Qs re: purchasing a sword

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so I've always wanted a sword. However, when I actually purchase a sword, I want to make sure that it is a high quality sword that will last forever, as I will be using under less than extreme circumstances. So:

1. Katana or Ninja-To? I like the ninja-to, honestly, because they have them in all the ninja movies. . .lame, I know. But which is better?

2. Where to buy, or have one made?

3. What I should expect to pay for a solid, high-quality sword?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
AJ

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not assuming that you want to use it as a weapon; but would it be accurate to surmise that you'd like a well-constructed sword that could be used effectively as a weapon?

Also -- is historical accuracy important to you? If so, you should be aware that the "ninja-to" is a modern fantasy creation and was not carried by historic ninja.

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't get a well-made one you could actually use if you wanted to, though. For that, I'd recommend this one. The steel is not forge-folded, but the blade is differentially heat-treated, e.g. harder along the edge for cutting & edge-retention and softer at the spine for flexibility.

If you want to know more about historic Japanese straight swords, I'd recommend reading this thread in the Nihon-to Forum over at Sword Forum International.

M

MisterMike

Yea, I like the Hanwei. They are a good entry level blade for real practice.

(Shameless plug, I know)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had my Katana custom made for me by the folks at www.liveblade.com

They were very helpful. Rather than purchase somthing off their page, I told them what I was looking for, selected fittings (fuchi/koshira/tusba etc) from several other sites... they ordered them and made the katana for me.

They even had the Tuska-ito custom dyed for me since the color i wanted was not availible.

It took a long time to get, but I feel it was well worth it.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
it might depend on your budgit. if money is tight you might have to go to bud k! hee hee!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
it might depend on your budgit. if money is tight you might have to go to bud k! hee hee!

HEY!

I have a lot of swords and knives from Bud K.

Granted... none of them would be worth a damn in "real" combat... but my recroom looks like somthing out of Dungeons and Dragons, for well under 200 bucks!

Hehe.

G

Genin Andrew

I recently purchased a katana for $250 australian dollars,it isnt something i would take into battle but it is a very good sword for what i paid(good to train with) for a very high quality katana you can expect to pay no less than $800 american dollars,but obviously this varies,you may find a real bargain somewhere.i would recommend www.coldsteel.com they have some nice swords.

the katana i just purchased was from www.katanas.com.au they also have great care kits for your sword.

techno thanks for that www.liveblade.com link(checkin it out now and lookin pretty good).

hope this helps
respect
-andrew

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Genin Andrew said:
techno thanks for that www.liveblade.com link(checkin it out now and lookin pretty good).

hope this helps
respect
-andrew

Same to you, they have some very nice looking accessories at that link you gave!

Latest Discussions