Punishing grapples

LoneWolfPrince253

White Belt
Reaction score
I honestly want to know, if there’s such thing as a punishing grapple. I.E. A block that can throw an opponent to go to the mat and do ground work or throw them down and go for a tap out or is it even possible? Punishing Grapple in definition means to grab a strike and take them to the ground on top or to go to the ground with a arm or foot and punish them with a submission hold. To stop a blow and go for the point or takedown.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just wanted to welcome you to Martial Talk, LoneWolfPrince. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never heard of the phrase "Punishing Grapple" I know counters that do what you are adking.

OP
LoneWolfPrince253

LoneWolfPrince253

White Belt
Reaction score
I never heard of the phrase "Punishing Grapple" I know counters that do what you are adking.
Well, Punishing Grapple in definition means to grab a strike and take them to the ground on top or to go to the ground with a arm or foot and punish them with a submission hold. To stop a blow and go for the point or takedown.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That’s called?
It's just "striking art and throwing art integration". You can call it

- combat wrestling,
- combat Judo,
- combat Chinese wrestling,

to distinguish it from the sport.

If you wait for your opponent to punch you, you then wrap his arm, and throw him, that's more difficult. It's easier if you punch your opponent, when he blocks your punch, you wrap his arm, and throw him.

OP
LoneWolfPrince253

LoneWolfPrince253

White Belt
Reaction score
It does rather regularly in MMA. Sometimes it's from a clinch, sometimes it's evading the entry for the punch (to get to something like a single-leg).
I do have a submission hold I drag them to the ground and on their back to arm bar the dragged arm. Would that be the same?

OP
LoneWolfPrince253

LoneWolfPrince253

White Belt
Reaction score
My friend helped me with how my move would look like with cartoon characters.

Attachments

• 362B0329-C33D-4F12-86DF-F93BD925A5BA.jpeg
    362B0329-C33D-4F12-86DF-F93BD925A5BA.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 139

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since this is on the MMA forum, I'm thinking the thrust here is sport combat. I am confused about the question of applying a submission hold after the takedown. Why else would you take him down? Just to score on the scorecards? What about ground and pound? That sounds punishing.

I'm not into MMA, BJJ, or wrestling. But when I see the words, "punishing takedown," I visualize the punishment directly resulting from the takedown. In other words, the takedown itself is punishing. For example, the "piledriver" where the opponent is slammed onto the matt head first (although I've only seen this on pro wrestling.) I did see Matt Hughes win a bout with a body slam. Ouch!

To leave the realm of sports and look at actual combat, a punishing takedown could be hooking the arm and taking the guy down, keeping hold of it so it turns into an arm bar as he's falling. If you then cinch up on his arm, his own weight going down will aid in snapping his elbow - the takedown supplies the punishment. There are takedowns that can rip up a shoulder, wrench a back, break a wrist or even neck as the opponent is on his way down, or as he hits the ground. Fight over.

Last edited:
OP
LoneWolfPrince253

LoneWolfPrince253

White Belt
Reaction score
So, it is a tap out punish. I thought so, because I’m trained in MMA, Judo and Tae Kwon Do. Never entered the ring, but want to for the fun.

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I honestly want to know, if there’s such thing as a punishing grapple. I.E. A block that can throw an opponent to go to the mat and do ground work or throw them down and go for a tap out or is it even possible? Punishing Grapple in definition means to grab a strike and take them to the ground on top or to go to the ground with a arm or foot and punish them with a submission hold. To stop a blow and go for the point or takedown.
Maybe a groin kick? Or one of those fancy karate arm twists! Yes, those hurt a lot. Another way (I've never tried this out before so I can't guarantee that it works) is a hook followed with a kick (oof that was simple :) ) I hope this (mini) guide helped you.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have done it off clinching or thai grappling if the other dude is a straight up dud.

But not against anyone good

Latest Discussions