BE a master of one's self as well as others! He embodies the better qualities of the I Ching to me. My second teacher, my Shaolin master, has at times in the past been very brutal, very hard, and very uncompromising. But, alas,he has also taught me never to give up, that I could be much better inside than I was, and the connection between mind and body is absolutely necessary. Currently, under alot of pressure, he has taught me the grace to humble one's self and look at others still better and learn from them. My third teacher taught me the beauty of the internal, fa jing, relaxing, blaming no one but one's self (if you get hit it is your fault, not what your opponent did but what you did not do, thus it is your responsibility in life to change, not others), kindness, and seeing that not being big was no impediment to being good! He also taught me the joy of true brotherhood. Also, I have a 25 year kung fu brother in Atlanta who taught me humility, unconditional love for self, and the ability to accept things.

In all, I have been fortunate and am very grateful to all my three teachers, and try to take the best of each one to my own students, especially never worrying that teaching them everything may make them better than me.....as a matter of fact, should that not be the goal of every good teacher?!

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favorite instructor of all time is Eugene Ho in Hawaii. I was stationed in HI from 89-92 while in the Navy. A couple of friends and I began taking Siu Lum Pai Kung Fu. I do not know if he is still teaching or not.

Mr. Ho was tough. It seemed that his entire being was made of iron. He was very quiet, but had total command of the class. The things that I learned in 2 short years with him stick with me today.

The thing that made the biggest impression on me was his insistence that we develop stamina in the Horse Position, and that we "harden" our hands and forearms with constant contact.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The teachers who I liked were those who explained things slowly and over and over again. Who were patient with my faults and shortcomings.

The teachers who I admired were those who would help me up or give me encouragement.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite teacher was so because of his humility. He was the toughest guy I ever met but never bragged no showed off. He was always very reserve but he had a way about him that kind of let you know that messing with him would be the wrong thing to do. He was the type that made a big deal about a properly executed technique you did but he would always say he had more to learn when ever you complimented him or told him how great he was.
He was wize beyond his years and had a way of expressing his love for the art that I have not experienced with any other teacher since.

lemon_meringue

Green Belt
Reaction score
My best teacher was the kind of person who would just never give up on someone or lose his temper. I learned a lot about self control from him. He would work with a student tirelessly- day in, day out- until they made real progress. He is also extremely talented at his art, and always made sure we were performing to the best of our ability by pushing us that little bit further. Even when I thought I had reached my limit, he showed me that I could do so much more. I believe you are very lucky if you can find a teacher who:

A) Genuinely loves what he does
B) Knows exactly what he's doing
C) Has the amazing ability to bring even the most difficult of concepts down to a beginner's level and explain it adequately and in a way that inspires.

You could have the most talented martial artist in the world- but they may be a useless teacher. You need a good balance of both.

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Humor and positive reinforcement.

I had teachers who were like "I am here to make my 20 dollars an hour" I don't payed a lot, so I don't have to be nice." See they would stand in from of the class and shout out commands. Make fun of less skilled students.
Opposite of that were the teachers, who would encourage every little progress. Tell jokes etc.

P.S. I don't like when teachers compliment students who did not improve. Yo know those who don't know when and how to compliment. Some times a positive look is enough. If you tell a student who is trying hard the same compliment as the one who is not trying hard, you take away the motivation form the hard worker, because he see the other one getting the same compliment and putting in no effort.
I think it takes a person who know how to do it to be a good teacher. You must have an experience, a gentle fun loving nature, and be born with people's skills. ( I guess you can learn people skills as well.)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My best instructors would encourage you to do your best. If you were having a problem, they'd walk you through it if needed, or push you back in "line"- depending on if you've done it better in the past. Having a good sense of humor is key, too. Also, took a genuine interest in what they were doing, and not thinking of the students as being there for a nice game of chess as opposed to martial arts class.

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My favorite teachers have been those who have patience, expertise, and humility. I have had teachers who think their great, but are not. I have had teachers who bark orders like they were in the military. I had enough of that in the Marines. I have also had teachers who are impatient with students who lack the basics. They have mastered them and think that everyone else should have them down. Good instuctors should also demand the best from their students. If you don't practice outside of class, are sloppy in practice, or simply do not expect the most from yourself the teacher needs to let you know what they see. Lastley, a good teacher is a good role model.

Latest Discussions