Favorite Samurai/Ninja movies

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was just looking around the net for a few new movies, preferably the older Japanese versions and realized there are way more than I had ever thought. I own "Seven Samurai", "Sword of Doom", "Samurai 1" and "Yojimbo", all awesome! I was really wanting to get some good ones but would hate to buy a stupid movie. Can anyone suggest any good Samurai/Ninja movies. What are your favorites? So far "Seven Samurai" is a must have for anyone. Excellent movie that gets better everytime I see it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sanjuro with Toshiro Mufune
Ran by Akira Kurosawa
Throne of Blood by Akira Kurosawa
Rashomon by Akira Kurosawa
Samurai Rebellion with Toshiro Mufune
Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa (supposedly the base story for Star Wars A New Hope)
Samurai Assassin with Toshiro Mifune
Red Beard by Akira Kurosawa
Shogun the original mini series (believe it or not I think it's not that bad at all)
Zatôichi: The Blind Swordsman (2003) starring and dir. by Takeshi Kitano (the musical number is woefully distracting at the end but nonetheless a great film).

Those I own and I apologize for gratituous bias for films by Kurosawa and/or starring Mifune. The ones in bold are personal favorites.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen bits and pieces of "Shogun" when it first aired on television back in the early 80's. I liked what I saw back then, though I was still a kid. I'll have to rent the DVDs and watch the rest of it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I've seen bits and pieces of "Shogun" when it first aired on television back in the early 80's. I liked what I saw back then, though I was still a kid. I'll have to rent the DVDs and watch the rest of it.

I didnt find Shogun particularly impressive.

I have a decently large collection of old Samurai/Ninja Films... some of my Favorites:

Samuari I, II, & III (much more drama than action)
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro (the "sequal" to yojimbo)
Chushingura (classic 43 ronin story)
Kagemusha (SP?)
Shinobi No Mono (I still say these movies are what started the ninja craze)
Zoku Shinobi No Mono
Owls Castle (not so old, but a great ninja flick)
Red Shadow (again not so old, but a fun ninja comedy)
Heaven and Earth (Not the american film, the samurai flick)

I buy a lot of asian cinema, some films better than others, from a place in CA that imports from China, Japan and Korea... good selections!

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I notice that no one has mentioned "The Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise. :p

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Well he DID request titles of "older" movies... Though that one wasn't too bad at all. Actually kinda sad movie about that a whole era was literally forced out of existence or put into obscurity so that the country could move forward with the rest of the world.

OP
S

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:

That movie is okay but it's too fast and you can't really discern any techniques in any of the fights. The two duels with the bokken were my favorite parts. Has anyone seen the "49 Ronin", name?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
soul_sword34 said:
That movie is okay but it's too fast and you can't really discern any techniques in any of the fights. The two duels with the bokken were my favorite parts. Has anyone seen the "49 Ronin", name?
You're two Ronin too many, it was Genroku chushingura (1941) aka "The 47 Ronin" which was remade as Chushingura - Hana no maki yuki no maki (1962)
aka "The Loyal 47 Ronin" and as Shijushichinin no shikaku (1994) aka "47 Ronin"
(source imdb.com)
I saw the original '41 version... (yawn). It's supposed to be a true story.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you liked Yojimbo, you have to get Sanjuro as others have reccomended.

And shouldn't you have started this thread in the rec room?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to love Yojimbo. While this next one is technically not a Samurai/Ninja movie it is more Japanese myth and ghost stories. I just
have to say that my favorite Japanese movie is Kwaiden! It has four
distinct ghost stories in it and some Samurai stuff in the background. This movie is simply awesome!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Moderator's note:

Thread moved to more appropriate forum.

Jennifer/Swordlady
-MT Moderator

OP
S

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
47 Ronin, yes! Sorry about the thread Moderator. I'm still learning the customs of this Dojo. LOL!! So the first '41 Ronin movie is a yawn huh? I loved Toshiro Mifune in Sanjuro and in my opinion has the best sword scene ever. The scene where he faces 8 attackers. Yojimbo, everytime I watch that movie I get more out of it. Toshiro Mifune is so amusing to watch. "7 Samurai" so far is the best. I've never seen a Japanese Ninja movie and was wondering how they compare to American crap? Although I must admit I still love to watch "Pray for Death" and "Ninja 3: Domination". Anyone seen "American Samurai"? I always liked that one.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
soul_sword34 said:
47 Ronin, yes! Sorry about the thread Moderator. I'm still learning the customs of this Dojo. LOL!! So the first '41 Ronin movie is a yawn huh? I loved Toshiro Mifune in Sanjuro and in my opinion has the best sword scene ever. The scene where he faces 8 attackers. Yojimbo, everytime I watch that movie I get more out of it. Toshiro Mifune is so amusing to watch. "7 Samurai" so far is the best. I've never seen a Japanese Ninja movie and was wondering how they compare to American crap? Although I must admit I still love to watch "Pray for Death" and "Ninja 3: Domination". Anyone seen "American Samurai"? I always liked that one.
Well if you don't know already... Yojimbo (1961) was the inspiration for the Clint Eastwood star-maker "A Fistful of Dollars" (1964). It gives insight to the brilliance of Kurosawa and the masterful performance of Mifune. With Sanjuro I always loved the sword fight in the end. It was over at the draw of the swords.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
soul_sword34 said:
I've never seen a Japanese Ninja movie and was wondering how they compare to American crap? Although I must admit I still love to watch "Pray for Death" and "Ninja 3: Domination".

It depends on the movie. Check out Shinobi No Mono... much more serious than american ninja films, more like a Yojimbo type film. Owls Castle is another good, serious Ninja flick from Japan... if you want something campy like the american ones... I can reccomend a few of those too.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
"Nine and 1/2 Ninjas" is suprisingly entertaining.
Sean

Nah... it doesnt hold a candle to "Ninja Acadamy", although I liked the Mom ninja's shuriken earrings.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, Yojimbo hands down. It's actually based on a story by Raymond Chandler.

JeffJ

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I have Seven Samurai as well...Great flick......I also have all four pieces of Shogun on DVD. I watch it every so often.

Latest Discussions